Getting new members

Old May 11th 11, 12:23 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony V View Post
On 5/9/2011 11:49 PM, Nyal Williams wrote:
Martin Eiler keeps saying that we need a celebrity glider pilot, who would
make it "cool."

we have one - Cliff Robertson. He even made a few DVDs

http://store.ssa.org/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=706700
http://www.natgeoeducationvideo.com/...l-wave-soaring

Doesn't seem to have helped much.

Tony "6N"
Would like to watch the video of Wave soaring by Cliff Robertson in its entirety. Only 3 minutes of the 16 minute video.

Walt
Old May 11th 11, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

Default Getting new members

I have a partially thought out idea about this. This is still half
baked so cut me a little slack.

I frequently talk to people who say they really, really want to take
up soaring but can't. When asked why not, their response is vague and
unconvincing as if they are struggling with internal motivations.

I just read a disgusting paper published under the heading "managing
consumer behavior". It scientifically laid out coercive and
manipulative methods to induce consumers to spend more money on things
they didn't really need. It's in the same category as psychological
methods to induce workers to work longer hours without asking for more
pay.

It amazes me scientists can be seduced into doing this stuff but money
must be a powerful motivator.

The thing which was most annoying was the bragging in the paper about
how successful these methods are. An example was the long lines to be
the first to buy the new iPad. People, they said, by use of
ubiquitous advertizing, can be induced to either stay at home watching
more ads (which they actually called "Psy-War" propaganda) or head for
the mall to buy something they don't need.

The powerful subliminal message in this propaganda is that individuals
aren't supposed to do anything on their own initiative or to have
spare time to do it. Their lives are supposed to be spent working
long hours and spending every dollar of their paycheck on consumer
products.

It casts seeking personal fulfillment as "weird" behavior not
conducive to corporate profits.

I suspect the vague and unconvincing answers I get are due to this
very effective commercial propaganda. Trying to recruit people into
something as personally fulfilling as soaring is to take on powerful
adversaries.

Maybe, just maybe, we should sell soaring as subversive or rebellious
- something hugely fulfilling your boss and shopping mall merchants
wouldn't approve of.

Bill Daniels
(who doesn't own a TV)
Old May 12th 11, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

But, but, but, who's Cliff Robertson? It has to be one of the newest,
youngest, hottest, names that is always appearing on those magazines at
the check-out counters.

--
Walt Connelly

Old May 13th 11, 12:34 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

OKAY, I'll do it. I would like to volunteer to take Angelina Jolie up for a glider ride. I'll sacrifice myself to help move the sport forward. Who's with me? If Angelina won't go, how about Lady GAGA? Or how about that Playboy Playmate that Heff is going to marry?

Walt
Old May 13th 11, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On May 12, 5:34*pm, Walt Connelly Walt.Connelly.
wrote:
OKAY, I'll do it. *I would like to volunteer to take Angelina Jolie up
for a glider ride. *I'll sacrifice myself to help move the sport
forward. *Who's with me? *If Angelina won't go, how about Lady GAGA? *Or
how about that Playboy Playmate that Heff is going to marry?

Walt

--
Walt Connelly

You get my vote. Go for it Walt.