Need Information To Do A 150 Hp Conversion On My C-150

Old March 2nd 05, 11:33 PM
Homesick Angel

Dear Gang,

Guess I'd better wait til my hubby finishes his 75 HP Champ project
before I try flying at 5.5 GPM. Thanks for all the advice, though.
Although a lot of if is over my head.

The best pilot I've even known couldn't read or write. never used a
POH, used a check list, and flew planes with little or no instruments.
But he was born and brought up with it and just had a feel for it. The
first few planes I flew in J3s, J5s, PA 11s, 13s, 15s had little for
instruments and the two or three-page POH wasn't much help either.
Even my '57 182 is missing about half of the contents of a newer Cessna
in the POH. So if you want to take a check ride, take it in an older
airplane and when the examiner asks you something. You can say I don't
know. He or she will say it's in the POH, and you can hand it to him
or her, and shock the heck out of him or her.

With these old airplanes I don't trust much of anything except that the
engine outta keep running and the wings should've fall off as long I
stay straight and level.

Had about two feet of rain here in Texas in the past three weeks, so
pushing the Beast from the East onto the runway here at Bangs
International and taking off probably isn't a good idea at all. Seen
far too many airplanes versus mud with the the mud winning. Had some
friends with a 172 in Maine and the instructor convinced them it would
be just fine in the mud, just have to use some more power. Well after
he got gone rototilling the runway with the plane...... That's the
trouble with a grass runway. If someone would like to donate 2,000
feet of asphalt have them E mail me ASAP.

If it doesn't stop raining soon quess I'll have to go finish covering
that Champ myself. Tom's (my husband) gone down to the new Taylorcraft
factory in LaGrange Texas and covering their airplanes so our little
Champ sits here about 75% done. Everybody check out their website at
Taylorcraft.com and if you know somebody looking to buy a plane they
should start flying out door any time now. Really wanted to fly down
Friday, dazzle them with a high-speed fly-by, but I guess the weather
is going to cooperate. Sure wish I could afford those floats a fellow
is selling in Maine, but there aren't enough lakes out here to warrant
floats.

Our first plane that we restored to near perfection, we put on floats.
That was such a blast. We had it on a little tiny pond in Maine less
than 0.5 mile across. Only one good approach...out through the
cattails. The rest of the pond was camps and trees, so we'd taxi down
towards the cattails, turn back around and then start a high speed
taxi/power turn, gain speed in a circular pattern and take off out over
the cattails. That was such a rush. Guess I should've said Tom, I
wasn't doing much of anything except praying. We had other friends
with float planes and invited them to land on White's Pond, but they
said no way. Yep Tom sure is a good pilot.

Guess I'll tell you about the second best pilot I've ever known. His
name is Major Jay T. Aubin. My stepson. There's all kinds of stuff
about him on the inernet. He had been flying Chinook helicopters for
the Maines. He was one of the first pilots we lost in Iraq. There
were 4 Americans and 8 British aboard. God bless them all. He was one
of my dear stepsons, and I miss so much. He had been in Japan for
eight years flying choppers. Twice the Maines went there to try to get
him to fly the President in Marine One. He said he had signed up for a
few other committments but then he could do it. When the war broke out
he was in Yuma AZ. We saw him the summer before and he said he was
going to school in Yuma. I said "Jay you've been flying those things
for years and you're still going to school?" He just laughed and
grinned and said yeah guess I'll get it figured out one of these days."
He didn't tell us he was going to be an instructor for Chinooks for the
"top gun type school" for Marine Aviation Weapons and Tactical Squadron
One. Wasn't til we went to Yuma for his memorial service that we found
out he was a top gun instructor. When I catch up with him one of these
days in the clouds, that "boy" has got a lot of explaining to do!!!

We always used to fight about rotors versus real wings. We had both
started flying at the same time. Well actually he used to sit on Tom's
lap and help him fly Cubs. He knew more by the time he was 5 about
airplanes than I'll probably ever know. Jay joined the Maines and Tom
and I were married at about the same time. So we would talk about
airplanes and he could explain any book knowledge that I just wasn't
getting. Good thing those planes will fly even if I don't understand
all the engineering and science behind it. But Jay had a way of
explaining things so even I could understand them. I was hoping he'd
come to Texas when he retired in a few years and help us build Champs
and Cubs, and I'd get my A&P license. I'm not one for books, would
much rather do it than read about it. After I do it, then the reading
seems to make more sense. But for now I guess I'll forget about the
A&P and just concentrate on having a plane or two and maybe getting up
the ambition to try to tame a tail dragger.

QUESTION OF THE DAY.
Maybe somebody knows the answer to this one? When you've got full
flaps on I've heard you're not supposed to slip an airplane. The only
reason I've heard is that for some reason enough air won't get over the
tail with the flaps on and you won't be able to control it. when I've
been good and high (and slow) I've put the flaps on, and tried slipping
to a (mild degree) and it everything seems to respond right. Didn't
get real radical with the slip and don't want anybody trying anything
crazy, but I just wanted to know if anything real radical was going
occur in case I had to slip sometime with the flaps on like in an
emergency and end up losing control close to the gound.

Usually the 40 degrees of flaps is bad enough so that if you cut way
down on the power you can drop the nose so bad it feels like all the
stuff in the backseat is going to come hit you in the head causing
you're standing on your nose so bad. Tom loves slipping an airplane,
the early planes didn't have flaps, so now I've become a little
accoustomed to losing 1000 to 1500 FPM and looking down the wing out
the side window at the runway. I'm sure he's give some flight
instructors heart failure. Guess everybody's got their own approaches
to flying and to things in life. Well ya' all take care and enjoy
those nice tarred runways, I'm envious of them right now.

Flying on one engine, Carol, The Homesick Angel. God bless and pray
for our troops.

Old March 3rd 05, 01:28 AM
Homesick Angel

Dear Ron,
Thought of climbing real high, pulling the red knob til it quits, and
gliding (best glide 85 estimated because my ) and see how far I get,
and then restarting and trying it again. Still haven't gotten enough
courage up to try that one yet, and hopefully never will. Some day when
I head out for Alaska I might have to try that stunt to come up with
enough gas to make it.

Even though I know a taildragger pilot who would kill the engine and
then get it into a dive and hopefully get it windmilling fast enough to
restart. Beats getting out and propping it I guess.

Also went down to the hangar and checked. Didn't think there was a
black knob. Throttle is white, mixture red and black, and prop is
gray. Been flying a plane for a couple of hours, then a couple of
hours in something else. Not sure where anything is on anything
anymore. The last was a Taylorcraft and I think the knobs were silver
and white knobs on that that would hit you in the knees when you pulld
them out.

Husband keeps swapping, modifying his airplanes, I just leave my alone.
It if ain't broke leave it alone. Have had to threaten him and our
mechanics with severe bodily harm and/or mutilation if they mess with
my airplane. Wanted to do a 300 HP wren conversion (not legal for my
year), wanted to rebuild engine cause it used a little oil. Just had
been sitting and after using it some it's all better.

According to the POH 2000 PRM MPs of 16 at 5000 and 7500 feet are 6.8
and 7.0 gal/hr. If you believe in books. The only book I believe in
100% is the Bible. Husband has a bad heart and I asked his heart doctor
he said don't go much over 7 or 8,000 feet, didn't say density
alititude or what. The gound here is 1,500 to 2,000 except for the
occasional little tiny mountain you might encounter so I just stay high
enough to clear the tallest obstruction in that quadrangle on the chart
plus some cause I have a way of getting sucked into every tower out
there.

Aslo I have written here my empty weight is 1616.1. At first this was
such a beast cause all I had were 150s and cubs, T-crafts, champs,
defenders, vagabonds. Did have a cherokee for a whole two hours of
instruction once. Thought that was so big. The windshield was so far
away. Could barely reach anything. We go down the runway and ways and
they'd say pull back, I was pulling really hard and it wouldn't come
off, though my arms were going to break? Maybe the trim needed to be
reset or adjusted. Guess I just like something with a pretty big high
lift wing.

I never really bothered with the trim much until this 182 then I had to
learn that or go on steroids to build up my arms. Flies like a Cub
now. Even though I'm the only one in the family that does like yellow,
I think about putting a Cub paint job on my 182, yellow with that black
stripe, and I'd just love to hear people calling it a Cub. Yep a
4-seat Cub with a nosewheel, 1 strut, a starter, landing, tip lights,
etc. I bet I'd fool a few people. Good thing I don't like yellow.
It's OK on a Cub, but rather have blue. Not a good color for
visibility though. Well take care, guess I'll have to settle for 6.8
or 7 which ain't too bad. Usually run it 19 19, 20 20. At least you
guys have got me reading the POH again.

Had a POH for my first 150 2525J. Was learing in Eastport Maine right
at sea level. never could match their climb numbers. After a while
they sent a supplement that we were supposed to put on top of those
original numbers because they were way too oppomistic. This 182 POH
has numbers for 20,000 feet. I've showed instructors and examiners
that it's in the book so the airplane can do it, but they seem
skeptical. So at 20,000 feet MP of 12, 89 MPH at 7.2 GPH with a slight
case of anoxic brain damage (not enough air for the pilot). Guess I'll
have to borrow some O2 or save up for an oxygen system next. 20,000
glide ratio of X(not in POH) = distance of Y. 4-5miles x glide = ?
not enough to even get out of Texas. See ya.

Old March 3rd 05, 02:37 PM

In rec.aviation.owning Homesick Angel wrote:
: Dear Ron,
: Thought of climbing real high, pulling the red knob til it quits, and
: gliding (best glide 85 estimated because my ) and see how far I get,
: and then restarting and trying it again. Still haven't gotten enough
: courage up to try that one yet, and hopefully never will. Some day when
: I head out for Alaska I might have to try that stunt to come up with
: enough gas to make it.

My original flight instructor for my PPL had me do that on about my 5th
flight. Climbed high over the airport, he killed the mixture, and had me pull it up
into almost a stall to get the prop to stop. This was to prove that it won't come out
of the air if the engine quits. Free flying time too, he pointed out, since the Hobbs
meter stopped running. Eerily quiet.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old March 3rd 05, 04:21 PM
Homesick Angel

Cory,
And how many times did you punch or elbow him??? Not enough room in a
65 150 to get a good swing at some one but the elbow works good. That
metal knee board across the forehead works pretty good too. On my
check ride for private pilot the examiner pulled the throttle back when
in the pattern on downwind. "You just lost your engine". I pushed it
back in and looked at him. "No I didn't" The third time I finally
realized. "Oh make believe I lost the engine". My husband had told me
the used to turn the plane off on you, but too many bad things had
happened so they stopped doing that. Always been flying my own plane
so I usually try to be careful. Any tricky stuff we'd better be in the
instructor's plane if he feels brave. Don't know if it's the
adrenaline but I've been known to pull knobs completely off, can break
plastic stuff real easy, so I try to be real gentle and easy. Had a
red neck ex-biker friend who would horse his little Piper Colt around
and get close to the runway eight or 10 feet above and do a hard flare
and come bouncing in. That convinced me easier is betterer.

The Ayuhtaollah of Aviation (my last instructor so far) got up to 6,000
feet one day over a little lake a couple of miles away from Coleman Tx,
KCOL I think, (just mostly go by the big pictures on the map), and we
throtlled back to an idle. We got to the airport with 2 or 3,000 feet
to spare and had to spiral down to the runway. That was the first time
he had ever made it. That little 150/150 with the STOL kit would float
real good. First similuated engine out on downwind, I went into a
little dive got to 120 MPH. What are you doing? He asked. Best glide
120 I said. On that glide trip from Hordes Creek Lake I experiented
and the best glide was what was published in the POH. Above or below
you'd gain rate of descent. That kind of made me a believer.

First flight in my 182 the Ayuhtalloah wanted me to do a tight turn.
Instead of cutting the throttle I just pulled the nose back til I got
to 85 knots cause I thought that was a good number and did a perfect 2
minute turn. We gained 3,000 feet with him pinned back in his seat
looking out all the windows with a real startled look on his face!!
First time that ever happened to him. Surprised the FBI or FAA has
been out here cause I've been calling him the Ayuhtollah since before
911. Every time I'd say "Oh God". He'd say "Yes". I'd say "You ain't
God, I already got one of those, but you can be the Ayuhtalloah of
Aviation".

He's a retired Air Froce flight engineer. Guess he's been replaced by
an E-6 type little hand held unit. Saves a lot of weight.

We'd be flying along and he'd make some weird noise and you were
supposed to think something was happeneing to the plane. first time he
did it I looked oevr at him with his mouth all scrunched up. "What the
heck are you doing?" First time he had ever got caught. Says he's
done it for years and people will sit up and look around. "What's that
noise?" "What noise?" What a bozo. If I can't enjoy myself flying, I
won't do it. You do have to pay attention of course. I usually fly
out in stix so there isn't much traffic. Most Military traffic here in
Brownwood MOA and hawks and buzzards dive bombing you if they're above
you.

Well take care. Foggy and rainy again. Probably be a month before I
can even think about flying. Have to go get the Doping manual out and
start working on that Champ project after I get some work done. I'm at
at-home medical transciptionist, everybody thinks it's great. Been
doing it 20+ years and it's still way too challenging, but seeing as
how I'm still learning on this job but have enough time left to learn a
new occupation. The only good part is I get to type for a hospital in
Alaska which if I try real hard I can envision myself there instead of
being in Texas when it's 118 degrees. Take care, God bless.