Interested in Winch Launching?

Old May 26th 19, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default Interested in Winch Launching?

I am exploring the idea of organizing a winch launching clinic at Coalinga, CA this year. I just completed the winch training offered by The Associated Glider Clubs of Southern California (AGCSC) in Jacumba Hot Springs last month and it was a blast.

The same folks are willing to come up and teach at Coalinga if there is enough interest. The clinic allows glider pilots to remove their “Air tow only” restriction from their license. It includes a maximum of 8 flights, with the instructor, in a fiberglass glider. You’ll get the chance to launch off a newly designed winch by Roman’s Design and learn about ground operations as well. The cost for the course is estimated at $600 +/- $50. For those already qualified to winch launch, my goal would be to create some days when launches and rides are available as well.

The New Coalinga airport runway is 5000' long and 100' wide and so should produce great launches. It's about 15 miles north of Avenal, and has lots of accommodation options.

If you are interested, please take a few minutes to complete the survey below, to aid in planning. And please forward the link to those organizations you think might have an intereste.

Thanks!

Take the 3 minute survey he https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/K5B9BRH

Matthew Herron (J3)
Old May 26th 19, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Winch launching? No problem! Watch the whole thing.

https://youtu.be/zqPI5ID6IBE
Old May 27th 19, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 2:53:16 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
[...]

Anyone who thinks that they can get properly trained in winch launching with 8 flights is asking for trouble. Winch launching is very safe if you have the right training and maintain your currency. Things can happen very fast with fatal consequences if you haven't practiced the various failure modes you might encounter.

I would recommend you review Don Ingraham's excellent Winch Launch Training Guide (http://www.crosscountrysoaring.com/d...0guide.pdf)and get proper training at a location that gives you enough practice so that you can safely handle all eventualities.
Old May 27th 19, 12:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 10:11:05 PM UTC-4, Mike Schumann wrote:

Anyone who thinks that they can get properly trained in winch launching with 8 flights...

With some insane exceptions, someone with a winch endorsement who goes to another winching site will need to demonstrate their proficiency in dual instructional flights before the new site will launch them solo.

With hundreds of aerotows in my logbook, it took me ~28 winch launches to comfortably solo at https://soar.co.nz/ We were not in any rush because there was excess glider and instructor availability, and I probably could have soloed earlier. The following summer I took another 12 launches with Karl Striedieck at Eagle Field in PA. My proficiency faded fast. I'm old though, YMMV.

Winch launching is hella good fun, and I'm pretty sure my winch training makes it much more likely that on my next premature termination of aerotow, I will 'drop the nose and recover airspeed before turning' and that I will sort out a good way to land the glider. The simulated rope breaks of winch launching are of great value to me. Prior to winch launching, I had never done enough practice rope breaks on aerotow to really develop the 'muscle memory' for dropping the nose to recover airspeed after the rope breaks and you do that on every winch launch. I knew the theory about PT3, but I did not have the reflexes.

I highly recommend winch launch training even if winching is not available at your home club. I'm looking forward to refreshing my winching currency next February.

Old May 29th 19, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Here are the results of the survey so far. Looks like there is strong interest out there. Keep 'em coming!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/stories/SM-D56FXY8V/

Mike, I agree with your comments about needing additional training and experience to get proficient, but if we want to start that journey, this might be a good place to begin. Also thanks for the link to Don's guide. Very informative.

Matt

SAFE Winch Launching Derek Copeland[_2_] Soaring 185 August 2nd 17 07:12 PM
winch launching a 17 m shk shkdriver Soaring 3 December 10th 10 03:33 AM
Winch Launching in US john hawkins Soaring 11 June 10th 09 12:18 PM
Winch Launching Rolf Soaring 27 January 7th 09 03:48 AM
Ka8b winch launching Jimmie L. Coulthard Soaring 11 September 9th 08 08:38 AM