2016 Canadian National Gliding Championships (Ontario, Canada)

Old August 9th 16, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

Default 2016 Canadian National Gliding Championships (Ontario, Canada)

A good shoot-out is developing at the top of both FAI and Club class. The weather in Ontario has been extriodinary with 325 - 425km tasks, up to 8 knot lift and top of lift often as high as 8500 MSL. Average winning speeds in FAI have been between 105 and 125 kph and 85-95 in Club class!

Today looks like another great day. Tomorrow looks possible then the final day, Friday, looks like thunderstorms.

XG and F1 are flying well and close in FAI. I am doing (7T) well but have made several significant mistakes. On day 3 I missed that a maximum start height was added to the task sheet and lost 50+ points (had been unlimited on the first two days, and I assumed...oops). Then yesterday I somehow set up my ClearNAV 2 to manual speed of 100kph rather than auto, which caused me to turn to early in the final turn finishing 15 minutes early and loosing oodles of speed another 60-80 points.

MF is solid in Club but a couple are challenging him as well.

The Canadian Nationals are always a great time. Great food, great people and very social. I'm surprised more Americans do not attend these great annual Canadian events! If you haven't yet, you really should give it a try. The Canadians are outstanding pilots and the competition is outstanding.

My only grip about the 2016 Canadian Nationals is that after 5 contest days in 6 possible flying days during record strong weather conditions, not a single assigned task has been called. Not even a long MAT. That is pretty sad. I guess it's OK as I am pretty good with assigned tasks after SGP USA.. This apparent "area task only" event is still turning out to be good practice for the dreaded timed area tasks that North American gliding "culture?" seems to somehow insist on... In all seriousness, National Championships need to have 50% assigned tasks, not zero. It is really dumb to not call more assigned tasks, especially when the weather is almost ridiculously strong every day. To be clear I'm taking about real assigned tasks, not MATs!

#timedtasksarenotracing
#forchristsakenomoreTATs

;-). Yes, I feel better now!

Website: http://nationals.yorksoaring.com
Results: http://nationals.yorksoaring.com/res...etAug08_16.txt

Sean
7T
Old August 9th 16, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 6:50:59 AM UTC-5, Sean wrote:
[...]

Calling your host's choices - while the party is going on - "really dumb" is - well, what can I say, not really smart.
Old August 9th 16, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

Many of "my hosts" here share the very same sentiment and are sharing it very openly at every pilots meeting. But thanks for the advise Herb, as always. Where would I be without it?

Sean
Old August 9th 16, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Sorry to drift the thread, but what was the outcome of the SGP in
Ionia? I don't recall seeing a final score.

--
Dan, 5J
Old August 9th 16, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 8/9/2016 7:34 AM, Sean wrote:
Many of "my hosts" here share the very same sentiment and are sharing it very openly at every pilots meeting. But thanks for the advise Herb, as always. Where would I be without it?

Sean

--
Dan, 5J

It was well covered on their web site including video of awards.
UH
Old August 10th 16, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

Yet another amazing day here in Ontario at the Candian Nationals. XG is rumored to have gone nearly 130kph over a 2.5 hour (yes, you guessed it) TAT. F1 reported 121 and 7T was roughly 118. Scores should be up sometime soon he http://nationals.yorksoaring.com/res...etAug09_16.txt

NOTE: It's 8:15 pm and we are still waiting for scores. Don't we all love TATs and the "exhilarating" (cough, cough) 4 hours we all must wait to see the any results)

I saw a couple 8 kt climbs, even under occasional high and thick cirrus. Unreal! Others reported the same. Everyone is smiling and loving these epic conditions. Uvalde has nothing on Canada! :-)

As predicted in the weather briefing, the high cloud thickened up significantly around 4:30 and shut anyone late down pretty abruptly (reason for th slightly shorter 2.5 hr FAI tasks). Club class was in the 90s for the top folks over a 3 hour task.

Needless to say, this event has been pretty remarkable. The task calling has been truly impeccable, minus the assigned task or two that could have easily been called in lieu of 12 TATs in a row (2 classes). These tasks have been close to perfect and are some of the best calls I have ever seen at a contest in terms of keeping the gang in the good stuff as much as possible.. The task setters here really, really know this task area well. Impressive.

So far we have flown 6 of 7 possible flying days! Even the called day could have support d a short task, maybe! Tomorrow is looking pretty good (forecast to be "sunny"). Some blue flying would be really fun. These killer, honest clouds at 7-8k are getting pretty old :-)

Sincerely,

Sean
7T
Old August 10th 16, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 8:25:19 PM UTC-4, Sean wrote:
[...]

Sigh, four days at the USA Sports Nats and we still can't publish scores.
QT - Scorer.