Buying Warrior - Guidance?

Old June 9th 05, 04:11 AM
Dave

Default Buying Warrior - Guidance?

OK.... we are planning to make an offer on the1976 PA28-151.

700 SMOH, 60 since top (new Cyls) , 60 on prop, clean annual 2 mos
ago. All logs since new. 7700 Total time.

What should we check, watch out for?

Logs indicate this A/C is on it's 3rd set of Stabilator bearings.. ??

Had a wing repaired after a hit by a runaway baggage cart. (!)

Right wing removed and the skins under the wing walk replaced...
AD's we should peruse?

Dave
Old June 9th 05, 05:19 AM

This airplane is getting up there in hours. That in itself isn't a bad
thing, as long as it was properly maintained. However, some airframe parts
are likely to be at or near the end of their useful life, and replacement
could run into more than a few bucks. Stabilator bearings are one such
item. Two replacements in 7700 hrs seems a bit high, but not wildly so.
Other components to watch: aileron and trim tab hinges, flap bearings and
actuator tie rods, landing gear linkages. Replacing any of these items
isn't going to bust the bank, but if it's imminent you would want a price
adjustment.

Cracks in the doublers under the wing walk are a common problem in older
PA-28s. Sounds like a repair might have been done on this Warrior. If it
was done right it's a non-issue.

One thing you definitely want to check is whether Piper SB 1006 has been
accomplished. This involves removing the fuel tanks and checking for
corrosion on the main spar behind them. My understanding is that few PA-28s
have been found with such corrosion, but if its there the cost of repair is
breathtaking. Also, when SB 1006 is done the fuel lines behind the tanks
should be replaced, particularly on planes with high time as this one.
Check the logs to see if this was done.

If SB 1006 hasn't been done (it's not legally mandatory since it's a SB
rather than an AD) I'd make completion a condition of sale. The deal I'd
offer is that If there is no corrosion (or only minor stuff that can be
simply corrected) then I'd buy the plane and pay for the SB and the cost of
new fuel lines. (Total should amount to a few hundred bucks.) But if there
is serious corrosion then the deal would be off. Of course, this would all
come after agreement on price and a satisfactory pre-buy inspection.

--
-Elliott Drucker
Old June 9th 05, 05:25 AM
Montblack

("Dave" wrote)
OK.... we are planning to make an offer on the1976 PA28-151.

700 SMOH, 60 since top (new Cyls) , 60 on prop, clean annual 2 mos
ago. All logs since new. 7700 Total time.

275 hours flown, each and every year - for 28 years (gave up a year to get
an even number).

Is 7700 TT a number that will bring the price down for a 1976 Warrior? A
significant amount, or depending on paint and interior, maybe not that much
of a discount?

Montblack

Old June 10th 05, 02:55 AM
Dave

Thanks for this...

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 04:19:31 GMT, wrote:

This airplane is getting up there in hours. That in itself isn't a bad
thing, as long as it was properly maintained.

Paint & interior are worn, but mechanically, VERY well maintained,
test flown today, absolutely no issues..

However, some airframe parts
are likely to be at or near the end of their useful life, and replacement
could run into more than a few bucks. Stabilator bearings are one such
item. Two replacements in 7700 hrs seems a bit high, but not wildly so.
Other components to watch: aileron and trim tab hinges,

Tight

flap bearings and
actuator tie rods, landing gear linkages.

All tight.....

Replacing any of these items
isn't going to bust the bank, but if it's imminent you would want a price
adjustment.

Cracks in the doublers under the wing walk are a common problem in older
PA-28s. Sounds like a repair might have been done on this Warrior. If it
was done right it's a non-issue.

Been done, and done well...

One thing you definitely want to check is whether Piper SB 1006 has been
accomplished. This involves removing the fuel tanks and checking for
corrosion on the main spar behind them. My understanding is that few PA-28s
have been found with such corrosion, but if its there the cost of repair is
breathtaking. Also, when SB 1006 is done the fuel lines behind the tanks
should be replaced, particularly on planes with high time as this one.
Check the logs to see if this was done.

TY, will check this carefully...

If SB 1006 hasn't been done (it's not legally mandatory since it's a SB
rather than an AD) I'd make completion a condition of sale. The deal I'd
offer is that If there is no corrosion (or only minor stuff that can be
simply corrected) then I'd buy the plane and pay for the SB and the cost of
new fuel lines. (Total should amount to a few hundred bucks.) But if there
is serious corrosion then the deal would be off. Of course, this would all

come after agreement on price and a satisfactory pre-buy inspection.

Thanks for this!

Dave
Old June 10th 05, 02:57 AM
Dave

The 7000 or so hrs is average for similar Pipers & Cessnas in this
area..

Dave

("Dave" wrote)

Old June 16th 05, 07:07 PM
Robert M. Gary

With any engine, I'm usually more concerned with any period of sitting
than actual hours. An engine flown regularly (Lycoming bullet proof
engine) will easily make TBO if flown. However, if the engine has sat
in a barn w/o flying it may not make 500 hours. The Warrior is a
WONDERFUL airplane, you will enjoy it very much.

-Robert, CFI