Diesel engine

Old April 25th 04, 06:28 PM
Bryan

Default Diesel engine

Has anyone been able to find the weight on the VW V10 diesel engine? This
engine produces 550 lb/ft of torque at 2000 rpm and 310 hp at 3750 rpm.
Sounds like a great candidate for aircraft to me.

---

Old April 25th 04, 06:39 PM
Pete Schaefer

What's the continuous rated power? Peak power numbers are meaningless for
aircraft.

Old April 25th 04, 07:05 PM
Bryan

I have need been able to find any real specs on this engine except that it
has an aluminum black with steel reinforcement and sleeves. Should be light
for the available power. Might be able to go without gear reduction just
using a prop shaft with thrust bearings coupled directly to the crank or
flywheel.

Old April 25th 04, 07:16 PM
Pete Schaefer

Sure, but you might find that it can only handle 50% continuous power (or
less), which would put it way behind what, say, a DeltaHawk can do. Unless
you have a ton of money, time, and aircraft engine development
experience................

Old April 25th 04, 07:25 PM
Bryan

Good points! I have no idea how to find out what the continuous rated power
would be on this engine. I would love to have a DeltaHawk engine but as you
put it, I do not have a ton of money. I was leaning heavily toward the
Mazda rotary, looks like the way to as there are many flying already and
components are available.

Thanks

Old April 26th 04, 12:25 AM
Pete Schaefer

I'm curious as to what kind of airframe you're considering putting something
like this in? Something fast, I'd assume. Also, something non-aerobatic.
Some kind of fast cruiser?

You might want to contact some people at VW to see if you can get some
detailed info on the engine. It could very well turn out that it would make
a great airplane engine, but there are a ton of unknowns at this point. How
would you go about examining the suitability of the engine for aviation use?
You're looking at a very non-trivial problem. Better know how to speak some
German, too.

I've watched the Mazda B13 thing closely over the last couple of years.
There are some interesting possibilities there, but none of the good options
look very cheap. You'll still spend a lot of time wringing the engine out
on the ground before you can gain enough confidence that you've done all
your homework. Granted, doing a homebuilt, you'll spend a bunch of your
time doing engine integration no matter what. Just gotta make sure to have
a sound approach to engine risk-reduction if you're going a non-standard
route. That means knowing the risks and being able to plan for them.

BTW: This summer, I'm starting work on an RV-8A. I'm tentatively penciling
in a DeltaHawk 180HP inverted V-4. I'm encouraged by their progress over
the last year. However, I won't hesitate to change my plans if some big
gotchas emerge with their design. Their first production run starts soon.
I figure they get to have two more years of maturity on the design before I
order mine. It's gonna cost a bunch, but I feel there is a resonably
controllable risk factor going with an engine that new.

Old April 26th 04, 01:26 AM
Bryan

Just started construction of a BD-4 from plans. This is a fast airplane. I
have been looking very seriously at the Mazda engine for some time. The
engine builder for Tracy Crook believes he can get a very reliable 220 hp
out of the new Renesis engine.

The reason I was looking into the VW is that I would like to get better fuel
economy and more power would not be bad either. When I saw the power
ratings on this engine and found that it is all aluminum I thought that it
may make a good aircraft engine. VW diesel engines have proven to be very
reliable in the past although producing a lot of vibration. From what I
read on this engine the vibration may no longer be a problem as they are now
using a balance shaft (90 degree V10 is not naturally balanced). And being
a V10 5.0 liter engine should run very smooth. Another interesting feature
that I would like to investigate about this engine is that since it is
controlled by direct injection and has no manifold vacuum to work with, it
has an air pump for other controls (emission controls) that may be used for
a vacuum pump (for gyro instruments).

Overall it just looks like a very good candidate for a high performance
aircraft engine. And if this could be done without gear reduction may save
some money (and another possible failure point).

Old April 26th 04, 03:23 AM
Capt.Doug

"Bryan" wrote in message VW diesel engines have proven to be very
reliable in the past although producing a lot of vibration.

Is this engine offered in the US? Is it offered with a turbocharger?

D.

Old April 26th 04, 04:22 AM
Bryan

This is turbocharged (the only way they make it). It is now available in
the US, it is the VW touareg.

Old April 26th 04, 05:13 PM
Jay

Hi Pete,

What factors dictate the difference between max and continuous rated
power? The main one I can think of is the ability to remove waste
heat. And of course a diesel produces less waste heat per unit HP
than a spark ignition engine.

Regards