1000km flights

Old December 31st 17, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 1000km flights

On 30 December 2017, there were 34 flights of over 1000km posted onto the OLC. These were all in Namibia and South Africa. What is the record number of +1000km flights done in a single day? I would imagine there could have been more flights done because not everyone posts their flights on OLC.
Old January 1st 18, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Sunday, 31 December 2017 13:26:10 UTC+2, wrote:
On 30 December 2017, there were 34 flights of over 1000km posted onto the OLC. These were all in Namibia and South Africa. What is the record number of +1000km flights done in a single day? I would imagine there could have been more flights done because not everyone posts their flights on OLC.

There is another thread from 2015 called "Africa!".
On November 30th 2015, there were 40 flights posted on OLC with distances exceeding 1000km.

Old January 1st 18, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Not if its a 1-26 national lol
Old January 1st 18, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

On Monday, January 1, 2018 at 1:05:16 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Call a 1000K task on a good day at a Nephi contest and you will have 65 1000k's in a day.

Jonathan: Actually, no you won't. 1000 km requires 7.6 hours of flying at 130 kph (the average speed of the 30 folks who did it in Africa on 12/30). You can't launch 65 gliders,open a start gate, and get around a 1000 km course on a contest day other than at a strong ridge site on a great day. On 1000 km days in Africa we start really early and we fly really late. Go to OLC for 12/30 and look at how long some of those guys were flying. Markus Frank was close to 10 hours. 10 hours at 133 kph!
ROY
Old January 1st 18, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I still think New Castle, VA has the record for 1000 K's in one day at one site, something like 17? This is like 20 years ago or so, covered a couple times in Soaring magazine (the day and then a reunion). Some even flew it dry, sorta Iron Man a dry stiff winger. Regardless, a long flight, even in good conditions.
My longest glider flight is "only" 7 hours. Done on thermals in the NE US.
Old January 1st 18, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

They'd have to be able to launch the grid in under an hour to be able to do that
Old January 1st 18, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

My comment was tongue in cheek. I was thinking of New Castle and what a great call by the CD that was!!! I have attended a Nephi event and I launch was very efficient, I thought after a few days all 65 glider were launched in an hour. On a 17,500 foot day, tasks of 3 or 4 hours do not do Nephi justice.

Old January 1st 18, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

I think the 2005? Open Europeans in Rayskala Finland had a 1000 k
task with about 17 finishers - all thermal of course! :-) .

Old January 2nd 18, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Not all contestants were happy with that call.
Yes, I have flown there before.
No, I was not at that contest.

Still, a remarkable achievement from one site on one day.
Wish I was there, not sure I would have completed it.....

1000km in 1-26 [email protected] Soaring 6 April 19th 16 09:49 PM
1-26 1000km attempt Tony[_5_] Soaring 13 April 26th 14 07:37 PM
1000km in a 1-26 Tony[_5_] Soaring 8 June 29th 12 03:04 PM
Check out Ron Tabery's 1000km WR Soaring 3 August 12th 09 02:41 AM
Narromine FAI 750 Km and 1000KM in Australia Mal Soaring 1 November 2nd 04 05:08 AM