Lightspeed does it again

Old October 9th 03, 05:46 AM
Jon Carlson

Precisely my point. To say anyone who prefers Lightspeeds "hasn't done
a REAL side by side comparison" is what I'm saying is wrong. The only
thing one can really say is that each person has to do their OWN side
by side comparison on their own head before they'd really know what's
best for them.

-Jon C.

"Stu Gotts" wrote in message

Okay, whatever works for you is the best ;-) .

Old October 9th 03, 08:41 AM
Thomas Borchert

Hankal,

You haapen to have a number for PSE?

Have you heard of this newfangled thing called the internet that
everybody uses these days? I tell ya, it's huge, man.

Care to give us an exact description of your problem? Maybe someone
here can help already. What's wrong with your intercom/headset
installation?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 9th 03, 08:41 AM
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

You haapen to have a number for PSE?

http://www.ps-engineering.com/

How do I dial that? gd&r

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 9th 03, 01:50 PM
Ray Andraka

You go to that link and look at the bottom of the page where
you will find:
Contact us for more information!

9800
Martel Rd - Lenoir City, TN - 37772
Pre-Sales:
1-800-ICS-AERO (427-2376)

Technical Support: (865) 988-9800

FAX (865) 988-6619
E-Mail:

Thomas Borchert wrote:

Jay,

You haapen to have a number for PSE?

http://www.ps-engineering.com/

How do I dial that? gd&r

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin
Franklin, 1759

Old October 9th 03, 03:17 PM
Thomas Borchert

Ray,

In case you missed it: I was joking. To be online (in a newsgroup) and
ask for a phone number (rather than looking the company up online) is
hilarious, in my view.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 9th 03, 06:10 PM
Hankal

Care to give us an exact description of your problem? Maybe someone
here can help already. What's wrong with your intercom/headset
installation?

I use Avcom headset and I have two one for my passenger. When I Descend at 1000
feet per minute I get a loud squelch noise in bothe headsets.
2. when my passenger uses his own headset "Lightspeed" I get a noise which
comes and goes. If I put my hand on the radio it stops.
3 sometimes when I fly alone I get a squelch noise. Have the co-pilots side
shut of on my PSE.
Explained all this to my avionics shop and they can not find anything that
would cause this.
Old October 9th 03, 06:17 PM
Ron Natalie

"Hankal" wrote in message ...

Explained all this to my avionics shop and they can not find anything that
would cause this.

Get a new shop. Sounds like your intercom is misinstalled, most likely a missing or
broken shield/return connection somewhere.

Old October 10th 03, 08:48 AM
Thomas Borchert

Hankal,

If I put my hand on the radio it stops.

That alone points to some serious problem in the installation. As Ron
says: Get a new shop. And again: PSE is just an e-mail away - and they
are extremely helpful.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 10th 03, 01:28 PM

Hankal wrote:
: Have you ever had a problem with squelch noise when you use two different makes
: of headsets.
: When my buddy who has a Lightspeed flies with me I get a lot of noise and I
: have to ask him to use my other Avcom.

As I mentioned before, check to make sure that it's not just the
headsets. There's a significant difference between these common noise
problems:

1. "Single Squelch Noise" Different headset sensitivites make setting the
squelch impossible. One headset breaks squelch too easily and the other
poor fool has to holler in his headset to get the squelch to break.
Solution is to get matching headset mic sensitivites or intercom with
multiple squelch triggers.

2. "Mic gain mismatch" Somewhat like #1, but slightly different. This
one shows up as one person having to yell into his mic *after* the squelch
is already open. Solution is to adjust mic gain (some headsets allow
this), and/or get intercom with separate mic circuits for each position.
When a mic triggers a squelch break, only that mic is turned on.

3. "Noise-cancelling mic" Headsets use a "differential" microphone that
relies on the proximity of the mic to the mouth to work. The common-mode
cabin noise enters roughly equally on each side of the mic boom, but the
person speaking is louder on one physical side than the other. The mic is
supposed to pick up on this differential-mode signal, but reject the
common-mode ambient noise. Unfortuately, some headsets simply have poorer
noise rejection qualities than others. Usually, there's nothing that can
be done with this, except using a different headset.

I have gone around on this one myself, having gone through #1 and
#2. I'm currently at #3 (but with a much nicer intercom than before) and
looking to get another headset. The irony is that my cheap FlightLine
HS-60B passive $100 headset has the best mic in the bunch. A DRE-6000 ANR
has the worst mic, letting in huge amounts of cabin noise when the person
wearing it speaks. The Lightspeed 15k, 20k, 25xl have mic performance
somewhere in the middle, but with the 25xl having the worst noise
performance.

Anyway, that's what I've found out over the past year or so of
fiddling with my plane and headsets. Between the poor mic and lousy
high-frequency attenuation, I'm not shelling out the bucks for a high-end
Lightspeed. I have tried and did like the QFR cross-country though. You
should see if you can isolate what kind of noise you've got before you go
fixing things that aren't broken.

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old October 10th 03, 02:24 PM
Hankal

Anyway, that's what I've found out over the past year or so of
fiddling with my plane and headsets. Between the poor mic and lousy
high-frequency attenuation, I'm not shelling out the bucks for a high-end
Lightspeed. I have tried and did like the QFR cross-country though. You
should see if you can isolate what kind of noise you've got before you go
fixing things that aren't broken.
-Cory

Guess I am not alone with this problem.
I thought of getting either Lightspeed or David Clark, but now I think I keep
my Avcoms
Hank