Most Important Control On My Plane

Old November 28th 06, 07:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Charles Talleyrand

Default Most Important Control On My Plane

Jay Honeck wrote:
Most important control
Radio transmit

Hey, I'm a "Use the radio, dammit!" guy from way back -- but even I
wouldn't rate the transmit button as my "most important control"...

Maybe number three or so...

I was not thinking of the yoke or pedals as controls. I was thinking
more buttons and knobs. If they count ... then it's the elevator.

-The original poster

Old November 28th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Don Tuite

On 27 Nov 2006 23:22:45 -0800, "Charles Talleyrand"
wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:
Most important control
Radio transmit

Hey, I'm a "Use the radio, dammit!" guy from way back -- but even I
wouldn't rate the transmit button as my "most important control"...

Maybe number three or so...

I was not thinking of the yoke or pedals as controls. I was thinking
more buttons and knobs. If they count ... then it's the elevator.

The little knob on the altimeter gets my vote.

Don

Old November 28th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jerry

Most important control
Start switch

Jerry

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message
oups.com...
Type of plane
I have a VFR Cessna 150.

Most important control
Radio transmit

.................................................. ........................................

Old November 29th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Charles Talleyrand

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Charles Talleyrand wrote:
Type of plane
I have a VFR Cessna 150.

M20

Most important control
Radio transmit

Yoke

Least important control
Pitot heat (if you need it, you shouldn't be flying)

Why shouldn't you be flying if you need pitot heat?

Because I fly a VFR Cessna 150. When would I need pitot heat assuming
the weather was good enough to fly in the first place. In other words,
if I need pitot heat, what I really needed was better decision making
before takeoff.

Old November 29th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Old November 29th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:
Most important control
Radio transmit

Hey, I'm a "Use the radio, dammit!" guy from way back -- but even I
wouldn't rate the transmit button as my "most important control"...

Maybe number three or so...

I was not thinking of the yoke or pedals as controls. I was thinking
more buttons and knobs. If they count ... then it's the elevator.

Nah. You should be able to fly using ailerons and trim without the
elevator. I had one instructor have me land doing just that. The AOPA
even put out a video on doing it.

I believe certification requires that the elevator not be a single
failure point. Home builts OTOH may not necessarily have that
advantage.

-The original poster

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old November 29th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Jerry wrote:
Most important control
Start switch

Or stop switch. When I had the Chief I once had a bad mag ground that
prevented the mags from shutting off. Since the Chief has no idle cut
off mixture all I could do was to shut the fuel valve off and sit and
wait, and wait, and wait.

-Robert

Old November 29th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Drew Dalgleish

I was not thinking of the yoke or pedals as controls. I was thinking
more buttons and knobs. If they count ... then it's the elevator.

Nah. You should be able to fly using ailerons and trim without the
elevator. I had one instructor have me land doing just that. The AOPA
even put out a video on doing it.

When I was getting my float rating the instructor had me take off
using just trim and rudder
Old November 29th 06, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steve Foley

Gas Cap

"Jerry" wrote in message
m...
Most important control
Start switch

Jerry

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message
oups.com...
Type of plane
I have a VFR Cessna 150.

Most important control
Radio transmit

Old November 29th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow

Relief tube!
--
Matt