Looking for a fuselage

Old March 7th 05, 08:55 AM
Morgans

"Wayne Paul" wrote

Is the bird on ebay the same type as the one in the following link?
http://www.soaridaho.com/Gliders_on_Tow.jpg

Although it is hard to see from that picture, it very well could be. I
don't know of another biplanes that could tow 5 sailplanes.

It is the AN-2, a Russian biplane with huge proportions, and still is a
workhorse in many parts of the old Soviet Union, and elsewhere.

It was produced as late as 1970, from what I was able to find. It had a
single 1,000 HP engine, and empty weight of about 7,600, and could have a
maximum takeoff weight of over 12,000 pounds. Around 20,000 were produced,
and it is believed that around 2,00 are still flying.

Wingspan of over 59 feet, maximum speed of 160mph, and economy cruise of
115mph. It has excellent STOL characteristics, partly due to the fact that
its ailerons can droop along with its flaps.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 7th 05, 09:43 AM
Scott Skylane

Morgans wrote:

/snip/
It was produced as late as 1970, from what I was able to find. /snip/

I have personally been in a 1985 model.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old March 7th 05, 02:42 PM
Mark Hickey

Scott Skylane wrote:

Morgans wrote:

/snip/
It was produced as late as 1970, from what I was able to find. /snip/

I have personally been in a 1985 model.

I saw one at the Copperstate fly-in a couple years ago. It was almost
like an optical illusion... you felt like you were right beside it,
but you had to keep walking and walking and walking as it got bigger
and bigger and bigger.

Mark Hickey