Cigarette Lighter Adapter- Cessna 172

Old April 12th 05, 03:01 AM
TF

Default Cigarette Lighter Adapter- Cessna 172

I attempted to plug in my portable GPS unit into a 2003 172 and ... I
couldn't. The "standard" cigarette adapter has been replaced with a smaller
something. I didn't have time to look too closely as to what the new outlet
is. The GPS was just a backup and I was just going locally .

Question. Anyone come accross this ? Do you know what adapter I would need
to continue to use the "old" cigarette size plug ? Who sells them ?

Thanks in advance.

Old April 12th 05, 04:03 AM
Grumman-581

"TF" wrote in message
I attempted to plug in my portable GPS unit into a 2003 172 and ... I
couldn't. The "standard" cigarette adapter has been replaced with a

smaller
something.

I noticed a difference in the size of the accessory plugs of US cars vs a
Porsche that I used to have... The DC air pump from it was not
interchangeable with the accessory plug from my other cars...

Question. Anyone come accross this ? Do you know what adapter I would

need
to continue to use the "old" cigarette size plug ? Who sells them ?

You might find a cheaper solution by going up to AutoZone and just buying
the normal size socket... It's pretty easy to replace it once you get the
covers off...

Old April 12th 05, 12:59 PM
jsmith

TF wrote:
Question. Anyone come accross this ? Do you know what adapter I would need
to continue to use the "old" cigarette size plug ? Who sells them ?

SPORTY's catalog is the only place I have seen the adaptor.

Old April 12th 05, 02:33 PM
Peter Clark

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:01:46 -0400, "TF" wrote:

I attempted to plug in my portable GPS unit into a 2003 172 and ... I
couldn't. The "standard" cigarette adapter has been replaced with a smaller
something. I didn't have time to look too closely as to what the new outlet
is. The GPS was just a backup and I was just going locally .

Question. Anyone come accross this ? Do you know what adapter I would need
to continue to use the "old" cigarette size plug ? Who sells them ?

You need an airline-type 9pin adapter socket now (ARINC 628). I think
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/laptopsf...rpowadcor.html would
work, but don't own it. The 'enlarged' picture isn't large enough to
see the connectors, however the diagram they have on the 'more info'
link looks like it's the same ARINC connector, and they have a 30 day
money-back thing going, so pretty risk free for $10.

Luck.
Old April 12th 05, 11:24 PM
ijustfly

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:59:28 GMT, jsmith wrote:

TF wrote:
Question. Anyone come accross this ? Do you know what adapter I would need
to continue to use the "old" cigarette size plug ? Who sells them ?

SPORTY's catalog is the only place I have seen the adaptor.

Or Control Vision (the Anywhwere Map folks)
http://www.anywheremap.com/detail.aspx?ID=32
--
....but then WDIK... ijustfly
Old April 13th 05, 12:58 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

Battery Tech in Hicksville,NY had what I needed. Try them

800-442-4275
eBatteryTech.com

--

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

VOsborne2 at charter dot net

Old April 13th 05, 01:01 AM
TF

Thanks to all for the info. I think it might be the answer.