Splitting PowerFLARM

Old December 12th 12, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Splitting PowerFLARM

To those who fly with a panel mounted primary MFD (like a CN, LX 9000, or Ultimate LE) and a secondary off-panel PNA (like Streak, Oudie, V2).

Do you send PowerFLARM data to both displays? What are you using to split the PowerFLARM signal? Are you happy with this setup?
Old December 12th 12, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:08:03 PM UTC, wrote:
To those who fly with a panel mounted primary MFD (like a CN, LX 9000, or Ultimate LE) and a secondary off-panel PNA (like Streak, Oudie, V2).

Do you send PowerFLARM data to both displays? What are you using to split the PowerFLARM signal? Are you happy with this setup?

Slightly off topic, but I am hoping that having an LX9000 I won't see the need to run my PNA! (My current plan is to keep the GliderGuider in a pocket, available for use only as a fallback if the panel goes down). I do have a Butterfly display taking Flarm output, but I don't yet know whether that will provide worthwhile addional info to what I see on the LX (and hear from it, of course, since it has a voice warning system). I am expecting that by default in order to avoid screen clutter I will not show Flarm targets on the LX9000, but will be able to turn on a large Flarm radar display when I want more Flarm info.

Are you planning to have a PF display as well as an MFD and a PNA? How do you expect to use the two or three displays?
Old December 12th 12, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:08:03 AM UTC-5, wrote:
To those who fly with a panel mounted primary MFD (like a CN, LX 9000,
or Ultimate LE) and a secondary off-panel PNA (like Streak, Oudie, V2).

Do you send PowerFLARM data to both displays? What are you using to
split the PowerFLARM signal? Are you happy with this setup?

Um, PowerFLARM brick has TWO outputs to help with this issue...
Hope this helps,
Best Regards, Dave
Old December 12th 12, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:50:52 AM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:08:03 AM UTC-5, wrote:

To those who fly with a panel mounted primary MFD (like a CN, LX 9000,

or Ultimate LE) and a secondary off-panel PNA (like Streak, Oudie, V2).

Do you send PowerFLARM data to both displays? What are you using to

split the PowerFLARM signal? Are you happy with this setup?

Um, PowerFLARM brick has TWO outputs to help with this issue...

Oh, the cacophony!

T8
Old December 12th 12, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Had a short sit in a cockpit with a panel mounted PF display and my eyes found it useless. Besides, do not want to give up panel real estate. The CN or LX 9000 does a much better job.

PNA is backup.

Thanks Dave for your verification; I should have read the PF manual before asking question.

Are you planning to have a PF display as well as an MFD and a PNA? How do you expect to use the two or three displays?

Old December 13th 12, 09:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Nevertheless, to answer the original question:

What are you using to split the PowerFLARM signal?

It is important to understand that you can easily have many "listeners" of a Flarm signal but if you have several that try to talk to the Flarm (like download a flight) you can get in trouble quick. LX dealers all sell "Flarm Splitter" cables which take care of that problem.

A use case where we encounter this most frequently is in a double seater with two Oudies connected to a single Flarm.

http://www.lxnav.com/products/accessories.html

Regards,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots use
http://www.Naviter.com

PowerFLARM Brick and PowerFLARM Remote Display Manuals Available Paul Remde Soaring 30 May 25th 12 11:58 PM
PowerFLARM Paul Remde Soaring 9 November 6th 10 05:30 AM
Splitting IGC file with multiple flights Mike Schumann Soaring 3 August 20th 08 02:16 PM
"Tombstone" agency splitting hairs again BillyJack Instrument Flight Rules 18 November 25th 06 03:05 AM
Cost splitting for private flight? aaronw Piloting 5 July 19th 04 10:43 PM