ClearNav CNv software updates available

Old October 6th 15, 07:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default ClearNav CNv software updates available

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 1:37:54 AM UTC-4, Surge wrote:
[rant trimmed]

CNv works fine with 3rd party devices & software including Oudie, WinPilot(iirc), XCSoar and TopHat. Ask around. But please let's not turn a simple announcement thread into discussion of third party support and policies.

Briefly: We use (at present) a subset of the Cambridge dataport spec. No one, including Cambridge, ever used the whole spec or even specific portions of it exactly as written. So there were some inevitable bugs. Those have been mostly sorted out.

We're quickly approaching the point where we will want to start adding capabilities that are outside the CAI spec. We'll make some appropriate decision about how to do this and release the details to developers.

best,
Evan Ludeman for CNi

Old October 6th 15, 09:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

maanantai 5. lokakuuta 2015 16.06.03 UTC+3 kirjoitti:
If you are a manufacturer of soaring instrumentation that does computation and display, why would you voluntarily give away your proprietary information to people that produce competitive alternatives for "free"?

Why would Microsoft give programmers specs for them to make software running on Windows? I quess they calculated that in the long run it would be beneficial for people to be able ot run programs on Windows?
Old October 6th 15, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 11:07:47 PM UTC-7, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 1:37:54 AM UTC-4, Surge wrote:
[rant trimmed]

CNv works fine with 3rd party devices & software including Oudie, WinPilot(iirc), XCSoar and TopHat. Ask around. But please let's not turn a simple announcement thread into discussion of third party support and policies.

Briefly: We use (at present) a subset of the Cambridge dataport spec. No one, including Cambridge, ever used the whole spec or even specific portions of it exactly as written. So there were some inevitable bugs. Those have been mostly sorted out.

We're quickly approaching the point where we will want to start adding capabilities that are outside the CAI spec. We'll make some appropriate decision about how to do this and release the details to developers.

best,
Evan Ludeman for CNi

This maybe a naïve question; would CNv components work with CAI (302?) products?
Old October 6th 15, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

This discussion took an odd turn. It's one thing to share basic vario data - pretty much all modern varios do that (including CNv); it's altogether a different think to share a proprietary program that uses that data in a unique way - which is what the CNv thermal centering tool does.

No one is preventing XCSoar or anybody else from developing their own killer thermalling app, using someone else's raw vario/gps data.

Surge's comments, while not really a "rant" (touchy, T8?), are off base, IMO, since CN supports third party devices. The cost issue is a red herring - you get what you can afford...

And, as a longtime Westerboer user, I'll continue to avoid XCSoar ;^)

Kirk
66

Old October 6th 15, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 10/6/2015 7:47 AM, 6PK wrote:
snip

This maybe a naïve question; would CNv components work with CAI (302?)
products?

The simple answer is, "Yes".

When I purchased my glider it had a CAI-302 and a PDA running WinPilot.
I quickly changed the PDA for a Mio car GPS (Windows CE) running XCSoar,
which I found to have an inadequate screen. I sold that and bought a
Samsung Galaxy (S3, I think, and Android), again running XCSoar, and
using a K6BT serial to Bluetooth converter connected to the CAI-302. It
worked quite well except the screen was not readable in direct
sunlight. I sold the Samsung and bought a used Dell Streak 5 (Android)
and it was a simple swap and everything worked to my complete delight.

Finally, due to the GPS date SNAFU, I took advantage of ClearNav's offer
to take my 302 in trade for a ClearNav XC vario (at a pretty good
discount, as I recall). The CNvXC so far exceeds the 302 in capability
that it's not even worth talking about. Initially there were a few
glitches with the communications due to connector differences (RJ-45 vs
DB-9). I bought a new cable from Cumulus Soaring solving the physical
interface issues, but there were still protocol issues, i.e., the Streak
would receive, process, and display data from the CNv, but if I
attempted to send data to the CNv, the comm interface would shutdown
necessitating rebooting the CNv. ClearNav quickly addressed the issue
and now the system works to my complete satisfaction.

Having flown now (in friends' gliders) with a complete ClearNav system
and an LX-8000 system, I think my next glider will have ClearNav.
--
Dan, 5J

Old October 6th 15, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 10:17:03 AM UTC-4, kirk.stant wrote:
(touchy, T8?)

Arguments based on false premises try my patience. CNv's communications protocol has never been proprietary. Inadequately described? Yes, at times. We should be past all that now.

T8
Old October 6th 15, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 9:47:22 AM UTC-4, 6PK wrote:

This maybe a naïve question; would CNv components work with CAI (302?) products?

If you are asking: "Can I mix / match Cambridge and ClearNav hardware" the answer is no. People often ask about the relationship between ClearNav Instruments and Cambridge (there is none, although some of the same people are involved) and whether (for instance) one can use a Cambridge 303 display with CNv (no).

CNvXC does use the Cambridge dataport specification for serial communication, so in many respects the serial port chatter is similar between CNvXC and the old 302 vario. It isn't identical in all respects. So GPS, wind, air data, MC, water ballast settings work just like 302, you can declare tasks just like 302, but you cannot d/l a flight log over the serial bus like 302 (you use a USB drive).

best,
Evan Ludeman for CNi