Some questions about DG600

Old October 7th 15, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BG[_4_]

Default Some questions about DG600

On Thursday, July 8, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Sergi wrote:
Hi everybody.

I am considering to sell my PEGASE 101 and to buy the self-launching
sailplane DG600 M of a friend. I think this is a beautiful glider with a
very good performances (with 18m better), but somebody has told me that
DG600 doesn´t have a good stall, it has a difficult stall recovery.
Please help me. Is this true? Is it hard to fly? Is it a glider for advanced
pilots?

Thank you.
The DG 600 is known for having bad stall characteristics and will break into a spin very easily. Also it is known its performance degrades significantly in rain with a higher stall speed. Definitely not a glider for a pilot with minimal experience. Its vintage will also require an annual payment to DG for technical support including buying parts. There is a reason it was built in such limited numbers.

As said the DG 800 is a completely different experience, very forgiving and handles rain very well. I have been flying the 800 now for over 7 years and trust its great design in the most challenging conditions.

Buzz Graves
Sergi Valls

Remove "w" from my e-mail to answer.

Old October 9th 15, 11:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

I have several hundred hours in my 600 I haven't had any " bad " stall spin experiences with mine. I fell out of a thermal one time into a spin because I was flying too slow for conditions, recovery was textbook and within one half of a turn. I find it relatively easy to fly, it climbs well in thermals. Circles at 50kts is best speed in thermals dry, I add 10kts to all numbers wet. It flies great wet. A true 50:1L/D with the 18m extensions.
Old October 9th 15, 11:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

The reason it was built in limited numbers is that the factory that built the wings burnt.
http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/dg-25-jahre-e.html
"Due to a fire in the wing production room in the year 1992 the DG-600 production had to be shut down with 112 units produced, as the wing moulds had been severely damaged"
Old October 13th 15, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

Also, it makes a huge difference if you fly it with or without winglets,
and in 15, 17 or 18 metre version (pure glider, don;t know about the M).