SZD-55 aileron play

Old October 19th 16, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default SZD-55 aileron play

My SZD-55 (built 1990) had developed play in one aileron over the years. A powerpoint presentation with the relevant Flight Manual pages (allowable play), drawing of aileron system (Tech Svc Manual), and additional drawings and part numbers required to effect the fix, including the cause, and pictures of the fix, are in the files section of the SZD-55 Yahoo! Group. The fix - brass bushing replacement - is not expensive (32 EUR/pair of bushings), and was completed in an hour during my recent annual inspection (with the ppt, probably a half hour, with basic tools and a couple of friends). If your 55 has aileron play/slop, this might be your fix.
To join the group: . You have to have a 55.
I looked at other SZD products (Junior, Puchacz), and their aileron drives are different, so this wouldn't apply to them - probably the thinner airfoil on the 55 drove the design.

Dan
2D
Old October 19th 16, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Do you know about the SZD-59 aileron drive?
Old October 19th 16, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 5:14:42 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Do you know about the SZD-59 aileron drive?

Nope. If you e-mail me the picture of the aileron circuit (from parts manual) for the 59 I can say whether it is the same or not.
Old October 20th 16, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 6:57:43 PM UTC-4, Dan Daly wrote:
On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 5:14:42 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Do you know about the SZD-59 aileron drive?

Nope. If you e-mail me the picture of the aileron circuit (from parts manual) for the 59 I can say whether it is the same or not.

It was pointed out it would have been handy to talk about hours. My glider has 919 hrs on it, and the aileron drive bushing is in a wing that was replaced about 240 hours ago (just prior to me buying it as a factory refurbished glider).

There are 3 55's at my field; one has just a little play, another about half book tolerance, and mine was just under the TSM max (plus/minus 3mm each way, measured at the stick with aileron held steady); I was first up for the fix.

Dan
Old October 20th 16, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Thomson[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

I have no experience of the SZD 55 or the SZD 59 but I have
experienced a long term (slowly worsening) problem of aileron free
play on the SZD 51 Junior. In case there is a family similarity here
is my experience.

In the case of the Junior the wear occurs in the bushes fitted to the
hinge brackets on the wing, particularly in the inboard bracket
which is adjacent to the operating push rod. The aileron hinge
pins also wear but far less. Replacing the "top hat" bush in the
inboard bracket alone produces a dramatic reduction in free play!
You may need to ream the Allstar supplied bushes after you have
installed them.

Jim Thomson

Old October 26th 16, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lukasz K.

Hello,
The same problem is in all Jantar Std family.
The second problem with Jantar Std and 55 aileron is hard deflection. Clean and lubricate bearings in all ailerons hinge - much better.
The specific problem with SZD 55 ailerons is jamming at some position.
In the inner part of the wing you will find aileron drive mechanism consisting of a stone and guide. Never lubricate this part of mechanism!

Triple Play Glen in Orlando Aviation Photos 0 March 28th 09 12:24 PM
Wing play Jack[_4_] Soaring 8 July 8th 07 03:30 AM
Lets play bust the TFR! Michelle P Piloting 0 August 20th 06 05:41 PM
How not to play nice with a GPS Roy Smith Instrument Flight Rules 11 August 24th 05 04:16 AM
Even fundamentalists like to play. Tamas Feher Military Aviation 0 April 29th 04 03:55 PM