NOVEMBER ISSUE - Gliding International

Old October 21st 16, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default NOVEMBER ISSUE - Gliding International

GLIDING INTERNATIONAL
ISSUE NOVEMBER 2016

The November 2016 issue will go in the mail next week and should be with subscribers by November 1.

We must be doing something right as we are experiencing a big lift in circulation, materially aided by our Digital version. The hundreds that have subscribed to the Digital issue will get their November copy in their email box on November 1. The November issue is another great 64 page all colour issue.

• It is time gliding had a good hard look at the Olympics and reintroduce our case for participation. This issue traces the history of gliding’s involvement in the Olympics as far back as 1936. It provides readers with a chance to become informed on gliding’s Olympic history. As an aside to this, comes the news from Germany that one of the country’s biggest clubs has lost 20% of their members over the last six months, a state of affairs not restricted to the Germans. Membership decline must be addressed by the IGC and with more than just the cursory lip service they have given the problem in the past. Olympic participation must be a move in the right direction.

• Aldo Cernezzi, our European correspondent flew the Spanish Nationals in the Pyrenees. Thermalling close to Vultures is really ‘something’, especially soaring in this under-rated historical soaring site in Europe. A great place for a gliding holiday.

• There has been eight fatal gliding accidents in past six weeks. We spend considerable time documenting accidents in most countries with a view to educating the sport on some of its hazards. And we came across the hangar fire that demolished six (6) sailplanes in one go. Read the details!

• Why is the DG1001 two seat trainer the choice of a number of Airforce training organisations. We have a good look at what DG offers and tell our readers that they are good buy. (USA 19, Indonesia 6, Brazil 10, Australia 11).
These upgradable trainers must be a first on any club’s shopping list.

• Little known is the story about the gliders built in Poland with the aid of concrete in the 1960s. A fascinating story.

• Sadly, we report the death of Fred Weinholtz in Germany. Known to thousands world wide, this gliding administrator was the first to publish a book on modern soaring. His inexpensive book, “The Theory of Modern Cross Country Gliding”, was translated for and published in English by our editor. Some 30,000 copies (German and English editions) were sold. There are plans afoot to have Fred’s text updated and the seventh edition of the book out next year. Fred and John were lifetime friends. - A Gliding International project!

• Aldo Cernezzi has flown the first two seat sustainer in series production, the ASG 32Mi from Schleicher. He reports very favourably. (Readers will love our new art work).

• Electric Self Launchers are getting closer and closer. We keep an eye out on all the new battery technology, the secret to this possibility.

• We discovered in the last two months that the New York Herald actually sent a reporter to Germany in 1894 to interview Otto Lilienthal. We have published the interview in full (unedited) complete with the Herald’s sketches of what the reporter saw happening in Germany.

• NASA is putting its money where its mouth is. They are undertaking millions of dollars of research into advanced aviation. We report on six of their projects.

• All this plus 30 other stories that will educate and inform.

As we have said before - our best issue yet!

We hope you will join us.
JOHN ROAKE
EDITOR.

Old October 21st 16, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Branko Stojkovic

Gliding International is a great magazine, digital issue included. Keep up the good work!

Branko
Old October 22nd 16, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Question...

On what devices and with what format can one read the Digital Edition? For example... does it use an app for Android or IOS (Ipad) devices? Can one download a pdf version? Must one read the Digital Edition through a browser pointing to a web site?

Thanks...

Walt Rogers WX

Old October 23rd 16, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Branko Stojkovic

Walt,

I don't think John monitors this thread, so I'll try to answer. You can view the digital edition in a browser, or you can download a pdf version.

The only downside of the digital version is that the photos come out in a relatively low resolution (much lower than the print version).

Branko
XYU
Old October 24th 16, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Branko,

I just received an email from Janice handling subscriptions... Gliding International. In short... no... you cannot download a pdf version. All you can do is read the latest issue and not be able to save it.

Walt Rogers WX

"The digital issue provides you an access code for each issue. This code
is emailed to you usually on the 2nd or 3rd of the month of publication.
The issue is a 'read' only version. You cannot down load the issue, nor
can you transfer it to an alternative electronic device. It is designed
to meet a pricing market.

If you want to retain content information for later, you need to subscribe
to the printed version which is airmailed usually on 27/28th of the month
prior to publication month. A printed version subscription does not give
you access to the Digital version."

In
Old October 24th 16, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Sunday, October 23, 2016 at 8:21:55 PM UTC-6, WaltWX wrote:
[...]

Well, I have both the last 2 issues saved as a PDF file. I also went online and again downloaded the Sept./Oct issue ( which now I have 2) which saved as a PDF file. You can also read it or print it. I can also print it as a saved PDF file.

Maybe a change is coming for the Nov. issue, we shall see.

Best. Tom #711.
Old October 24th 16, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

On Sunday, October 23, 2016 at 7:45:55 PM UTC-7, Tom Kelley #711 wrote:
[...]

Interesting...

I'll have to get clarification on whether they intended to let one save an issue as a pdf file.

Walt WX
Old October 24th 16, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Sunday, October 23, 2016 at 11:11:35 PM UTC-6, WaltWX wrote:
[...]

When the digital edition was announced, it was said to be online viewable, not downloadable.

Frank Whiteley
Old October 24th 16, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've downloaded them as well. No trickery required, there was a download button in the corner. Probably an unofficial option that will go away for the asking.
Old October 24th 16, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom (TK)

I was also able to download.