15 meter version of ETA

Old October 28th 16, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Default 15 meter version of ETA

See it fly:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/vOy_RnaymL0
Old October 28th 16, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, October 28, 2016 at 6:19:14 AM UTC-7, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
See it fly:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/vOy_RnaymL0

amazing what those scale modelers are doing these days!
Old October 28th 16, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Friday, October 28, 2016 at 2:29:40 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, October 28, 2016 at 6:19:14 AM UTC-7, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
See it fly:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/vOy_RnaymL0

amazing what those scale modelers are doing these days!

It's pretty impressive, but design is easier when you don't have to carry around a 70 kg lump of meat. :-)

Craig

Old October 30th 16, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've flown a lot of RC, and it was always funny when full-scale pilots showed up at the field and thought that flying RC would be just like flying "real airplanes". They invariably failed with hilarious results. I can tell you that learning to fly RC is much harder than learning to fly full-scale, at least in terms of stick-and-rudder skills. RC aircraft are far less stable, and you need to be able to mentally flip your control axes when the aircraft is flying toward you. Go to YouTube and search for RC 3D aerobatics, and you will gain a new respect for RC pilots.
Old October 30th 16, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 4:06:39 AM UTC+3, wrote:
I've flown a lot of RC, and it was always funny when full-scale pilots showed up at the field and thought that flying RC would be just like flying "real airplanes". They invariably failed with hilarious results. I can tell you that learning to fly RC is much harder than learning to fly full-scale, at least in terms of stick-and-rudder skills. RC aircraft are far less stable, and you need to be able to mentally flip your control axes when the aircraft is flying toward you. Go to YouTube and search for RC 3D aerobatics, and you will gain a new respect for RC pilots.

I've tried friends' RC planes and choppers a few times and didn't find it all that hard. Maybe because I've spent a bit of time in Condor and other SIMs doing circuits and stuff from "Control Tower" view.

The funny thing though is the number of super experienced RC pilots who flat out refuse any offer of a ride/trial lesson in "full scale" (as they call it).
Old October 30th 16, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Back in the early 70s when I was a student pilot, I decided to fly RC,
too. I bought and built a kit radio and a kit plane and took them to
the local RC field.

I was a jet pilot! I can fly anything! This will be easy! Why are all
the other planes painted a different color on top than on the bottom? I
soon learned... Every "landing" I ever made was straight down at full
power and resulted in a complete rebuild. Hmmmmmm... Maybe there's some
skill required after all?

Dan

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 30th 16, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

I am sure there is a lot of skill required to fly RC, but does it transfer. I played a lot of "Leisure Suit Larry" back in the day, but not sure that helped me either!

On a real note I did take a crack RC helicopter guy flying in a helicopter, he could not be trued without a tight guard on the cyclic, i.e., he didn't know sh!t about flying a helicopter.

Jon

Old October 30th 16, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 9:21:56 PM UTC+3, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
I am sure there is a lot of skill required to fly RC, but does it transfer. I played a lot of "Leisure Suit Larry" back in the day, but not sure that helped me either!

On a real note I did take a crack RC helicopter guy flying in a helicopter, he could not be trued without a tight guard on the cyclic, i.e., he didn't know sh!t about flying a helicopter.

As long as he wasn't pumping the collective from top to bottom and back twice a second...

Those guys don't fly as much as overpower the air.

RC glider guys at least are working mostly within the same kind of constraints as we are. Except flutter and G loadings.
Old October 31st 16, 11:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete[_9_]

If you haven't tried your hand at R/C it's worth doing. catching a thermal at 200 ft and working the plane up with circling birds is not to be missed!

Meter for L Nav HL Falbaum[_2_] Soaring 0 December 19th 08 05:20 PM
For sale: DG-600 17-meter and 15-meter wingtips Lars Peder Hansen Soaring 0 January 21st 07 06:18 PM
FS: G Meter nobody Aviation Marketplace 0 August 6th 05 06:58 PM
G meter Paul Anton Home Built 0 June 4th 05 06:45 PM
G-meter G.R. Patterson III Piloting 2 February 29th 04 03:13 PM