A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

15 meter version of ETA

Old October 28th 16, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas
external usenet poster

Default 15 meter version of ETA

See it fly:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/vOy_RnaymL0
Old October 28th 16, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, October 28, 2016 at 6:19:14 AM UTC-7, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
See it fly:

amazing what those scale modelers are doing these days!
Old October 28th 16, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston
external usenet poster

On Friday, October 28, 2016 at 2:29:40 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, October 28, 2016 at 6:19:14 AM UTC-7, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
See it fly:

It's pretty impressive, but design is easier when you don't have to carry around a 70 kg lump of meat. :-)

Craig
Old October 28th 16, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

You can find many videos of a 1/3 scale B-17 undergoing taxi tests. Yes they are incredible, but I want to fly so the RC has no appeal to me. Several times the local RC club guys would come at to my gliderport for some real flying when it was not right conditions to fly the RC. It always amazed me (I have never flown R/C) that these guys always thought they were pilots and flying a real aircraft would be just like the R/C. I usually went about my own business then, have no idea if they are right, but I suspect real pilotage is much different that R/C.

On Friday, October 28, 2016 at 3:11:56 PM UTC-7, Craig Funston wrote:
On Friday, October 28, 2016 at 2:29:40 PM UTC-7, wrote:
See it fly:

It's pretty impressive, but design is easier when you don't have to carry around a 70 kg lump of meat. :-)

Craig

Old October 30th 16, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I've flown a lot of RC, and it was always funny when full-scale pilots showed up at the field and thought that flying RC would be just like flying "real airplanes". They invariably failed with hilarious results. I can tell you that learning to fly RC is much harder than learning to fly full-scale, at least in terms of stick-and-rudder skills. RC aircraft are far less stable, and you need to be able to mentally flip your control axes when the aircraft is flying toward you. Go to YouTube and search for RC 3D aerobatics, and you will gain a new respect for RC pilots.
Old October 30th 16, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

On Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 4:06:39 AM UTC+3, wrote:
I've flown a lot of RC, and it was always funny when full-scale pilots showed up at the field and thought that flying RC would be just like flying "real airplanes". They invariably failed with hilarious results. I can tell you that learning to fly RC is much harder than learning to fly full-scale, at least in terms of stick-and-rudder skills. RC aircraft are far less stable, and you need to be able to mentally flip your control axes when the aircraft is flying toward you. Go to YouTube and search for RC 3D aerobatics, and you will gain a new respect for RC pilots.

I've tried friends' RC planes and choppers a few times and didn't find it all that hard. Maybe because I've spent a bit of time in Condor and other SIMs doing circuits and stuff from "Control Tower" view.

The funny thing though is the number of super experienced RC pilots who flat out refuse any offer of a ride/trial lesson in "full scale" (as they call it).
Old October 30th 16, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Back in the early 70s when I was a student pilot, I decided to fly RC,
too. I bought and built a kit radio and a kit plane and took them to
the local RC field.

I was a jet pilot! I can fly anything! This will be easy! Why are all
the other planes painted a different color on top than on the bottom? I
soon learned... Every "landing" I ever made was straight down at full
power and resulted in a complete rebuild. Hmmmmmm... Maybe there's some
skill required after all?

Dan

On 10/29/2016 7:06 PM, wrote:

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 30th 16, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

I am sure there is a lot of skill required to fly RC, but does it transfer. I played a lot of "Leisure Suit Larry" back in the day, but not sure that helped me either!

On a real note I did take a crack RC helicopter guy flying in a helicopter, he could not be trued without a tight guard on the cyclic, i.e., he didn't know sh!t about flying a helicopter.

Jon

On Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 10:24:52 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Back in the early 70s when I was a student pilot, I decided to fly RC,
too. I bought and built a kit radio and a kit plane and took them to
the local RC field.

I was a jet pilot! I can fly anything! This will be easy! Why are all
the other planes painted a different color on top than on the bottom? I
soon learned... Every "landing" I ever made was straight down at full
power and resulted in a complete rebuild. Hmmmmmm... Maybe there's some
skill required after all?

Dan

Old October 30th 16, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

On Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 9:21:56 PM UTC+3, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
I am sure there is a lot of skill required to fly RC, but does it transfer. I played a lot of "Leisure Suit Larry" back in the day, but not sure that helped me either!

On a real note I did take a crack RC helicopter guy flying in a helicopter, he could not be trued without a tight guard on the cyclic, i.e., he didn't know sh!t about flying a helicopter.

As long as he wasn't pumping the collective from top to bottom and back twice a second...

Those guys don't fly as much as overpower the air.

RC glider guys at least are working mostly within the same kind of constraints as we are. Except flutter and G loadings.
Old October 31st 16, 11:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete[_9_]
external usenet poster

If you haven't tried your hand at R/C it's worth doing. catching a thermal at 200 ft and working the plane up with circling birds is not to be missed!