Flying a 2-33

Old October 5th 03, 03:08 AM
Fred Blair

Default Flying a 2-33

I will be flying a 2-33 next week. I have only flown Blaniks, Larks and my
Libelle.
What are the important speeds for the 2-33?
Does it have any unusual characteristics?

Thanks,
Fred

Old October 5th 03, 06:01 AM
BTIZ

send me an email I'll send you a acrobat.pdf file.. 1.6meg
all speeds are mph
best L/d solo, 45, dual 50
min sink, solo, 36, dual 45
Max aero tow, 98
Max airbrake operation 98
max auto/winch tow 69
stall solo 31 dual 34

after flying the Blanik you'll think it's a truck...

BT

Old October 5th 03, 05:24 PM
Mike Stramba

"Fred Blair" wrote in message ...

I will be flying a 2-33 next week.

Why? Did you lose a bet ? g.

I have only flown Blaniks, Larks and my
Libelle.
What are the important speeds for the 2-33?

Vne 98 mph , best L/D ~45 mph , min sink ~ 40 mph

Does it have any unusual characteristics?

- 23:1 ... at best g.

- It doesn't stall or spin More like "mush" and "lazy wing drop".

- On tow you won't be able to trim off the forward pressure

- Aileron / stick movement at slow speeds is limited by your legs !
Think "long" control throw !

Mike

Thanks,
Fred

Old October 5th 03, 06:03 PM
BTIZ

and after flying the LS-4.. the Grob 103 is a truck and the 2-33 is a d-9
Cat..

LOL

"Judy Ruprecht" wrote in message
At 05:06 05 October 2003, Btiz wrote:
after flying the Blanik you'll think it's a truck...

... and after flying your trusty 301, you'll think
the 2-33 is a d-9 Cat...

Old October 5th 03, 09:22 PM
Mark James Boyd

In article 4aYfb.8917$La.749@fed1read02,
BTIZ wrote:
- On tow you won't be able to trim off the forward pressure

very true..

Before we re-covered it and pulled many pounds of dried mud out
of the tail, our 2-33 was much more tail heavy than the
many years old official weight and balance. I suspect our
case was not unique.

I now always put 20 pounds in the ballast holder up front if
the front seat passenger weighs less than 200 pounds. This has
really helped reduce the need for forward stick pressure when
flying from the back. It also makes the glider more stable
and a bit difficult to stall. Finally, it eliminated the
annoying tendency I had as a student of starting tow with
full elevator and then once tugged a little, having the tail
bang down and not have enough forward authority to get
the nose back down for a while. This takeoff porpise was
not a personal favorite.

I had considered it would be easy to do an amateur W&B check
by just using the wheel as a lever, and balancing a front
occupant(in the seat) with some weights/water on the tail.
Since I know what I weigh, if I measured to the horiz stab
and the wheel, and did a little algebra, I could find the
right amount of water to put in jugs to balance it based on
the official W&B. If I did this and it was still tail or
nose heavy, I'd know the W&B was off.

Having had problems myself, and having Mary Campbell's
(Soar Hawaii) story of a near fatal spin in a glider
with a twenty year old W&B, I am apt to check the accuracy
of W&B in any new aircraft I fly. I wouldn't suggest formally
doing this, however. My 172 gained over 100 pounds by my
A&Ps calculations, and a local rental cessna 150 became a
one-seater this way.

Mark Boyd

Old October 6th 03, 01:12 AM
Nolaminar

The 2-33 will spin. I have had it demonstrated and I was able to show that it
can indeed be spun.
GA
Old October 6th 03, 01:48 AM
DGRTEK

This is almost a troll !!
Fred,
Don't listen to all the bashing. Go have a great flight. Every glider has it's
pro's and cons. Don't expect it to be a high performing glider, just enjoy
what it can do.

Douglas

Old October 6th 03, 09:58 PM
Jack

in article 8R0gb.8934$La.3583@fed1read02, BTIZ at
wrote on 2003/10/05 17:23:

#20pounds in the ballast box?? that is way to much for OUR 2-33 with a 200#
pilot....

But how much mud is in your tail?

Jack