What it's all about

Old April 3rd 05, 11:49 PM
Andrew Gideon

Jay Honeck wrote:

Whenever I lay awake at nights, questioning the sanity of buying an old
hotel to turn into a fly-in aviation destination, I only need to remind
myself of days like these -- 12 solid hours spent talking, living,
breathing this thing we all love, aviation.

This is why I cannot figure out why we don't see more pilots at the various
"events" or "meetings" we have around here. It's all just glorified
"hanger flying", with the occasional safety seminar thrown in for fun.

Still...before I tried this, it never occurred to me how much fun they'd be.
But I was drawn to go...and then I was hooked.

- Andrew

P.S. There's a Kathy Jaffe seminar on April 5 in Fairfield, NJ.
You can read more about it at:

http://www.midatlanticpilots.com/kathyjaffe.html

Old April 4th 05, 02:27 AM
Jay Honeck

Sounds like you're enjoying the risk you took in venturing out into the
business beyond. I'm considering a job change into a new field and as a
freelancer. Feeling those same pangs of risk but hoping in a year I'm
enjoying some of the benefits as much as you seem to, Jay.

Well, this is our third business, and by far the riskiest one.

So far, however, I have to say that it's been a blast. Not very profitable,
mind you (we're still pouring everything we make -- and more -- into the
renovation), but it's just hard to imagine doing anything more fun than
hanging out with pilots all day.

Of course, when I'm standing ankle deep in sh*t, plunging an over-flowing
toilet that's pouring into the suite, below, all cuz some bird-brain flushed
one of our pens down the toilet, I try to remember all this...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 4th 05, 02:28 AM
Jay Honeck

Whereas I'm stuck in Ottawa with a AIRMET for icing covering my entire
route home. And I forgot to bring any work so I can't even bill any hours
while I'm waiting for the rain and snow to clear.

Ouch. That sucks, man.

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 4th 05, 02:33 AM
Jay Honeck

Awww man, you definitely topped me this weekend Jay!
But, for me and my family "what it's all about" is taking off after
breakfast, flying over the pond to see the in-laws the "other" cousins and
great-grandparents for lunch, then being home in time for supper.
What a great day!!! When we saw 219kt ground speed going over to 9D9
(Hastings, MI) at 7000, I knew we'd pay for it on the way home and we
did...
30 knots right on the nose and when we got lower the bumps to go with the
wind.

Yeah, after all the hoopla was over and the guests departed this morning, we
finally got to do some flying ourselves.

Only flew over to Amana for lunch, due to time constraints, but it sure felt
good to get that first grass-field landing of the year in. The food was
awesome (as always), but, wow, was the air rough! We never got above 3000
feet (it's only 18 miles away), and just got the snot kicked out of us. On
the ground, it was virtually calm all day -- and 73 degrees.

And my streak of great landings came to an abrupt end, too, with a thud.
Oh, well -- it couldn't last forever! (And we can re-use the plane, so it
wasn't *too* bad....)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 4th 05, 02:36 AM
Jim Burns

Awww man, you definitely topped me this weekend Jay!
But, for me and my family "what it's all about" is taking off after
breakfast, flying over the pond to see the in-laws the "other" cousins and
great-grandparents for lunch, then being home in time for supper.
What a great day!!! When we saw 219kt ground speed going over to 9D9
(Hastings, MI) at 7000, I knew we'd pay for it on the way home and we did...
30 knots right on the nose and when we got lower the bumps to go with the
wind.

Oh well, still a great day for all!
Jim

Old April 4th 05, 02:57 AM
john smith

Jay Honeck wrote:
Of course, when I'm standing ankle deep in sh*t, plunging an over-flowing
toilet that's pouring into the suite, below, all cuz some bird-brain flushed
one of our pens down the toilet, I try to remember all this...
;-)

Those must be REALLY BIG pens!!!
Old April 4th 05, 05:36 AM
Morgans

"Denny" wrote in message
oups.com...
You realize, that WILL be deducted from your time in paradise!

denny

No way! You get that time back, double!
--
Jim in NC

Old April 4th 05, 01:01 PM
Jay Honeck

Of course, when I'm standing ankle deep in sh*t, plunging an over-flowing
toilet that's pouring into the suite, below, all cuz some bird-brain
flushed one of our pens down the toilet, I try to remember all this...
;-)

Those must be REALLY BIG pens!!!

Actually, you'd be amazed how a pen can disable a toilet. A pen that gets
lodged sideways in the p-trap will get wrapped with toilet paper in a
heartbeat, followed by you-know-what.

I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 4th 05, 01:02 PM
Jay Honeck

Excuse me, but by "bird-brain" I'm sure you mean "customer"...

Actually, we don't have "customers" -- we have "guests"...

A subtle -- but important -- difference. Guests are expected to behave
themselves!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck