Comanche accident averted last evening

Old April 9th 05, 03:27 PM
Dave

More than true..

I had a friend who, several years ago, landed his 185 with
the Amphib wheels down..

An instant "face plant" that he barley escaped from with his
life (both doors jambed)

A detail missed on a combination land/water circuit that,
fortunately only cost him the aircraft...

Dave

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 22:43:08 -0500, "Highflyer" wrote:

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
Highflyer wrote:

No. You can if you want to though! :-) I used to fly a Seabee. You
want the gear UP for a water landing and the gear DOWN for a runway
landing. I used to announce "This is a WATER landing. The landing gear
is UP" and then look out my window at the gear and look at it and then
say "My landing gear is UP." For a land landing I would make suitable
adjustments. Sometimes passengers looked at me funny, but I never landed
with the gear in the wrong position! :-)
In the seabee it's a bigger deal to land gear down in the water than

gear up on the land. Just a little scraping and difficulty with taxi.

That is very true. Any amphibian, even amphibious floats, when landed on
water with the wheels down will generally make for a real "slam dunk" and
the airplane will do its best to emulate a submarine.

Any amphibian, landing on land with the wheels up, will generally scrape a
bit off the keels and scratch a little paint if you land on pavement and
likely won't do a thing if you land on grass.

We used to land airplanes on straight floats on the grass every fall to
change them over to wheels or skis for the winter. In the spring we would
put the floats back on and take off either with a dolly that stayed on the
runway, or off of wet grass!

Highflyer
Highflight Aviation Services
Pinckneyville Airport ( PJY )

Old April 10th 05, 03:35 AM
Capt.Doug

noflapsatgmail.com wrote in message I have a new level of respect for
ATC after what happened today. And an
even higher level of respect for Checklists!

ATC policy in this region is to notify the FAA FSDO of the incident. They in
turn mail out a form with which to self-incriminate one's self.

D.

Old April 10th 05, 08:06 AM
aluckyguess

I did a check ride in a 172 this week in Honolulu and when we went over to
another airport to do a couple touch and goes they said the gear down thing.
I thought it was odd.
"kontiki" wrote in message
Towers at military fields issue a "check gear down" instruction along
with the landing clearance... I always thought that would be a good
idea for GA also.

It usually takes a while to get a Comanche slowed down enough so extending
the gear is more of a necessity. I usually keep my speed up pretty well
until closing in on the field which practically forces me to reach for the
gear lever to get slowed down enough. But things such as long straight in
approaches, or getting slowed down further out can lull you into a sense
of comfort. There's just no substitute for doing the GUMPS check
religiously.

Old April 13th 05, 10:02 AM
Roger

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 23:02:18 -0500, "Highflyer" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Nothing worse than that sinking feeling just before you hear the
tortured sound of metal on the runway. Then discovering you have to use
full power to taxi......
I've made it a habit to do a "short final Checklist"...levers forward,
gear down and locked. It has saved me from that embarassing sinking
feeling a couple times while distracted on short final.

Checklists are good. Ok, almost a necessity, but there is one thing
they can't do and that is keep you from forgetting to put the gear
down every time. There is such a thing as conditioning. We see what
we expect and react accordingly. When I was getting checked out in
the Deb, the insurance company required 25 hours dual(or I think it
was...been a while). I had been doing air work, lots of take offs
and landings, instrument work, (lots of hood work), emergency
procedures (51 turns to get the gear down) and to crank the gear down
you have to lean back between the seats. You can see the instruments,
but absolutely nothing outside and it takes nearly 3 minutes to crank
that sucker down.

I had been expecting the instructor to pull the breaker, but hours had
gone by with nary a touch. We were coming back in from a good
instrument work out. I entered the pattern and turned down wind. A
touch of flaps to help slow us, then hit the gear switch near the end
of the runway outbound. (GU[green light and nose gear pointer
down]MP) Coming up on base I was having a devil of a time slowing to
90, but with a bit of flaps and work I had 90 on base with 80 on
final. I did a GUMP on base and final as well. I even did a 100 foot
gear check.

As we came over the numbers and I started easing the nose up I was
greeted by a loud, obnoxious (cheap sounding) alarm. My hand
automatically went to the throttle so I could regroup my thoughts at a
more leisurely pace.

I not only had missed the tell tale deceleration which feels like you
put on the brakes when the gear comes down, I had pointed to the green
light for the mains, *identified* it as lit, pointed to the nose gear
indicator and identified it as down *FOUR* times if you count the 100
foot gear check. BTW you are still 30 to 40 feet up when you start
the round out in the Deb.

Even though the green light was not lit I identified it as being so.
Even though the nose gear pointer was up, I looked at it and
identified it as down. I saw what I had been conditioned to expect.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Ol S&B

I remember many years ago we had a Bonanza land. He was going to retract
the flaps on rollout and hit the gear switch instead. Then a bump in the
runway lifted him off the "squat switch" and the gear instantly retracted
putting him on his belly.

Contrary to popular belief this is almost as common in other retracts
as well.

We notified the FAA and they send an inspector down from the GADO ( now
FSDO ). He flew over to our airport in one of the FAA's light twins. And
proceeded to land gear up! We gave him a bad time about having to send
another inspector down to investigate HIS gear up landing! He was a mite
embarassed. :-)