Angel Flight gets some good local press

Old April 10th 05, 01:55 PM
Dave S

Default Angel Flight gets some good local press

The following made the Sunday edition of the Houston Chronicle, the only
daily English paper in the 4th Largest US city.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...olitan/3126650

The first few viewings are "free", after that, repeated browsing
requires a free registration. First couple paragraphs pasted.

On a side note, this article played out in the Chronicle's "This Week"
segment which is a weekly "community-specific" section of the paper -
stuff local interest, area Chamber of Commerce, school stuff..

Patients' 'angels' still flying high
Volunteer pilots offer free flights for out-of-towners treated in Texas
and 6 other states
By EDWARD HEGSTROM
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

In the big state of Texas, patients sometimes have to drive hours just
to get to the hospital.

So a group of volunteer small-plane pilots got an idea: Why not offer to
fly patients to the hospital?

That was in 1991. Fourteen years later, Angel Flight South Central has
flown 11,000 patient flights. The organization also provides service to
six nearby states.......

Old April 10th 05, 04:35 PM
houstondan

dave...thanks for posting that.. i'm a news junkie but i would have
missed that piece as it's in the "this week" and that's not part of my
on-line cruise.

i know a least one person around here who is very active in the angel
program and i've nothing but admiration for her for doin it.

dan

Old April 10th 05, 06:26 PM
Bob Gardner

As much as some pilots hate to pat themselves on the back, IMHO the local
newsies should be notified about every Angel Flight. Gotta get the word out
that we are not rich playboys.

Bob Gardner

ink.net...

Old April 10th 05, 11:46 PM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

If you've never done it, offer to go along as a waiver signing co-pilot.
You will no doubt be hooked. I LOVE any and all flights I'm able to take.
(Can't take as many as I would like.)

FWIW: Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic's annual banquet is the 16th in Virginia
Beach.
--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

VOsborne2 at charter dot net

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
As much as some pilots hate to pat themselves on the back, IMHO the local
newsies should be notified about every Angel Flight. Gotta get the word
out that we are not rich playboys.

Bob Gardner

ink.net...

Old April 10th 05, 11:57 PM
Gary Drescher

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
As much as some pilots hate to pat themselves on the back, IMHO the local
newsies should be notified about every Angel Flight. Gotta get the word
out that we are not rich playboys.

Bob, I volunteer for Angel Flight too; it's a worthy organization. But I
don't think that sort of volunteerism speaks as well for pilots as you
suggest. After all, if the main goal were to help others, there'd be *much*
more cost-effective ways to do so than by flying Angel Flight missions.
Angel Flight does make recreational flying a bit less uselessly hedonistic
than it would otherwise be--which is why I volunteer for the missions. But I
don't think we sould kid ourselves into thinking that Angel Flight
volunteering makes us especially humanitarian.

--Gary

Bob Gardner

ink.net...

Old April 11th 05, 12:25 AM
Peter R.

Gary Drescher wrote:

But I
don't think we sould kid ourselves into thinking that Angel Flight
volunteering makes us especially humanitarian.

I disagree strongly. Angel Flight does not exist to fly a bunch of boy
scouts around to raise pennies for a hospital that in the end won't make a
dent in their deficit.

Instead, there are thousands of families in the US who *need* Angel Flight.
They simply have no other transportation choice to seek the medical care
that they need to live. Without the organization, there are some,
especially organ transplant patients, who might die much sooner.

As an Angel Flight pilot, I believe I finally found *my* way to give back
to the community. If your calling is to be knee high in mud pulling
survivors out of an earthquake-ravaged village, I have a lot of respect for
you. But for you to tell me that spending hours away from my family every
month and spending many hard dollars out of my pocket flying for Angel
Flight is not humanitarian, I say you are wrong.

--
Peter

Old April 11th 05, 01:17 AM
Dan Luke

"Peter R." wrote:
Gary Drescher wrote:
But I don't think we sould kid ourselves into thinking that
Angel Flight volunteering makes us especially humanitarian.

As an Angel Flight pilot, I believe I finally found *my* way to give
back
to the community. If your calling is to be knee high in mud pulling
survivors out of an earthquake-ravaged village, I have a lot of
respect for
you. But for you to tell me that spending hours away from my family
every
month and spending many hard dollars out of my pocket flying for Angel
Flight is not humanitarian, I say you are wrong.

I agree with Gary. In flying Angel Flights, I'm doing what I enjoy
most; the sacrifice is minimal. It is very heartwarming to feel the
gratitude of the pax and to know that I am helping them, but I don't kid
myself that I'm in the same humanitarian class as people who do
volunteer work in disaster areas, for example.

All that aside, I recommend that all pilots consider Angel Flight. It's
fun, rewarding, and will broaden your flying experience. Angel Flight
needs pilots!
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old April 11th 05, 01:23 AM
Peter R.

Dan Luke wrote:

In flying Angel Flights, I'm doing what I enjoy
most; the sacrifice is minimal.

Who ever wrote that one had to be miserable to be humanitarian?

--
Peter

Old April 11th 05, 02:14 AM
Blueskies

"Dan Luke" wrote in message ...

I agree with Gary. In flying Angel Flights, I'm doing what I enjoy most; the sacrifice is minimal. It is very
heartwarming to feel the gratitude of the pax and to know that I am helping them, but I don't kid myself that I'm in
the same humanitarian class as people who do volunteer work in disaster areas, for example.

All that aside, I recommend that all pilots consider Angel Flight. It's fun, rewarding, and will broaden your flying
experience. Angel Flight needs pilots!
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

And there are tax benefits too, right?

Old April 11th 05, 03:08 AM
Dan Luke

"Peter R." wrote:
In flying Angel Flights, I'm doing what I enjoy
most; the sacrifice is minimal.

Who ever wrote that one had to be miserable to be humanitarian?

That seemed to be your point. You were the one going on about the
sacrifices you make for Angel Flight. Do they make you miserable?

Drescher minimized his stature as a humanitarian for being an Angel
Flight pilot, with which I agree. I don't think I'm making any
sacrifices; it's hard for me to pat myself on the back for doing
something that is so much fun.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM