plane to carry bikes?

Old December 30th 05, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default plane to carry bikes?

What would you guys recommend to carry 4 or 5 GoldWings and their
riders? Doesn't need to be able to cross an ocean 8-). It needs to be
one that mere mortals can afford, so 747's and C5's are out.

Thanks,
David M.
Old December 30th 05, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"karel" wrote in message

"AINut" schreef in bericht
What would you guys recommend to carry 4 or 5 GoldWings and their riders?
Doesn't need to be able to cross an ocean 8-). It needs to be one that
mere mortals can afford, so 747's and C5's are out.

Are you claiming you're a mere mortal
& can afford several goldwings?

Apart counting $, let's count weight.
A GoldWing weighs in at some 400lbs, I should guess?

.... more like 800 lbs. each ...

Bernie
(that boxcar in next post isn't even halfway; how about a hushed
three-holer, ex-UPS or so?)

Generally two people on top, another 300 lbs?
So 4-5 times 700lbs = +/- 3000 lbs payload
plus fuel plus luggage plus whatever...?

If you're not in the US of A, an An-2 might come near, though not close
at least if you can manage to board the GoldWing things
Next close might be a DHC6 TwinOtter
But I cannot imagine any homebuilt in that weight range,
so in this NG I can't see much of a useable answer.

Consider a DC-3, perhaps?
But that's closer to a HD than to a goldwing, i'm afraid.

Old December 30th 05, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

AINut wrote:
What would you guys recommend to carry 4 or 5 GoldWings and their
riders? Doesn't need to be able to cross an ocean 8-). It needs to be
one that mere mortals can afford, so 747's and C5's are out.

Thanks,
David M.

A trailer.

--
J Kimmel

www.metalinnovations.com

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - When you have
their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.
Old December 30th 05, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

("karel" wrote)
Apart counting $, let's count weight.
A GoldWing weighs in at some 400lbs, I should guess?
Generally two people on top, another 300 lbs?
So 4-5 times 700lbs = +/- 3000 lbs payload
plus fuel plus luggage plus whatever...?

My (1981) 2 cylinder Yamahopper 650 Special II weighed 450 lbs. New Gold
Wings are 1,832cc behemoths.

Gold Wing = 800+ lbs.
GW Riders = 400 lbs per couple (approx).

1,200 lbs x 5 = 6,000 lbs

DC-3

http://www.baslerturbo.com/specifications.html
Basler Turbo Conversions BT-67
Between 3 and 4 miles per minute @ 100 to 150 gallons per hour

Montblack

Old December 30th 05, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

In article ,
AINut wrote:

What would you guys recommend to carry 4 or 5 GoldWings and their
riders? Doesn't need to be able to cross an ocean 8-). It needs to be
one that mere mortals can afford, so 747's and C5's are out.

Thanks,
David M.

Why not put some retractable wings on those puppies, and a drive wheel
that morphs into a pusher prop? A few concept sketches, some mythical
performance figures, and a website ought to start the investor money
pouring in.
Old December 30th 05, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Richard Riley wrote:

If you could find a good radial powered 123, it could be a match. The
one they used in "Air America" was for sale a while back.

Well I guess, it was tore up someth'n aweful during the movie... ;-)

Or there's this...

http://avbooking.com/showad.php?adc=04325a3EPJK

There used to be one forsale south of Alexandria, La...
Old December 30th 05, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

AINut wrote:
What would you guys recommend to carry 4 or 5 GoldWings and their
riders? Doesn't need to be able to cross an ocean 8-). It needs to be
one that mere mortals can afford, so 747's and C5's are out.

You're looking for a Shorts Skyvan. It's not overkill (small twin
turboprop) and the back end is a ramp to make loading and unloading
your goldwings easier.

So what if it looks like a shoebox with wings on it.

http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~ito-nori/skyvan.html

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old December 31st 05, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"AINut" wrote in message
What would you guys recommend to carry 4 or 5 GoldWings and their
riders? Doesn't need to be able to cross an ocean 8-). It needs to be
one that mere mortals can afford, so 747's and C5's are out.

The older unpressurized turboprops would work. The Casa 212 and the Shorts
SC-7 Skyvan both have ramps in the back for drive-on convenience. Both can
be had for well under
1 $MilUS.

D.

Old December 31st 05, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Darrel Toepfer wrote:

Richard Riley wrote:

If you could find a good radial powered 123, it could be a match. The
one they used in "Air America" was for sale a while back.

Well I guess, it was tore up someth'n aweful during the movie... ;-)

Or there's this...

http://avbooking.com/showad.php?adc=04325a3EPJK

There used to be one forsale south of Alexandria, La...

Not much left south of Alexandria after this past hurricane season.
John

Old December 31st 05, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

UltraJohn wrote:

There used to be one forsale south of Alexandria, La...

Not much left south of Alexandria after this past hurricane season.

Not up on geography huh? I'm 70 miles south, didn't get anything from
Katrina, got some wind and rain from Rita, not as many tornados as Lili
of years past, higher sustained duration winds though. I lost fence and
roof to Lili, lost only trees to Rita. Leaving next week to survey the
damage recovery from Wilma in Cozumel...