Rutan on Global Warming

Old August 3rd 09, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Granby

Default Rutan on Global Warming

Anyone else see his Oshkosh tirade? Excellent stuff!
Old August 4th 09, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
scott

"Mike Granby" wrote in message

Anyone else see his Oshkosh tirade? Excellent stuff!

No, I didn't, so....got a link?

Old August 4th 09, 07:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 19:11:15 -0500, "scott" wrote in :

"Mike Granby" wrote in message

Anyone else see his Oshkosh tirade? Excellent stuff!

No, I didn't, so....got a link?

http://www.airventure.org/news/2009/090731_rutan.html

https://twitter.com/stgarrity/status/3072354918

Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.
Old August 4th 09, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Granby

Slides here, but no audio, which was of course the best bit...

http://www.slideshare.net/QuestSyste...anv5-read-only
Old August 7th 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

:

"Mike Granby" wrote in message

Anyone else see his Oshkosh tirade? Excellent stuff!

No, I didn't, so....got a link?

http://www.airventure.org/news/2009/090731_rutan.html

"He said data shows that concerns about global warming are false. "CO2 is
plant food, not a pollutant," he said. "It's been 20 times as high as it
now. If you have a 1.2 percent increase in cloud formation and
precipitation, it offsets a 100 percent increase of CO2 in the atmosphere."

Gosh, Burt Rutan is climate genius, too! He knows more than the scientists.
Impressive!

--
Dan

"How can an idiot be a policeman? Answer me that!"
-Chief Inspector Dreyfus

Old August 8th 09, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Dan Luke" wrote:
"Martin X. Moleski, SJ" wrote:
http://www.airventure.org/news/2009/090731_rutan.html

"He said data shows that concerns about global warming are false. "CO2
is plant food, not a pollutant," he said. "It's been 20 times as high
as it now. If you have a 1.2 percent increase in cloud formation and
precipitation, it offsets a 100 percent increase of CO2 in the
atmosphere."

Gosh, Burt Rutan is climate genius, too!

So which of his numbers is wrong?

He knows more than the scientists. Impressive!

"Locus ab auctoritate est infirmissimus"

But here's his CV anyway:
http://www.roycecarlton.com/speaker-...riculum-Vitae/
Old August 8th 09, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
"Dan Luke" wrote:
"Martin X. Moleski, SJ" wrote:
http://www.airventure.org/news/2009/090731_rutan.html

"He said data shows that concerns about global warming are false. "CO2
is plant food, not a pollutant," he said. "It's been 20 times as high
as it now. If you have a 1.2 percent increase in cloud formation and
precipitation, it offsets a 100 percent increase of CO2 in the
atmosphere."

Gosh, Burt Rutan is climate genius, too!

So which of his numbers is wrong?

Which of his numbers is relevant?

He knows more than the scientists. Impressive!

"Locus ab auctoritate est infirmissimus"

I would say the argument from cluelessness is weakest.

Rutan charged that climate scientists have it wrong, setting himself as a
superior authority. Is he?

--
Dan

T182T at 4R4

Old August 8th 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Dan Luke wrote:
"He said data shows that concerns about global warming are false. "CO2 is
plant food, not a pollutant," he said. "It's been 20 times as high as it
now. If you have a 1.2 percent increase in cloud formation and
precipitation, it offsets a 100 percent increase of CO2 in the atmosphere."

Gosh, Burt Rutan is climate genius, too! He knows more than the scientists.
Impressive!

Makes me wonder what kind of excellent composite aircraft the met
researchers could create, if they put their minds to it!

Brian W
Old August 8th 09, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Dan Luke wrote:

I would say the argument from cluelessness is weakest.

Rutan charged that climate scientists have it wrong, setting himself
as a superior authority. Is he?

Rutan is in agreement with many climate scientists.

Old August 8th 09, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Dan Luke" wrote:
"Martin X. Moleski, SJ" wrote:
http://www.airventure.org/news/2009/090731_rutan.html

"He said data shows that concerns about global warming are false.
"CO2 is plant food, not a pollutant," he said. "It's been 20 times
as high as it now. If you have a 1.2 percent increase in cloud
formation and precipitation, it offsets a 100 percent increase of
CO2 in the atmosphere."

Gosh, Burt Rutan is climate genius, too!

So which of his numbers is wrong?

Which of his numbers is relevant?

I thought they were all relevant. Warmer air holds more moisture, therefore
presumably more cloud formation and precipitation might occur.

The odd thing is, if cloud formation and precipitation increase to
"offset" an increase in CO2, I expect it would happen precisely because the
atmosphere _had_ warmed. So his numbers are "merely" useful in determining
the equilibrium point that the atmosphere might warm to - not that no
warming would take place or that it isn't a concern.

He knows more than the scientists. Impressive!

"Locus ab auctoritate est infirmissimus"

I would say the argument from cluelessness is weakest.

Rutan charged that climate scientists have it wrong, setting himself
as a superior authority. Is he?

Why not comment respectfully on his alleged facts and line of argument
rather than do the online equivalent of sneering?

I don't agree with Rutan, but I'm not a climate scientist either. Are you?