Tailwheel endorsement

Old December 9th 03, 04:28 PM
Robert M. Gary

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..
Well, I am not looking to the side when I land the Cub (Super Cub,
Husky, Great Lakes). Seems to me it's done with peripheral vision.

Of course, the fields in New England are mostly bordered by pine
trees. I admit this was much more of a challenge when I had to do it
in Arizona (Super Cub, Great Lakes). But I still don't think I
actually turned my head and looked to the side.

Your right, and perhaps I didn't describe it correctly. In the J-3
(the Super Cub is different because you are in the front seat) I
"crane" my head to the side but look forward around the cylinders on
the side. So I'm looking forward, but my head to hanging around the
side.
Old December 9th 03, 01:14 PM
EDR

In article , Big John
wrote:

EDR
How do you think we landed the PT-19, T-6, P-51, etc.,etc.? You went
blind as soon as you pulled nose up on landing.

I was taught and use my peripheral vision (the equal triangle method)
to maintain directional control. I don't look out the side until I
begin S-turning.
Old December 9th 03, 04:02 AM
Robert M. Gary

EDR wrote in message ...
In article , Robert M.
Gary wrote:

The D is very nice in that you can land it by looking out over the
cowl (like in a 172), you don't need to hang your head around the side
of the plane and look around the side of the cowl.

I certainly hope you are not teaching your students to look to one side
when full stall/three point landing a taildragger.

I find that being able to see the ground is helpful. Have you ever
flown a J-3, Stearman, etc...?

-Robert
Old December 9th 03, 10:40 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Robert M.
Gary wrote:
I certainly hope you are not teaching your students to look to one side
when full stall/three point landing a taildragger.

I find that being able to see the ground is helpful. Have you ever
flown a J-3, Stearman, etc...?

You don't have to look to one side to see the ground unless you have
a medical condition that stops your peripheral vision from working.

The taildragger I'm flying now is an Auster 5J1 (with 160hp engine) and
you can't see over the cowling on the ground (you need to S-turn when
taxiing). I don't move my head or look sideways when landing it -
peripheral vision is more than adequate to judge the flare and landing
(with the shape of the cowling, I'm not sure moving your head would do
any good anyway).

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old December 9th 03, 10:57 AM
John Harper

I just posted my writeup of getting the endorsement. It's at:

www.john-a-harper.com/flying/tailwheel.htm

John

Old December 9th 03, 02:32 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Dylan Smith wrote:

You don't have to look to one side to see the ground unless you have
a medical condition that stops your peripheral vision from working.

I do. It's called myopia. Blind as a bat outside the frame of my glasses.

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".
Old December 9th 03, 04:30 PM
Robert M. Gary

Dylan Smith wrote in message ...

You don't have to look to one side to see the ground unless you have
a medical condition that stops your peripheral vision from working.

I like to see what is in front of my (at least on that one side). I
also usually land to the side of the center line.
Old December 9th 03, 04:03 PM
Corky Scott

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 10:40:32 -0000, Dylan Smith
wrote:

In article , Robert M.
Gary wrote:
I certainly hope you are not teaching your students to look to one side
when full stall/three point landing a taildragger.

I find that being able to see the ground is helpful. Have you ever
flown a J-3, Stearman, etc...?

You don't have to look to one side to see the ground unless you have
a medical condition that stops your peripheral vision from working.

Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

I have some stick time in a Waco UPF-7, which I've flown from the
front seat only. My experience is that once the airplane flares, not
only do you not see the ground or runway anymore, you don't even see
the airport.

The round engine up front wipes out any forward vision and the wing
below masks nearly the entire airport. The only way to see would be
to hang your head out the cockpit, but I'm not allowed to do that
because the owner behind me needs to have my head out of the way to
see.

Corky Scott

Old December 9th 03, 02:29 PM
G.R. Patterson III

EDR wrote:

I certainly hope you are not teaching your students to look to one side
when full stall/three point landing a taildragger.

Many of them can't be landed any other way.

Old December 9th 03, 09:18 PM
Jim

Congrats! I've been working on my TW endorsement in a SuperCub and the only
thing left to work on is crosswinds. We've been waiting for some decent but
not insane crosswinds here lately and so far it's been either nothing or
20-40. But man what a blast!!! Went up Sunday and practiced wheel
landings, first one I botched bad and learned why not to try to save it, add
power and go around ! Second and third ones I nailed. Then it was on to
short and soft field TO/L's, the SuperCub goes up like an elevator! So far
I've got 7 1/2 hours and 34 TO/L's.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Tailwheel ID R. Mueller Aviation Marketplace 2 February 5th 08 10:25 PM
Tailwheel question Steve B Aerobatics 4 January 30th 04 03:35 AM
Advice on flying Pitts with Haigh Locking Tailwheel Ditch Home Built 19 January 4th 04 10:18 PM
Tailwheel tires Dan Thomas Piloting 10 November 26th 03 02:53 PM
homebuilt tailwheel Del Rawlins Home Built 7 November 9th 03 02:34 AM