Monitoring Oxygen Uptake

Old June 15th 05, 05:13 PM
Eric Greenwell

Bill Daniels wrote:
"soarski" wrote in message
oups.com...

On the other Hand ........I live and take off at 8000 ft. now also
going on OX at 14000 ft, used to fly without, at higher altitudes. The
Rules, 12500 and 14000 ft are a good measure and most likely have some
margin built in.

As near as I can determine, these altitudes were determined during WWII
using very fit 18 year olds. Out of shape geezers should lower them
considerably. Being in the later category, I set the EDS to start O2 flow
at ground level especially with difficult to handle expensive gliders. With
the EDS consumption isn't a problem.

I recently got an oximeter, and was surprised to see my saturation drop
to 90 and lower above 11,000'. I now set my EDS for ground level
actuation, and put it on at 10,000'. Even with that, it will stay in the
93-94% range, unless I breathe a little more deeply than I tend to. That
will push it up to 97-98%. Oxygen is cheap, and very little is used in
the 10K to 12K range anyway.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old June 16th 05, 06:38 AM
Andy Blackburn

At 03:12 14 June 2005, Kilo Charlie wrote:
The only way to assure yourself of adequate oxygen
delivery to your body is
to use a pulse oximeter as OC has pointed out.

I highly recommend a pulse oximeter. I wore one in
the wave last week to check out my EDS system. I had
the EDS set to the standard O2 delivery starting at
10k. At 18k I put on the oximeter - it read 79% under
normal nasal breathing. With accelerated breathing
I could get it up to 89%.

This week I tried the F15 setting (extra O2 volume).
I went from 84% to 92% in about a minute at 16k.

Under none of these flights did I notice anything unusual
in my perceptions or performance - but then again you're
not supposed to.

9B