Houston to S. America, HF Radio?

Old July 23rd 03, 01:38 AM
Tom M

Default Houston to S. America, HF Radio?

Can anyone tell me if airliners typically use HF radio on this route?

It cuts close to land at the Yucatan, but not sure how the ATC is
done. VHF or HF in the remote part of the route?

Thanks
Tom
Old July 23rd 03, 02:22 PM
Steve House

Can't say for sure but I'm an SWL and there's an awful lot of activity on
the HF frequencies from aircraft enroute over the Carribean and Gulf of
Mexico.

om...

Old July 24th 03, 02:01 AM
Mike Culver

I've flown to Uruguay twice on United, and regularly listen to Channel
9 (cockpit communications). All VHF, as far as I can tell. (And when I
fly to Europe, they pipe HF onto Channel 9)

Old July 25th 03, 02:22 AM
Newps

I have a friend who flies 767's for Continental to Europe. They have
HF's but they only use them as they just go out over the ocean to test
and make sure they work. Otherwise all other communication with ATC is
via satellite. They check in at least one an hour via basically email
thru the satellite. If they want altitude changes it is also only an
email away.

Tom M wrote:
I spoke with the Continental captain while we were getting our shoes
examined in Caracas.

He said they have HF on the 737-700, but don't use it as they have VHF
all the way.

Tom

Old July 25th 03, 07:56 PM
Capt. Doug

Tom M wrote in message Can anyone tell me if airliners typically use HF
radio on this route?

There is good VHF coverage over the Gulf in the flight levels. Low level
aircraft will typically relay position reports to overflying aircraft.
Nearing the Yucatan, the VHF coverage is comparable to service in the US.
The only times I used HF over the Caribbean were for sending company
messages and for setting my watch.

D.

God Honest Naval Aviation 2 July 24th 03 04:45 AM
Ham Radio In The Airplane Cy Galley Owning 23 July 8th 03 03:30 AM