Avier/ Winpilot 12 Problem- Again

Old July 26th 13, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Avier/ Winpilot 12 Problem- Again

Flew on Thursday and I didn't change anything since last Sunday's flight where everything worked great. I tried the same set-up yesterday and nothing worked. I kept getting a message that said it wasn't reading the vario data and then it couldn't read the GPS. Just locked up. I give up. Back to the old cable, Compaq PDA and Winpilot 13.01.
Old July 28th 13, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, July 26, 2013 3:40:47 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Flew on Thursday and I didn't change anything since last Sunday's flight where everything worked great. I tried the same set-up yesterday and nothing worked. I kept getting a message that said it wasn't reading the vario data and then it couldn't read the GPS. Just locked up. I give up. Back to the old cable, Compaq PDA and Winpilot 13.01.

Jerry has given up on his customer base and refuses to fix the known problems or even respond to emails. You should be giving up on WinPilot, not Avier.

Frank (TA)
Old July 28th 13, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Friday, July 26, 2013 12:40:47 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Flew on Thursday and I didn't change anything since last Sunday's flight where everything worked great. I tried the same set-up yesterday and nothing worked. I kept getting a message that said it wasn't reading the vario data and then it couldn't read the GPS. Just locked up. I give up. Back to the old cable, Compaq PDA and Winpilot 13.01.

Are you running the WinPilot "Avier" version (latest)?
I am using this version now with the CAI 302 for some time without any issues.
I would seriously check for hardware related problems (connections, cables etc)
If you have an other program installed ( SYM, XCSoar etc) does it work with your setup?
I too experienced similar problems before, once sorted through all is working ok.6PK
One
Old July 28th 13, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, July 26, 2013 3:40:47 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Flew on Thursday and I didn't change anything since last Sunday's flight where everything worked great. I tried the same set-up yesterday and nothing worked. I kept getting a message that said it wasn't reading the vario data and then it couldn't read the GPS. Just locked up. I give up. Back to the old cable, Compaq PDA and Winpilot 13.01.

I am running Winpilot 12.5 for Avier downloaded on 5/30/13.

Old July 28th 13, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 11:33:16 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, July 26, 2013 3:40:47 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Flew on Thursday and I didn't change anything since last Sunday's flight where everything worked great. I tried the same set-up yesterday and nothing worked. I kept getting a message that said it wasn't reading the vario data and then it couldn't read the GPS. Just locked up. I give up. Back to the old cable, Compaq PDA and Winpilot 13.01.

I am running Winpilot 12.5 for Avier downloaded on 5/30/13.

That is the right one. I would say you have a hardware issue. 6PK
Old July 28th 13, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Friday, July 26, 2013 1:40:47 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Flew on Thursday and I didn't change anything since last Sunday's flight where everything worked great. I tried the same set-up yesterday and nothing worked. I kept getting a message that said it wasn't reading the vario data and then it couldn't read the GPS. Just locked up. I give up. Back to the old cable, Compaq PDA and Winpilot 13.01.

My setup is a CAI 302/303 connected to a V2 PNA running Winpilot PRO. I have been running this setup for awhile and have no problems. It communicates fine with the CAI GPS/wind information. I only have the programs/files I use, not anymore, loaded on the PNA. My storage card is used only for transfer of files, otherwise, its empty.
I have the brightness clicked down a few bars as the processor seems to run cooler and I also see no difference in brightness. It appears in this configuration I use less battery when compared to my IPAQ 3955. My IPAQ would lock up when I tried to fill its memory to the max. After that happened, I only used programs/files as I needed. Then I had no more problems.
The highest temp. that the V2 has been running in was when I was @ Hobbs for the 15 Meter Nationals. I had it baking in hot direct sunlight, running for 30 plus minutes, while waiting for launch. I would estimate my cockpit temp at the time was well north of 110 degrees F. I had no problems.
I might suggest to try to lower the brightness by a few bars and then only use the programs/files you really need for the area your in. Also, try removing/reinstalling Winpilot PRO again. Also, try removing the storage card and see if the problem goes away.

Best, #711.

Old July 29th 13, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 1:02:18 PM UTC-7, Tom Kelley #711 wrote:
[...]

I am running 12.5 on the Avier with a Butterfly vario. No problems except a couple of times after flying for several hours it has quit to the Today screen. It seems quite hot at that time - I will try setting the brightness down a few notches.

If you are having com problems you will most likely also have them with XCSoar, SYM, LK8000, or even a terminal emulator. That is the first place I would start. Make sure the com is working, then look elsewhere.
Old July 30th 13, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, July 26, 2013 3:40:47 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Flew on Thursday and I didn't change anything since last Sunday's flight where everything worked great. I tried the same set-up yesterday and nothing worked. I kept getting a message that said it wasn't reading the vario data and then it couldn't read the GPS. Just locked up. I give up. Back to the old cable, Compaq PDA and Winpilot 13.01.

I'll try the changing the brightness (Backlight) setting, removing/replacing the memory card and removing and replacing Winpilot Pro. Thanks for your suggestions and help.

Chuck Zabinski
Old July 31st 13, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Friday, July 26, 2013 1:40:47 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Flew on Thursday and I didn't change anything since last Sunday's flight where everything worked great. I tried the same set-up yesterday and nothing worked. I kept getting a message that said it wasn't reading the vario data and then it couldn't read the GPS. Just locked up. I give up. Back to the old cable, Compaq PDA and Winpilot 13.01.

Chuck,

I went to the airport today and tried to run WinPilot PRO for PNA's off my storage card. It gave me the same window as you had seen about not being able to read the Vario.
I then removed my storage card and then opened Winpilot PRO as it is installed on the PNA. It opened without any problems. I flew for over 2 hours and had no problem and then after landing let it run for another hour as the ramp temp was well over 100 degrees.

At 15 thousand feet, today, it also ran just fine in the nice cool air.....ahhhhhh. Also, it ran fine when I penetrated a thunderstorm line with lighting and thunder along with some very heavy rain.

If I am recalling correctly, I do believe it needs to be installed on the PNA and NOT run from the storage card. I also believe since I was the first one to run WinPilot PRO for PNA's, that many changes have taken place as the first early version is much smaller in size than the current version.

DISCLAIMERI am retired and not employed by any vendor for anything. PERIOD.

Best regards, #711.
Old July 31st 13, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Kovari

My set up runs from the storage card just fine.
I wonder if you have it both intalled on the PNA and the micro sd card confuses things?
Hmmm?

Avier with LK8000 Guy B Soaring 5 July 23rd 13 11:04 AM
Avier/V2 Running WinPilot 12 Problem [email protected] Soaring 11 July 22nd 13 11:06 PM
Odd WinPilot Problem PC[_2_] Soaring 3 January 15th 08 11:16 PM
WinPilot Offers Free WinPilot XP for your Desktop Computer Richard Pfiffner Soaring 0 November 8th 03 04:44 PM
Problem: Ground Speed Estimate with Volkslogger and WinPilot RamyYanetz Soaring 3 August 26th 03 03:06 PM