Clapped-out trainers, wildfires, and which complex?

Old November 25th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
xxx

Default Clapped-out trainers, wildfires, and which complex?

I had planned a full moon flight up the coast last night, which had to
be canceled (and not for the first time) due to wildfires and TFR's en
route. For some odd reason they don't want bugsmashers trundling
through the water bombers.

OK, sez I, I'll just fly some patterns.

The first Cessna I tried, the one that doesn't shake like a wet dog on
takeoff roll, decided to take a hiatus from flying by eating its
starter clutch. I found that out after pulling it out to the taxiway.

OK, sez I, I'll take one of the ones that does shake like a wet dog.

So it shook like a wet dog but did eventually get airborne.
Unfortunately for doing pattern work, the PTT talk switch decided not
to work consistently, leading to some rather sharp calls from the
tower.

Basta ya. I think I'll try one of the retractables. They get a lot
less use and appear to be in better shape.

My choices seem to be a C-172RG, an Arrow or an old, old Mooney M-20.
Any opinions as to which would be the best choice for complex training
(I have no hours in anything with either a constant-speed prop or
retractable gear) followed by casual recreational flying?
Old November 26th 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"xxx" wrote

My choices seem to be a C-172RG, an Arrow or an old, old Mooney M-20.
Any opinions as to which would be the best choice for complex training
(I have no hours in anything with either a constant-speed prop or
retractable gear) followed by casual recreational flying?

Depends if you want to smash bugs, or really go somewhere.

I vote for the Mooney, if it isn't too clapped out, and you want to go
somewhere!

Of course, these days, fuel burn has to be considered in there, somewhere.

But I have to admit, I do like backwards tails! g
--
Jim in NC

Old November 26th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

A carefully flown Mooney will do better MPG than the other two!

On the other hand, the sight pictures you're used to are going to
change. You know those nice high finals? No more of those, speed
control and glide angle really really matter in the Mooney. Come in a
little fast and you are going to be in ground effect so long you'll
need a calendar, not a clock.

The controls are push rod actuated -- you'll enjoy how responsive the
M20 is.

And the tail is on backwards, that's the way Mooney owners like them!

Do you sense a bias here?

"xxx" wrote