F15E/1941

Old June 5th 04, 03:24 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , "Pete"
wrote:

"Tuollaf43" wrote

Where you are promptly arrested and shipped stateside on charges of
impersonating an officer of the US armed forces and for conducting an
unauthorised attack on a friendly nation(Japan wasnt at war at the
time you stuck the carriers) in an UFO with USAF markings. At the end
of the day you receive a letter of reprimend from FDR for wreaking his
awesome 'day of infamy' and 'unprovoked attack' speech he was
preparing for so long, for just such a day. You go down in history as
the mysterious madman who triggered war in the pacific by attacking
the peaceful, friendly japanese fleet who had been conducting freedom
of navigation excersices in the vicinity.

With 20/20 hindsight, and the means to preventor seriously inhibit the
war
in the Pacific, I think that's a reprimand I'd take.

Again, with 20/20 hindsight, if you could shoot (name your favorite
dictator), knowing it would land you in jail, but but also knowing it
would
prevent X thousand or million deaths, would you do it? I'd like to think
would.

One of my mentors took his doctorate in Germany. He told me that in, oh,
1937 or so, he was presented to Hitler. While he was an academic, he
was also a wrestler, and felt he could have done great damage -- if he
had only known.

I remember watching him shake over the memory, and the only words I
could offer him were that he couldn't have known -- and wrestling
doesn't give you the skill to kill someone in seconds.
Old June 5th 04, 11:38 AM
Paul F Austin

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote
One of my mentors took his doctorate in Germany. He told me that in, oh,
1937 or so, he was presented to Hitler. While he was an academic, he
was also a wrestler, and felt he could have done great damage -- if he
had only known.

I remember watching him shake over the memory, and the only words I
could offer him were that he couldn't have known -- and wrestling
doesn't give you the skill to kill someone in seconds.

Please don't take this as a jab at your mentor but did he talk about why he
and others "didn't know"? After all, Kristalnacht for example was four years
in the past at that point.

Old June 5th 04, 12:46 PM
Fe

In article , Paul F Austin wrote:

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote
One of my mentors took his doctorate in Germany. He told me that in, oh,
1937 or so, he was presented to Hitler. While he was an academic, he
was also a wrestler, and felt he could have done great damage -- if he
had only known.

I remember watching him shake over the memory, and the only words I
could offer him were that he couldn't have known -- and wrestling
doesn't give you the skill to kill someone in seconds.

Please don't take this as a jab at your mentor but did he talk about why he
and others "didn't know"? After all, Kristalnacht for example was four years
in the past at that point.

I thought it was in 1938.

Old June 5th 04, 04:34 PM
Paul F Austin

"Fe"wrote
Paul F Austin wrote:

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote
One of my mentors took his doctorate in Germany. He told me that in,

oh,
1937 or so, he was presented to Hitler. While he was an academic, he
was also a wrestler, and felt he could have done great damage -- if he
had only known.

I remember watching him shake over the memory, and the only words I
could offer him were that he couldn't have known -- and wrestling
doesn't give you the skill to kill someone in seconds.

Please don't take this as a jab at your mentor but did he talk about why

he
and others "didn't know"? After all, Kristalnacht for example was four

years
in the past at that point.

I thought it was in 1938.

Sorry, you're right. The anti-Jewish laws and policies started in 1933.

Old June 5th 04, 06:57 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , "Paul F
Austin" wrote:

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote
One of my mentors took his doctorate in Germany. He told me that in,
oh,
1937 or so, he was presented to Hitler. While he was an academic, he
was also a wrestler, and felt he could have done great damage -- if he
had only known.

I remember watching him shake over the memory, and the only words I
could offer him were that he couldn't have known -- and wrestling
doesn't give you the skill to kill someone in seconds.

Please don't take this as a jab at your mentor but did he talk about why
he
and others "didn't know"? After all, Kristalnacht for example was four
years
in the past at that point.

You may be thinking of the "Night of the Long Knives," the 1934 purge of
the SA and other inconvenient sorts. Kristallnacht was in 1938.

I can't say I would have seen that as more than thuggery and lack of
central control. Given the information I had at the time, would I have
sacrificed myself -- for certainly that would happen -- to kill someone
whose monstrosity was not yet well known?

Remember that one of the issues of the SA purge was that they were
running internment camps independently of the SS, police, etc. While the
"euthanasia program" certainly preceded the Final Solution, the latter
was formalized at the Wannsee Conference in 1942.