Southwest trip advice

Old April 5th 05, 12:04 AM
Blanche

And learn to lean. When you've never had to deal with leaning, it
can easily come as a surprise. Most of my training was/is in Colorado.
When I went to Phoenix for a few weeks on business, I took some lessons.
I immediately reached for the mixture to lean and was told "we don't
need to do that here". Hm.

One of these days I'll get to fly at sea level and find out just how
good my 180 hp aircraft flies...

Old April 5th 05, 12:28 PM
Cub Driver

On 4 Apr 2005 06:20:21 -0700, "klm" wrote:

If I could find a mountain course in the Northeast I would definitely
do it before I go

Andover Flight Academy in NJ does bush pilot training, and part of
that is mountain flying. Damian is a marvel, and he has got terrain
that will simulate canyon flying.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
Old April 5th 05, 07:08 PM
Rob

Paul kgyy wrote:
Without special training, I'd avoid a direct route to
Denver from Arizona.

I'm with Paul on this one. Re-tracing your steps along I-40 to
Albuquerque and I-25 north to Denver and crossing the Rockies between
Albuquerque and Santa Fe offers lots of airports with services, lower
terrain, and a long ribbon of asphalt should you need it. A more
direct route through the Four Corners area will provide absolutely
gorgeous scenery, but there's just not as much civilization out there
and you'll have to cross the Rockies in a much more challenging manner.

Know how to calculate density altitude. Sometimes it's given to you on
AWOS at high elevation airports, but it isn't always. I use my own
"rule of thumb" calculation: pressure altitude plus 125 feet per degree
C above standard temperature, and don't forget that the "standard"
temperature at elevations found in Colorado is really damn cold. Know
how much runway the book says you'll need at a given weight and D. A.,
and use a good sized fudge factor. I shoot for at least 100% more
runway than the book says. Use your best short field technique and
remember that the nose will be a lot lower for a given indicated
airspeed. If the book says your best rate of climb is 72, use 72
indicated even if the nose seems level. If the book suggests you might
not make it, DON'T TRY! It'll be cooler early in the morning. To
avoid turbulence, try to stay upwind of the many giant chunks of
granite you'll encounter - picture in your mind the laminar flow
upstream and the turbulent flow downstream of rocks in a river of
water. Do the things you were trained to do when you got your
certificate, and have a ball. Take lots of pictures.

-R

Old April 6th 05, 12:19 AM

Thanks for all the input... lots of good advice. I think what I'm
going to do is hit Denver first, then fly up to Ft Collins and get a
day of mountain flying with a guy named Jer - comes highly
recommended. Then we'll fly the I25, I40 route over to the Canyon and
probably retrace our way back.

Thanks again..
Old April 6th 05, 01:40 PM

Good response and I hope others note it as well.
Ol S&B

Old April 6th 05, 01:40 PM