VFR into IMC and almost into terrain - on video

Old October 21st 09, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default VFR into IMC and almost into terrain - on video

I wonder if the feds will or can use this video as evidence against the
pilot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nm8pNgqBAk
Old October 21st 09, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Jim Logajan wrote:
I wonder if the feds will or can use this video as evidence against the
pilot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nm8pNgqBAk

Just read through the comments on the video - the video poster says an FAA
investigation or case is indeed in progress.
Old October 21st 09, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Jim Logajan wrote:
I wonder if the feds will or can use this video as evidence against the
pilot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nm8pNgqBAk

Was that laughing at the end? I would not be laughing. How stupid.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old October 21st 09, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article ,
Jim Logajan wrote:

I wonder if the feds will or can use this video as evidence against the
pilot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nm8pNgqBAk

That'll put hair on your chest! Talk about lucky to be alive....

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old October 21st 09, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article ,
Ross wrote:

Jim Logajan wrote:
I wonder if the feds will or can use this video as evidence against the
pilot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nm8pNgqBAk

Was that laughing at the end? I would not be laughing. How stupid.

Laughter is a perfectly normal human response to surviving danger. It
doesn't say anything bad about them, or that they don't also take it
seriously.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old October 21st 09, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
I wonder if the feds will or can use this video as evidence against the
pilot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nm8pNgqBAk

HOLY CRAP! That is an amazing piece of video there.

Old October 21st 09, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Ross wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
I wonder if the feds will or can use this video as evidence against the
pilot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nm8pNgqBAk

Was that laughing at the end? I would not be laughing. How stupid.

Not stupid - reading through the comments posted below the video, you'd
find this exchange:

"I trust the laughing at the end was showing joy in being alive, rather
than thinking the whole thing was a merry jape?"

"You'd be exactly right in that assumption. We knew full well just how
fortunate we were to be alive. What you hear is nervous laughter because we
weren't sure how to deal with it otherwise."

and:

"For days afterwards I wasn't right.. I just couldn't comprehend how we
didn't die. It was like I was listening to myself talking to people in
disbelief that I was actually alive. In the raw footage, after it shows my
friend's reaction he turns the camera on his lap sideways and it shows me
curling up and bracing for impact. I haven't lost trust in pilots but there
is no chance of me flying in a small plane unless weather conditions are
perfect and the pilot knows how to not rely fully on gps."
Old October 21st 09, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote:
"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
I wonder if the feds will or can use this video as evidence against the
pilot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nm8pNgqBAk

HOLY CRAP! That is an amazing piece of video there.

Controlled flight into terrain isn't (alas) uncommon - but videos of close
calls like that do appear to be unusual.

I once searched the NTSB database for helicopter accidents having 2 or more
fatalities over a few years time and saw that a depressingly large fraction
appeareed to be due to emergency medical helicopters flying into terrain at
night or VFR into IMC.
Old October 22nd 09, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote:

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
I wonder if the feds will or can use this video as evidence against the
pilot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nm8pNgqBAk

HOLY CRAP! That is an amazing piece of video there.

I would file that under "Stupid Pilot Tricks."

BTW: What happened to the L-39 that started out in formation with them?
He was on the left, so he should have gotten a front-row seat to the
action.

Old October 22nd 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Oct 21, 10:57*pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article ,

*"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote:
"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
. ..
I wonder if the feds will or can use this video as evidence against the
pilot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nm8pNgqBAk

HOLY CRAP! That is an amazing piece of video there.

I would file that under "Stupid Pilot Tricks."

BTW: What happened to the L-39 that started out in formation with them?
He was on the left, so he should have gotten a front-row seat to the
action.

--
Remove _'s *from email address to talk to me.

I doubt there were two pilots stupid enough to be formation flying in
the soup! Does anyone know if the L 39 was IFR?

There's another strange thing about the video -- if you watch the
pilot when he's lost visual reference, he 'presents' as calm as any of
us rated on instruments might be in the clouds. He clearly was not
looking left for the L 39. Wouldn't you think most guys flying that
equipment would be rated for instruments and simply know better than
to do that?

Often the threads here have to do with marginal improvements in safe
flying: fine tuning for guys who are already pretty safe pilots. It
scares me to know there are clowns like this guy sharing our airspace.
Controlled flight into the ground harms him and his pax -- he could
also wander onto my airway. I want him out of my sky!