Pitot Heat

Old April 16th 05, 12:17 AM
Bob Gardner

The 1956(?) Cessna 175 I once owned had pitot heat, but I can't deny that
you are right. I wonder how many questions posed in the newsgroups would be
answered differently if we took into account the totality of GA history. I
know that there are a lot of CAR 3 airplanes still flying in the GA fleet,
but I have a habit of answering questions based on more recent standards.

Bob

"Bill Zaleski" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:13:57 -0700, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

FAR 23.1323(d) tells manufacturers that if IFR certification is requested,
pitot heat is required. Check your AFM to see if the plane is certificated
for IFR and you have your answer....if it is "yes," the airplane is not
airworthy without it.

Bob Gardner

"Lakeview Bill" wrote in message
. com...
How necessary would it be to have a pitot heater if you are flying
year-round VFR day (only) in the Chicago area?

Many small single engine aircraft are IFR capable and airworthy, but
were never built with pitot heat. The early PA 28-140 and Cessna 175
didn't even have a pitot head, let alone heat. Just an end of an
aluminum tube end pointing forward. Still legal per the original
drawings. CAR 3 certification basis, Bob, not Part 23.

Old April 16th 05, 12:29 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message

The 1956(?) Cessna 175 I once owned had pitot heat, but I can't deny that
you are right.

The Cessna 175 was produced from 1958 to 1962.

Old April 16th 05, 01:49 AM
BTIZ

it would have helped if the original poster had mentioned the yr/make/model
of the aircraft..
I agree that Bob's first answer was correct... check the certification.. and
go by that..

BT

Old April 16th 05, 02:06 AM
Bob Gardner

It's been a long time since I owned it in the late 60s and I no longer have
any records, thus the question mark.

Bob

ink.net...

Old April 16th 05, 03:17 PM
Lakeview Bill

Actually, my question was intended to be a "generic" question.

I am looking at several different Light Sport Aircraft, and none of the
specs mention Pitot Heat, either as a standard item or as an option.

I'm not tied to a desk, so, if the planets and stars all align, I will be in
a situation where I can be sitting in my living room, decide to "go", and be
in the air in about an hour.

But given that I am in Chicago, I'm trying to determine the absolute
necessity of pitot heat, as, since I will only have a Sport Pilot ticket, I
will be restricted to VFR day only.

I'm already planning to spend the extra $$$ to get carb heat, which is an
option on most of the a/c I'm looking at, and now I'm looking at pitot heat.

Thanks to everyone who's already replied...

Old April 16th 05, 05:00 PM
Cub Driver

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 14:17:41 GMT, "Lakeview Bill"
wrote:

But given that I am in Chicago, I'm trying to determine the absolute
necessity of pitot heat, as, since I will only have a Sport Pilot ticket, I
will be restricted to VFR day only.

Well, I have never flown an airplane with pitot heat, nor can I
imagine much utility for it in a Light Sport Aircraft.

When I took my first lesson, I complained to the instructor that his
shoulders were blocking my view of the instruments (tandem Cub),
whereupon he covered them with his hands and said: "You don't need
this XXXX! Fly with what's outside the airplane!"

Well, I do like to see the airspeed indicator, but I am absolutely
sure that I could safely land the airplane without it.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old April 17th 05, 02:53 AM
Mike W.

If there was 1/4" to 3/8" ice on my airplane, a plugged pitot tube is not my
only problem.

--
Hello, my name is Mike, and I am an airplane addict....

I'll vote "very necessary." Once at the Naval Nuclear Power Preparatory
School, in North Chicago, there was ice on my windshield so thick I
broke the tip off my Herter's sheath knife trying to get it off the
windshield of my car. About 1/4" to 3/8" thick. And that was during the
day in VFR conditions.

John Lowry
Flight Physics

Old April 17th 05, 02:56 AM
Mike W.

Good decision, I would consider carb heat a necessity on any aircraft.

The only reason you might consider adding the pitot heat would be resale
value of the plane later on, might make it a little more appealing to a
buyer.

Old April 17th 05, 03:54 AM
john smith

In the Champ, I can see the reflection of the airspeed and altimeter in
the side windows (mirror image).

Old April 17th 05, 05:38 AM
Newps

I'll vote "very necessary." Once at the Naval Nuclear Power Preparatory
School, in North Chicago, there was ice on my windshield so thick I
broke the tip off my Herter's sheath knife trying to get it off the
windshield of my car. About 1/4" to 3/8" thick. And that was during the
day in VFR conditions.

One freak time 35 years ago, on a car no less, and that qualifies as
very necessary? Remove head from ass.

28 volt pitot heat B2431 Home Built 15 April 17th 04 03:25 PM
pitot heat question K. Ari Krupnikov Instrument Flight Rules 7 December 11th 03 02:51 AM
Pitot heat Paul Mennen Owning 10 November 6th 03 10:54 AM
Pitot heat Paul Mennen Piloting 10 November 6th 03 10:54 AM
Pitot Heat Roger Long Piloting 12 November 6th 03 03:01 AM