Multiengine Rating

Old January 15th 07, 09:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default Multiengine Rating

"RomeoMike" wrote

That was the PA 23-180, "Geronimo" conversion. I got my multi in one of
those
and later had a real engine out experience (right one) on a cross country
with my family.
Fortunately, we were not in the mountains.

What was the approximate single engine service ceiling? (if that is the
right way to say it for multis)
--
Jim in NC

Old January 15th 07, 12:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

Oh man, this is such a nice pitch, right down the middle, so very easy
to hit out of the park.

Or is it bait?

Looks like bait.

Smells like bait.

Trolls like bait.

On Jan 15, 3:39 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Mortimer Schnerd, RN writes:
We did most of the training in a multi sim, then went for a couple
of flights in a Seminole.Why waste time in a sim? It has nothing to do with real flying. I

know this because experts here have told me so.

Old January 15th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Mxsmanic wrote:

Why waste time in a sim? It has nothing to do with real flying. I
know this because experts here have told me so.

Then you haven't been paying attention, my flightless friend : )

(you were right, Tony...)

Old January 15th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Jim Macklin wrote:
For those who do not know, the BE58TC is a Beech Baron with
the wings and engines of a 58P but the fuselage of the
straight 58. It has the 6200 pound gross weight and weights
400 pounds less than the 58P. So it carries 400 pounds more
payload and performs very well in the 10-12,000 foot range
without demanding the pilot be on oxygen.

But I'd really like a Duchess on floats with 200-220 hp
engines.

Duchess? Floats? cocks head Uuuhhhhh???

IIRC the real speedster of the Baron family was the BE56TC with the
380hp Lycs... although I'm not sure if the 58P might have been a few
ka-nots faster at altitude though.

Old January 15th 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim[_11_]

That's the correct phraseology. Loose an engine and you'll descend to the
single engine service ceiling (density altitude). The Aztec is 6000 ft.
Plenty of MEA's out west that are higher than that.
Jim

Old January 15th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim[_11_]

Takeoffs and landings in the Aztec are simply fun. If you don't care
whether or not you can see out the windscreen, just rotate at 80mph, hold
100mph, and it will climb like you say, a scalded cat. Landings can be just
as steep, it will land on any spot you can see over the nose. Hold 85mph
all the way down to 30ft above the deck then ad a short burst of power to
arrest your decent as you level off, you can have it stopped in 500 ft easy.

Jim

Old January 15th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS[_2_]

"Jim" wrote

That's the correct phraseology. Loose an engine and you'll descend to the
single engine service ceiling (density altitude). The Aztec is 6000 ft.
Plenty of MEA's out west that are higher than that.

Since this is usenet and nitpicking is all the rage... the above is not
quite correct. Service ceiling is the altitude at which you can no longer
climb faster than something like 100 fpm. If you're above the service
ceiling when you lose the engine you will probably be able to maintain
something somewhat higher, like maybe 6005 feet...

BDS

Old January 15th 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim[_11_]

Ahh... your nit is picked correctly Absolute single engine ceiling would
be more correct.

Another nit would be that those numbers are created by test pilots and then
"altered" by salesman. For instance the service ceiling for the Aztec is
around 15,000 feet... yeah right! I've had ours up to 13,000 at full gross,
and I tell you I had to step climb to get up that last 1000 feet, and it was
at no where near 100 fpm.
Jim

"BDS" wrote in message
t...

"Jim" wrote

Old January 15th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RomeoMike

Morgans wrote:

What was the approximate single engine service ceiling? (if that is the
right way to say it for multis)

I don't remember exactly, but something like 5000 ft. for the Geronimo
comes to mind. I have a copy of a copy of the POH, so the altitude
performance chart is unreadable. I aways figured I could fly on one
engine in low elevation areas, but in the mountainous west, particularly
on a non-standard day, forget it.
Old January 15th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

RomeoMike wrote:
I don't remember exactly, but something like 5000 ft. for the Geronimo
comes to mind. I have a copy of a copy of the POH, so the altitude
performance chart is unreadable. I aways figured I could fly on one
engine in low elevation areas, but in the mountainous west, particularly
on a non-standard day, forget it.

I can't remember either, mainly because I never had to worry about it. As a
flatland pilot, I was more concerned with the PITA hand pumping of the gear and
the flaps if I lost the critical engine (which I think was the right one... it's
been 16 years since I flew one). Pretty much any altitude at all would be
enough to stay clear of obstacles on the routes I flew.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com