Pawnee question

Old May 2nd 11, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

Default Pawnee question

The local towplane operation has a Pawnee that back in 1996 had an STC
from STC Inc. (SA01154AT) modification to the wing attach cluster.
Apparently it still requires a wings off inspection every two years.
The owner of the operation has heard that there may be an inexpensive
permanent fix that eliminates the biennial inspection. Perhaps a gusset
plate welded onto the cluster. Is anyone familiar with that procedure?

Old May 4th 11, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On May 2, 7:40*am, Greg Arnold wrote:
The local towplane operation has a Pawnee that back in 1996 had an STC
from STC Inc. (SA01154AT) modification to the wing attach cluster.
Apparently it still requires a wings off inspection every two years.
The owner of the operation has heard that there may be an inexpensive
permanent fix that eliminates the biennial inspection. *Perhaps a gusset
plate welded onto the cluster. Is anyone familiar with that procedure?

Our wing attach cluster STC repair came from Schweizer and requires
annual inspections, but only the wing removal and dye check ever 6
years. It's not that hard to remove Pawnee wings if you have a hanger
and an engine hoist.

You can research STCs on FAA.gov.
Old May 4th 11, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On May 3, 6:05*pm, T wrote:
On May 2, 7:40*am, Greg Arnold wrote:

The local towplane operation has a Pawnee that back in 1996 had an STC
from STC Inc. (SA01154AT) modification to the wing attach cluster.
Apparently it still requires a wings off inspection every two years.
The owner of the operation has heard that there may be an inexpensive
permanent fix that eliminates the biennial inspection. *Perhaps a gusset
plate welded onto the cluster. Is anyone familiar with that procedure?

Our wing attach cluster STC repair came from Schweizer and requires
annual inspections, but only the wing removal and dye check ever 6
years. It's not that hard to remove Pawnee wings if you have a hanger
and an engine hoist.

You can research STCs on FAA.gov.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgSAIB.nsf/2d69931bd1dab16b862572250070589f/c1850358cba7bf4a8625721f0052ec5c/$FILE/ACE-96-10.pdf

There are only 3 STCs I could find that are approved for the Wing
Cluster AD.
SA00992AT, Kosola Assoc, Georgia
SA01073AT, Schweizer Aircraft (the one we have mentioned above)
SA01154AT, STC Inc, (the one you say you have)

And I would think that once one of the STCs is installed, it would be
very difficult to change to a different one because of all the welding
that is done on original installation.
Old February 2nd 19, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

W dniu środa, 4 maja 2011 05:14:31 UTC+2 użytkownik Bill T napisał:
On May 3, 6:05Â*pm, T wrote:
On May 2, 7:40Â*am, Greg Arnold wrote:

The local towplane operation has a Pawnee that back in 1996 had an STC
from STC Inc. (SA01154AT) modification to the wing attach cluster.
Apparently it still requires a wings off inspection every two years.
The owner of the operation has heard that there may be an inexpensive
permanent fix that eliminates the biennial inspection. Â*Perhaps a gusset
[...]

Hi guys,
I am trying to find the STC SA01073AT details. According to our aircraft's documentation, we have it installed. Is there any special procedure to perform a dye penetrant check every 6 years (drawings, instructions)? I suppose it may be included in STC, but I cannot find anything on the internet...
Old February 4th 19, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On May 3, 6:05Â*pm, T wrote:
[...]

I have lots of documentation on all three STC's that were available for the wing spar attachment. I also have a letter from the FAA stating that two of the three are considered termination for the AD. Those two are the STC Solutions, SA01154AT, and the Kosala, SA00992AT. You may also apply for an AMOC for the Schweizer STC and possibly eliminate the wing removal inspection.. I do have a ccopy of the FAA letter and would be glad to pass it along. Bob
Old March 14th 19, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Ruggiero

Default Pawnee STC question

Hey Bob, I’m up against what sounds like the same situation with our towplane. Could you send me the same documentation you mentioned? Thanks....

Larry Ruggiero, Carolina Soaring Association, Spartanburg SC

Old March 15th 19, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

Most inspectors do not understand the termination of the AD that is approved with the completion of the STC. I will be sending you the information that includes letters from the FAA which states that the STC acts as an AMOC and therefore no further wing removal is necessary. Bob
Old March 15th 19, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 11:05:54 PM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
Most inspectors do not understand the termination of the AD that is approved with the completion of the STC. I will be sending you the information that includes letters from the FAA which states that the STC acts as an AMOC and therefore no further wing removal is necessary. Bob

Could you please create a link for this so others can benefit.
Thanks in advance.
UH
Old March 15th 19, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Ruggiero

This is the pertinent SAIB from 1996:

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgSAIB.nsf/2d69931bd1dab16b862572250070589f/c1850358cba7bf4a8625721f0052ec5c/$FILE/ACE-96-10.pdf

Larry Ruggiero