Weglide.org

Old April 5th 21, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

Default Weglide.org

On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 4:22:40 PM UTC-4, Moshe Braner wrote:
On Wednesday, January 20, 2021 at 5:02:48 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
pavel skrabal wrote on 1/20/2021 9:06 AM:
Looks like new interesting project for storing IGC flights. I think prehistoric OLC needs some fresh blood competition. WiFi download of flights straight from LX computers again this summer?

The presentation is very good, and I prefer it to the OLC presentation, but I think a bigger
issue is we have too many places to send IGC files. I wish the sites would coordinate, so a
flight posted on one would automatically post on the others, at the selection of the pilot.
Perhaps, this could accomplished with a web site that accepts a flight log, then automatically
uploads it to other sites that pilot has selected. That way, a pilot could make a single
posting the goes to, say, four flight display sites. This might also fix the LXNav posting
issue to OLC.

I am trying out WeGlide this season. Had my first flight yesterday. Posted my flight log to WeGlide last night. About 18 hours later I got an email from OLC Result Notifier about the same flight. How did that happen? I didn't post my flight to OLC, only to WeGlide. Are OLC copying flights from WeGlide to keep themselves looking relevant? Or are WeGlide uploading to OLC too?

Funny. Now (an hour after I posted the above here) my flight has vanished from OLC. No I don't think I was hallucinating :-)
Old April 19th 21, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer[_2_]

On Mon, 5 Apr 2021 14:58:35 -0700 (PDT), Moshe Braner
wrote:

Funny. Now (an hour after I posted the above here) my flight has vanished from OLC. No I don't think I was hallucinating :-)

Think twice.
WeGlide and OLC are two completey different organizations, and there
is definitely no file exchange.

Did you upload your flight with your LX flight computer by any chance?
Since this year (and the appearance of WeGlide as a strong competitor)
OLC has enabled this funktion again.

Cheers
Andreas

Old April 19th 21, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

wrote:

Funny. Now (an hour after I posted the above here) my flight has vanished from OLC. No I don't think I was hallucinating :-)

Think twice.
WeGlide and OLC are two completey different organizations, and there
is definitely no file exchange.

Did you upload your flight with your LX flight computer by any chance?
Since this year (and the appearance of WeGlide as a strong competitor)
OLC has enabled this funktion again.

Cheers
Andreas

I got the file from my Nook that was connected to my FLARM in the
glider. And I uploaded the file manually from a PC to WeGlide only. On
purpose, since I am trying that system out now, and told my clubmates to
look for my flights there and not on OLC. It took another 18 hours or
so to somehow show up on OLC. And it disappeared from OLC shortly after
I mentioned that here, with no action on my part.

Yes they are completely different organizations, that is the point.
WeGlide allows (AFAIK) unlimited downloading of any posted flight logs,
by anybody, without a login. So it is possible for a competing
organization to copy and post the same flight logs.
Old April 20th 21, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer[_2_]

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 13:52:52 -0400, Moshe Braner
wrote:

I got the file from my Nook that was connected to my FLARM in the
glider. And I uploaded the file manually from a PC to WeGlide only. On
purpose, since I am trying that system out now, and told my clubmates to
look for my flights there and not on OLC. It took another 18 hours or
so to somehow show up on OLC. And it disappeared from OLC shortly after
I mentioned that here, with no action on my part.

I haven't tried it yet, but I suppose it's possible to download an IGC
file from WeGlide and upload it to OLC... looks like someone did that,
possibly just to test something.

Yes they are completely different organizations, that is the point.
WeGlide allows (AFAIK) unlimited downloading of any posted flight logs,
by anybody, without a login. So it is possible for a competing
organization to copy and post the same flight logs.

I am extremely sure that WeGlide is the future.

In Germany now after only four weeks of regular operations the number
of flights uploaded to WeGlide equals the number in OLC, and there are
so many easily accessible stories and pictures each day that - to me
at least! - WeGlide is a completely new and incredibly exciting
experience to "feel" the flights of others.

https://weglide.org/flights?scoring_...der_by=-points

I dare to predict that at least in Germany OLC will be redundant after
this summer, and I'd love to see the rest of the World adopt WeGlide,
too.

Old April 21st 21, 10:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Tuesday, 20 April 2021 at 13:01:54 UTC+3, Andreas Maurer wrote:
I dare to predict that at least in Germany OLC will be redundant after
this summer, and I'd love to see the rest of the World adopt WeGlide,
too.

Why? We are missing the story behind this. OLC has committed some crime against German pilots?
Old April 21st 21, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matthew Scutter

On Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 7:28:51 PM UTC+10, krasw wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 April 2021 at 13:01:54 UTC+3, Andreas Maurer wrote:
I dare to predict that at least in Germany OLC will be redundant after
this summer, and I'd love to see the rest of the World adopt WeGlide,
too.

Why? We are missing the story behind this. OLC has committed some crime against German pilots?

The decentralized competition in Germany (DMS-t) contracted WeGlide this year, instead of the OLC as was tradition. I know two other countries that will also be strongly considering moving their decentralized competitions this year.
Many pilots only upload their flights to be scored in these contests.

Aside from that, I think the disabling of uploads from LX9000 devices lost the OLC a lot of goodwill against the large base of LX device owners too.
Old April 21st 21, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer[_2_]

On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 02:28:49 -0700 (PDT), krasw
wrote:

On Tuesday, 20 April 2021 at 13:01:54 UTC+3, Andreas Maurer wrote:
I dare to predict that at least in Germany OLC will be redundant after
this summer, and I'd love to see the rest of the World adopt WeGlide,
too.

Why? We are missing the story behind this. OLC has committed some crime against German pilots?

Let me put it like this:
Certain decisions in the last ten years have been... most unfortunate
and have left the impression that OLC is tailored to a certain small
group of people who benefit from rules thast were implemented in the
last years.

Combined with a complete lack of unresponsiveness and a completely
outdated technical base that is getting worse each year, people seem
to have been waiting for a modern platform like WeGlide.

Old April 21st 21, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer[_2_]

On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 15:52:36 +0200, Andreas Maurer
wrote:

Combined with a complete lack of unresponsiveness and a completely
outdated technical base that is getting worse each year, people seem
to have been waiting for a modern platform like WeGlide.

Ooops... typo.

Correct version:
Combined with a complete lack of response...

Old April 21st 21, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

To add to Andreas' statement:

I reached out to RAS earlier this morning about a difficulty logging in
to weglide. Weglide responded to me WITHIN AN HOUR and my problem was
solved. Now that's responsiveness! I've had the same experience with
Matthew and Skysight.

Dan
5J

Old April 21st 21, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Fair enough, though I have received response from OLC every time I've had a problem.