500 km Triangle at 306 km/hr in Argentina

Old December 23rd 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default 500 km Triangle at 306 km/hr in Argentina

I just received an e-mail from Argentina that contained the text below.

"Today, Dec 22nd 2006 at 1:00 AM UTC, Klaus Ohlmann called me on the phone
just after landing to let me know he have made a 500 Km flight at 306 km/h
on average in a Nimbus 4DM... this could be the first above 300 km/h and for
far, the fastest glider flight made under FAI rules."

306 km/hr = 190 mph = 165 knots

That is an amazing feat!

Congratulations Mr. Ohlmann!!!

Merry Christmas,

Paul Remde

Old December 23rd 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

306 km/hr = 190 mph = 165 knots

That is an amazing feat!

Yes, it is.
Anyone trying to beat that record should be certain their parachute is
in good shape, as the number of wings will likely total zero.
Jim

Old December 23rd 06, 06:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soarin Again

At 05:42 23 December 2006, Js wrote:

306 km/hr = 190 mph = 165 knots

That is an amazing feat!

Yes, it is.
Anyone trying to beat that record should be certain
their parachute is
in good shape, as the number of wings will likely total
zero.
Jim

Does anyone know if his Nimbus 4DM has had special
modifications to increase the vne at altitude, or does
he just not care about operating limitations?

Soarin

Old December 23rd 06, 07:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

Soarin Again wrote:
At 05:42 23 December 2006, Js wrote:
306 km/hr = 190 mph = 165 knots

That is an amazing feat!

Does anyone know if his Nimbus 4DM has had special
modifications to increase the vne at altitude, or does
he just not care about operating limitations?

Soarin

When you are cruising at 20,000' to 30,000', doesn't the effect of
altitude cause IAS to be substantially less than ground speed?

Old December 23rd 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

Soarin Again wrote:
At 05:42 23 December 2006, Js wrote:
306 km/hr = 190 mph = 165 knots

That is an amazing feat!

Yes, it is.
Anyone trying to beat that record should be certain
their parachute is
in good shape, as the number of wings will likely total
zero.
Jim

Does anyone know if his Nimbus 4DM has had special
modifications to increase the vne at altitude, or does
he just not care about operating limitations?

306 km/hr true airspeed is 200 to 220 km/hr IAS at the 20000+ foot
altitudes used for these wave flights. Some gliders do require a
reduction in Vne at higher altitudes, but it isn't necessarily the case
that the limitation was exceeded.

Marc
Old December 23rd 06, 08:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

Marc Ramsey wrote:
Soarin Again wrote:
At 05:42 23 December 2006, Js wrote:
306 km/hr = 190 mph = 165 knots

That is an amazing feat!

Yes, it is.
Anyone trying to beat that record should be certain
their parachute is
in good shape, as the number of wings will likely total
zero.
Jim

Does anyone know if his Nimbus 4DM has had special
modifications to increase the vne at altitude, or does
he just not care about operating limitations?

306 km/hr true airspeed is 200 to 220 km/hr IAS at the 20000+ foot
altitudes used for these wave flights. Some gliders do require a
reduction in Vne at higher altitudes, but it isn't necessarily the case
that the limitation was exceeded.

If the 4DM follows the protocol used by the Duo (for which I have a
manual), Vne is IAS up to approximately 2500M altitude, then the
equivalent TAS from there up. If Vne for the 4DM is 275 km/hr, the TAS
limitation would be around 310 km/hr.
Old December 23rd 06, 08:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Crosby

Greg Arnold wrote:

When you are cruising at 20,000' to 30,000', doesn't the effect of
altitude cause IAS to be substantially less than ground speed?

That is indeed true. However, there are aeroelastic concerns (such as
flutter) which may result in a lower indicated vne at high altitude.

Charles

Old December 23rd 06, 12:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stefan

Greg Arnold schrieb:

When you are cruising at 20,000' to 30,000', doesn't the effect of
altitude cause IAS to be substantially less than ground speed?

Vne goes with TAS, not IAS. But then, as it most probably was a wave
flight, there most probably was a wind.

Question, Diamond distance as unsuccessful triangle. Roger Aviation Marketplace 1 November 22nd 04 07:34 PM
Question, Diamond distance as unsuccessful triangle. Roger Soaring 1 May 13th 04 01:31 AM
Argentina ! Frank Noort Military Aviation 0 January 27th 04 09:47 PM
Flying in Argentina Jay Soaring 1 November 25th 03 04:52 AM
new records (Out&Return) for Delore-Fossett in Argentina cernauta Soaring 0 November 17th 03 02:06 PM