Is Zero Indicated Airspeed Possible?

Old August 16th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default Is Zero Indicated Airspeed Possible?

Dallas wrote in
:

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 23:02:16 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

There is the question. I'm in a mood today. Have you flown your
favorite aircraft with zero or near zero indicated airspeed?

I haven't done it, but flying through some icing with the pitot heat off
should do the trick.

Tha'ts not flying with zero indicated airspeed, that's flying with the
airspeed indicator reading zero.

So... what's your answer?

Hammerhaed turns and the like..

bertie

Old August 16th 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_2_]

"Dallas" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 23:02:16 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

There is the question. I'm in a mood today. Have you flown your
favorite aircraft with zero or near zero indicated airspeed?

I haven't done it, but flying through some icing with the pitot heat off
should do the trick.

So... what's your answer?

--
Dallas

If the pitot and weep hole ice over, the airspeed will not change until you
change altitude.

--
Regards, BobF.

Old August 16th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_2_]

"Bob F." wrote in message
. ..
"Dallas" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 23:02:16 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

There is the question. I'm in a mood today. Have you flown your
favorite aircraft with zero or near zero indicated airspeed?

I haven't done it, but flying through some icing with the pitot heat off
should do the trick.

So... what's your answer?

--
Dallas

If the pitot and weep hole ice over, the airspeed will not change until
you change altitude.

--
Regards, BobF.

I had these airspeed experiences:
1. We were moving gliders from our winter storage location to our filed of
operation near Seattle. It was the first flight in the morning. This was
an extremely short field take off. We had a specially developed technique
to handle this including a very short tow rope. I was towing using a Pawnee
and noticed the AS to be very sluggish and it stopped at about 50 Kts. I
was committed for this size field and with a glider behind me to boot. I
wasn't sure of how fast I was going and just depended on experience,
aircraft feel and field length. I just cleared the fence. We climbed to
our agreed altitude, and kept a known throttle setting. When we got near
our final field, the glider released. My ASI was still indicating abt 60
kts but not changing except with altitude. I did a couple of stalls in
order to refresh myself of the nuances and feel of the Pawnee and then
returned to the field and made an uneventful landing. I later talked to the
glider pilot and to my delight he said he didn't notice anything out of the
ordinary during the whole event. A bug was found wedged in the pitot tube.

2. I had an instrument student on a 172 long cross country from SJC. We got
clearance, took off, and I noticed the ASI behaving very similarly. It was
indicating low but for some reason, the student said nothing. Just before
entering the cloud base, I pushed it over, asked the student to return for a
landing, negotiated this all with the tower and the student made an airspeed
indicator failure landing, a little hot, but just fine. Taxied back (still
indicating about 40 kts) to the flight school and pried out another bug.

A story I know of:
727, pitot heat breaker tripped, pilot didn't know. Pitot (actually called
an "air data sensor") froze over and as he was climbing the ASI was now
behaving like an altimeter. As the AS was increasing, he was increasing
pitch. It wasn't until he reached "stick shaker" did he put it all
together. There might be another variation and more details to this story,
since I now only remember the lesson and not the facts.

--
Regards, BobF.

Old August 16th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Bob F." wrote in
:

"Bob F." wrote in message
. ..
"Dallas" wrote in message
[...]

There was a 727 that crashed because of iced over pitot tubes. the pitot
heat wasn't truned on. The early pitot heat swtiching gave you greens if
the heat was n, bu tnothing if it was turned off. All Boeings were
modified to have a big amber light on if the heat was left off and
indications throughout the industry were rethought to ultimately develop
the "dark cockpits" we have today, mostly due to that accident.

Bertie
Old August 16th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_2_]

One more AS experience I just remembered.

A fellow pilot just finished completely rebuilding his A36. We agreed to a
test plan. After the static tests we moved to 6 high speed taxi tests on
the active rwy at RHV. We kept the tower informed before these tests via
phone as a courtesy. On the first HS run, the AS went backwards about 15
dgrees to a stop and stayed there. No big deal, we instantly knew the pitot
and static lines were interchanged. We competed the other 5 runs just to
liftoff and stopped each time with the AS going negative each time. We went
back, changed the lines around and finished the reast of our tests
uneventfully.

Bob F.

Old August 16th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

There was a 727 that crashed because of iced over pitot tubes. the pitot
heat wasn't truned on. The early pitot heat swtiching gave you greens if
the heat was n, bu tnothing if it was turned off. All Boeings were
modified to have a big amber light on if the heat was left off and
indications throughout the industry were rethought to ultimately develop
the "dark cockpits" we have today, mostly due to that accident.

Bertie

Thanks Bertie.

Trivia Q. How many passenger windows were in the last 727 that Boeing
built?

A. Zero, it was a cargo plane. The windows were blocked over. They were
actually installed in case the aircraft was ever converted to a PAX version.
--
Regards, BobF.

Old August 16th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tech Support

OS&B

Instructing in the T-6 I used to win cokes from my Air Force students
by starting a loop at zero indicated airspeed.

Big John

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 12:00:23 -0700 (PDT), "Ol Shy & Bashful"
wrote:

There is the question. I'm in a mood today. Have you flown your
favorite aircraft with zero or near zero indicated airspeed? I'm
talking about controlled flight and predictable outcomes.
Let the games begin. I'm so freaking tired of beach volleyball and the
bull**** olympics that is full of professionals. Whoooooppppss I
digress
Zero IAS. Why is it important to pilots? And I'm talking about in
flight, not sitting on the ramp with the engine off.

Old August 16th 08, 07:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:54:07 -0400, Bob F. wrote:

If the pitot and weep hole ice over, the airspeed will not change until you
change altitude.

Whoops.. yeah... I knew that... temporary brain fart syndrome.

With the hole iced over it will act like an altimeter until the static port
ices over... then it just freezes in place.

--
Dallas

Turbulence and airspeed Jay Honeck Piloting 40 February 14th 06 02:01 AM
Johnson Airspeed Larry Restoration 1 December 28th 04 06:53 AM
F-16 airspeed Brad Piloting 12 July 7th 04 05:36 AM
Tow plane airspeed vs. glider being towed airspeed? MHende6388 Soaring 2 September 28th 03 09:35 AM