Buying prop strike engine

Old August 11th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning

Default Buying prop strike engine

abripl wrote:
If he hadn't run into the snow bank is there a guarantee that the crank
was OK? Aren't there faulty cranks for other reasons and it could have
been a coincidence? Also did he have an aluminum prop?

Wood prop. There is no guarantee that he didn't have a faulty crank.
Then again, the engine had run fine for decades and the crankshaft
snapped less than 25 hrs.after the snow bank stoppage. Feel free to
assume that it was a coincidence.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old August 11th 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Roger (K8RI)

On 10 Aug 2006 06:46:08 -0700, "abripl"
wrote:

If he hadn't run into the snow bank is there a guarantee that the crank
was OK? Aren't there faulty cranks for other reasons and it could have
been a coincidence? Also did he have an aluminum prop?

As to the thread subject a prop strike now days is anything that
requires more than a *minor* prop dressing. So technically a prop
strike engine stretches the gauntlet from "so what" to the "don't go
near it".

We think of snow and snow banks as being soft. I live in Michigan and
we have some snowbanks that'd support a truck and are as hard as
rocks. Nor does the snow have to be packed to get that way.

After a fresh snow I've driven *through* snow banks that were higher
than the hood of my car without hardly slowing down. I've also hit
some relatively small ones (before air bags) that resulted in me
getting out to make sure the front end of the car was OK. Being much
older and hopefully smarter, I now consider what might be hiding in
those drifts.

...............................Seems his crank snapped in
flight and he was lucky enough to be within gliding distance of a
usable strip. He had taxied his plane into a snowbank a few months
earlier. It stopped the engine, but hadn't damaged the prop, so he

A sudden stoppage can be every bit as damaging as one that kills the
prop. Sometimes even worse.

assumed everything was OK. That assumption nearly killed him and his
passenger a few months later.

I've had a sudden and complete engine failure in the Deb. I was able
to put it down on the airport. I never considered that being nearly
killed even though had it quit 10 seconds later I'd have ended up in
the woods.

I might consider an engine failure followed by an uneventful forced
landing as an expensive inconvenience and ahead of time I'd have
considered it *possibly* life threatening, but if all goes well I'd
not say they were nearly killed. Certainly he put them in what might
have been a life threatening situation un-necessarily.

Most off field landings are uneventful. Exciting, but uneventful.

OTOH you never know until the dust settles.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old August 12th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Larry

Michelle: I agree with your assessment. Nose gear failure with "power
off" with consequence of minor prop bend may not require a tear down.
Contact surface (scrape)on the prop will help determine what stresses
were on the crank per my mechanic.

Larry
Michelle P wrote:
joe wrote:
no there is an AD note 2004 -10-14 i think that requires it

A few years back lycoming redefined what is a prop strike.....
A manufactururer SB does not make anything mandatory for a part 91
operator. An AD note does.......

Ron Natalie wrote:

joe wrote:

Then you need to tear it down.????
If its a lycoming you need to tear it down regardless..... AD NOTE
joe

It's only a service bulletin, not an AD.
Both Continental and Lycoming consider a teardown
mandatory after a prop strike.

Read the Lycoming AD/SB carefully. Just because you hit something does
not mean you have to do a tear down.

Michelle A&P (having read the thing more than once in the last year)

Old August 13th 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

On 8 Aug 2006 18:04:34 -0700, "joe" wrote:

no there is an AD note 2004 -10-14 i think that requires it

A few years back lycoming redefined what is a prop strike.....
A manufactururer SB does not make anything mandatory for a part 91
operator. An AD note does.......

Even if it were only and SB which is not "officially" mandatory, let's
say you have a prop strike. Every thing looks good, you replace or
straighten the prop and the thing runs well. Even the run out looks
good. About 50 or 100 hours later the crank lets go and you shred the
thing in an off field landing although no one gets hurt. What does
your insurance company say if they find out you have not complied with
that particular SB?

Will they pay and say nothing? Will they pay and complain? Will they
raise your rates? Will they let your renew at renewal time?

Who knows?

Old August 14th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Dave Stadt

"Roger" wrote in message
[...]

They will pay. Happened to a Cherokee around here and no questions were
asked.

Ron Natalie wrote:
joe wrote:
Then you need to tear it down.????
If its a lycoming you need to tear it down regardless..... AD NOTE
joe

It's only a service bulletin, not an AD.
Both Continental and Lycoming consider a teardown
mandatory after a prop strike.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Buying prop strike engine [email protected] Owning 18 August 14th 06 12:47 AM
Engine Balancing and Resonance Vibration Problem AllanFuller Owning 13 September 12th 05 12:51 AM
Towing Roger Fowler Soaring 6 August 11th 05 04:25 AM
Prop Feathers and Engine Shuts down after landing???????? AIR ADVENTURE82 Piloting 3 August 21st 03 05:42 AM