OT-Killing Pop-ups as a webmaster

Old November 18th 03, 12:28 PM
Dylan Smith

In article d7aub.226068$Tr4.669834@attbi_s03, Jay Honeck wrote:
I don't mean to sound rude, but if the sites are invisible to you because of
YOUR choice of browser, how is this anyone's problem but yours?

If the problem is that a *world wide web* site isn't really following
W3C standards, it is NOT the fault of the browser: it's the fault of the
software used to create the website, or if coded by hand, the person who
created the website. It is perfectly possible (and not that hard!) to
make a website that renders correctly on everything from a Sony-Erricsen
Symbian phone to Konqueror running on a 4-processor Solaris system.

Also note that mobile phone based web-browsers are going to become
increasingly prevalent. For a business in the hotel industry, mobile
devices will be VERY important to you, as people will probably use their
GPRS or 3G phone to look up a hotel when they show up to Iowa City
airport on a cold and rainy night. Most of these phones don't run MSIE -
they run the Symbian browser. Write Microsoft-only web pages at your
peril!

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old November 18th 03, 12:30 PM
Dylan Smith

In article mCgub.31924$Dw6.157267@attbi_s02, Jay Honeck wrote:
As you can see, Microsoft browsers are used by 97% of all internet users.

That's just *past* statistics. What about the Symbian cell phones that
are selling like hot cakes (at least over here) which DO NOT run
Microsoft software?

Old November 18th 03, 02:39 PM
Jay Honeck

That's just *past* statistics. What about the Symbian cell phones that
are selling like hot cakes (at least over here) which DO NOT run
Microsoft software?

Well, they were the most recent stats that I could find.

What's a Symbian cell phone?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 18th 03, 02:49 PM
Jay Honeck

Also note that mobile phone based web-browsers are going to become
increasingly prevalent. For a business in the hotel industry, mobile
devices will be VERY important to you, as people will probably use their
GPRS or 3G phone to look up a hotel when they show up to Iowa City
airport on a cold and rainy night. Most of these phones don't run MSIE -
they run the Symbian browser. Write Microsoft-only web pages at your
peril!

At last, a real REASON to write something that is "standardized".

Okay, here's a question for you: Can I make "standardized" web pages using
FrontPage?

I've looked at Dreamweaver, and -- after a couple of hours -- realized that
it would be like learning Paradox all over again. I just don't have time
for that anymore. I'm very comfortable working with FrontPage

In my world the only question that matters is this: Can it be done with
tools at hand?

Can it?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 18th 03, 03:26 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

I've looked at Dreamweaver, and -- after a couple of hours -- realized that
it would be like learning Paradox all over again.

Check out "Hot Dog". We used it in a course on HTML that my former employer
allowed me to take. I remember it as being pretty easy to use.

George Patterson
The actions taken by the New Hampshire Episcopalians (ie. inducting a gay
bishop) are an affront to Christians everywhere. I am just thankful that
the church's founder, Henry VIII, and his wife Catherine of Aragon, and his
wife Anne Boleyn, and his wife Jane Seymour, and his wife Anne of Cleves,
and his wife Katherine Howard, and his wife Catherine Parr are no longer
here to suffer through this assault on traditional Christian marriages.
Old November 18th 03, 04:47 PM
Jay Honeck

What's a Symbian cell phone?

That's techology already in use here in Europe. Regarding cellphones and

mobile
technology we are generally at least one generation in advance to the US.

Yeah, I've heard that. The reasons for this remains mysterious to me,
although the explanation always given here is that it's because European
(and Asian) land-line phone systems were so awful that the new (and better)
cellular technology just exploded as a result.

In other words, since the vastly superior US phone system was engineered (by
law) to the "Five Nines" standard (I.E.: 99.999% reliability), there wasn't
as urgent a need for a viable alternative.

What a double-edged sword THAT has turned out to be, eh? Because we did
such a good job with land-lines, we find ourselves in the dark ages of
cellular technology. (Although I'll bet SOMEWHERE in this story it will
come to light that our Gubmint tried to regulate it, and screwed it up.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 18th 03, 04:56 PM
John T

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Yeah, I've heard that. The reasons for this remains mysterious to me,
although the explanation always given here is that it's because
European (and Asian) land-line phone systems were so awful that the
new (and better) cellular technology just exploded as a result.

Maybe. It probably has more to do with the geographic concentration of
population centers than phone system quality. Population centers in Europe
are more densely concentrated, in general, than in the US. That makes it
easier and less expensive to have a radio network reach a comparable number
of people.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer

Old November 18th 03, 05:00 PM
Jay Honeck

Wow. The one labeled "The bedroom in natural sunlight" (Queen bed in
suite.jpg) is 1.3MB, and still has the EXIF information in it (I see
you shot it at 1/20 second at f2.8 with a Canon S100 :-)). It's also
1600x1200 pixels, not resized to a reasonable screen size; I'd suspect
it of being the camera original file, except that the EXIF info says
Photoshop 7 has been at it.

Yikes -- how did THAT slip through? I always re-size them, and rename them.
This one I used the original photo size! (Good thing it was with the old
2.1 megapixel camera, eh?

Time to re-size! (How did you find out all that info on the picture?
When I click on "properties" while viewing it on the webpage, it doesn't
show me all that info...)

On the brighter side, it IS one of the nicer pictures... :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 18th 03, 05:40 PM
John Ousterhout

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:45:21 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Okay, NOW we're on to some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism here. What, exactly do
you mean by that?

My sweetie and I enjoyed our stay at Alexis Park Inn. The an Am
Clipper suite was great and you and Mary treated us extremely well.
However it was really immature of you to enter the suite just to sink
our floatplanes while we were frolicking in the Jacuzzi.

The aviation photos and collectables were great and I covet the
Blackbird pitot.

IMO your website conveys the necessary information just fine.
Resizing some of the photos would improve the speed. Don't worry
about having perfect html, if there are no browser errors it's good
enough. You can spend a *LOT* of time making the site a just little
better. I design web pages and pride myself in writing terse html
manually. But I don't criticize those who don't do it the same way as
I do. You're not a professional web page designer and "Good enough is
good enough". Pay attention to the content and not those irrelevant
details that won't distract 99% of the viewers.

- J.O.-

P.S. I lied. Jay didn't sink our floatplanes... he just capsized
them.

Old November 18th 03, 05:51 PM
Frank

Jay Honeck wrote:

I find it fascinating that you say:

On more of a philosophical note, the internet works because users and
providers _cooperate_ on protocols. Tolerance of non-conforming sites

hurts
us all.

Yet admit:

I use Mozilla (or Konquerer) on Linux. As a result I encounter many sites
that do not conform and are therefore unavailable to me.

I don't mean to sound rude, but if the sites are invisible to you because
of YOUR choice of browser, how is this anyone's problem but yours?

Blaming the website, when it is clearly a limitation of your browser, is
illogical.

No offense taken. And FTR I can see your site just fine, I just can't view
the videos because they are in proprietary formats. (There is no viewer for
Linux for .wmv's as of now.)

My browsers are compliant, it's the HTML they are pointed at that isn't. I
doubt that you are suggesting that you only want guests that use MS.

I use Linux for a number of reasons, one of them being that I am unwilling
to have systems running MS-Windows facing the internet. I think you'll
agree that this practice is becoming more and more popular.

Even if I used MS as an OS, I still would use Mozilla just because I like
the features it provides. If it came to pass that Mozilla was found to not
work correctly because of non-compliance I would look for a new browser
too. (Assuming it wasn't just a bug that would be fixed after being
reported).

There are very real benefits to consumers in having the web be platform
independent. It is incumbent on all users (providers and consumers) to make
sure that happens. Right now content providers don't take a very big hit
when they don't adhere to standards so people like me often sound like a
voice in the wilderness. But that is changing.....

--
Frank....H