Boston area

Old February 10th 04, 04:10 PM
Paul

Default Boston area

I'm planning a VFR week-end trip this spring in Boston with my 172.

1. Is it feasable in spite of the numerous TFR ?

2. Wich airport to choose.. KBVY (Beverly), KOWD (Norwood), or any other ?

Any suggestions ?

--
Paul

Old February 10th 04, 06:29 PM
John Gaquin

"Paul" wrote in message newsm7Wb.48220

2. Wich airport to choose.. KBVY (Beverly), KOWD (Norwood), or any other ?

BVY, BED, OWD are all spaced around Boston along Route 128 (I-95 to newbies
bg), about 10-12 miles outside the downtown area. I think facilities are
pretty similar from a GA pov. Biggest factor, I would think, would be
arrival direction, and ground destination within the area.

JG

Old February 10th 04, 07:36 PM
Ron Natalie

"Paul" wrote in message news
I'm planning a VFR week-end trip this spring in Boston with my 172.

1. Is it feasable in spite of the numerous TFR ?

2. Wich airport to choose.. KBVY (Beverly), KOWD (Norwood), or any other ?

Norwood is FAR superior to Beverly given a choice (where in Boston are you going)?

Old February 10th 04, 07:55 PM
Tom Nery

You might also consider my little uncontrolled airport 1B9 in Mansfield. We
are located halfway between Providence RI and Boston.

While we're a little farther south of Boston than Norwood, we do have a
commuter train station that will take right into the city. It's only about
2 miles from the airport and a simple cab ride. Also have good gas rates, a
good FBO and maintenance.

Good luck where ever you choice and have fun,

Tom

news

Old February 10th 04, 11:25 PM
Paul

Watatow,

wonderfull answer.

I will arrived from Canada and have a week-end in Boston city centre... I
think... The boss will sat on the right seat !!!

Paul

news

Old February 11th 04, 03:20 AM
Andrew Gideon

Ron Natalie wrote:

Norwood is FAR superior to Beverly given a choice (where in Boston are you
going)?

How so?

I keep trying to get to Beverly, as it is relatively close to my sister (who
is in a place call Swampsville, or some such unlikely choice {8^). It
never works.

My last attempt had clouds down to something like 100' AGL. That same day,
flights were diverting away from JFK for weather.

- Andrew

Old February 11th 04, 05:37 PM
Ron Natalie

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message online.com...
Ron Natalie wrote:

Norwood is FAR superior to Beverly given a choice (where in Boston are you
going)?

How so?

I keep trying to get to Beverly, as it is relatively close to my sister (who
is in a place call Swampsville, or some such unlikely choice {8^). It
never works.

Swampscott I suspect. My father's side of the family is generally from
that area (Lynn, Swampscott, Peabody, Revere, Salem, Danvers).
They don't pronounce the P by the way.

Both FBOs at BVY really suck. Other than that it's a fine place.
On the other hand Eastern Aviation at OWD has extremely good service.
I can count on arriving at OWD and being on my way over to Braintree in
minutes.

As I said the primary issue is where you are heading. If you are going to Danvers,
it's hard to beat BVY, but if I was looking for a place to park to head into downtown
I'd give OWD a shot. If you're going anywhere on the south side (Braintree, Hull,
etc...) then OWD is a no brainer.

Old February 11th 04, 08:44 PM
Andrew Gideon

Ron Natalie wrote:

As I said the primary issue is where you are heading. If you are going
to Danvers, it's hard to beat BVY, but if I was looking for a place to
park to head into downtown
I'd give OWD a shot. If you're going anywhere on the south side
(Braintree, Hull, etc...) then OWD is a no brainer.

I'm not terribly familiar with the area. If I were heading for Swampscott
or Swampfred or whatever, is BVY the proper choice?

- Andrew

Old February 11th 04, 10:12 PM
Ron Natalie

Ron Natalie wrote:

As I said the primary issue is where you are heading. If you are going
to Danvers, it's hard to beat BVY, but if I was looking for a place to
park to head into downtown
I'd give OWD a shot. If you're going anywhere on the south side
(Braintree, Hull, etc...) then OWD is a no brainer.

I'm not terribly familiar with the area. If I were heading for Swampscott
or Swampfred or whatever, is BVY the proper choice?

BVY is probably the closest (other than Logan).

Old February 11th 04, 10:21 PM
Andrew Gideon

Ron Natalie wrote:

BVY is probably the closest (other than Logan).

I'm assuming that Logan wouldn't be too GA friendly. Is that wrong? It
would be kind of kicky to fly into there. Do you think they'd let me use a
Jetway? Or would it have to be a Pistonway?

- Andrew