wanted: hangar door tips

Old April 17th 04, 04:30 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 06:54:06 -0500, Mark Smith wrote:

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

On 16 Apr 2004 13:23:30 -0700, (Craig) wrote:

Ron Rosenfeld wrote in message . ..
It came with an electric bifold door.

In spite of winter ice and snow, the door has never given any trouble
whatsoever. No tracks in the ground to freeze up or buckle. The only time
I couldn't open the door was when the airport had a power failure.

I would do it again.

Biggest problem with a bifold is tail height. For my aircraft, it
makes the door framing a heck of a lot bigger than I really want. For
a tail height of 15' on one of mine, it makes the bifold opening a
minimum of 20' tall. When you couple that with a required span of 60',
it makes for a very expensive door that has to be power operated,
along with some significant structural needs. For my purposes, a
biflod would end up costing nearly as much as the rest of the hangar
itself.

Craig C.

I really have no idea regarding door costs. The kit with a 40x10 bifold
door was about $13K (engineered for northern climes). That was less than
half the total construction cost. I have no idea what a larger hangar
would cost.

my folding doors cost me about 500 more than just building the original
wall,

anf they open in less than a minute, even with the electric power off,

13K for door, not doors ?

you guys have more money than brains !

Perhaps I was unclear, but my message about the $13K said the kit
"included" the door. With my limited communication skills, I thought that
would be interpreted that the kit comprised a number of components, one of
which was the door; not that the kit was comprised *solely* of the door.

Old April 17th 04, 05:12 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 11:30:03 -0400, Ron Rosenfeld
wrote:

Perhaps I was unclear, but my message about the $13K said the kit
"included" the door. With my limited communication skills, I thought that
would be interpreted that the kit comprised a number of components, one of
which was the door; not that the kit was comprised *solely* of the door.

Actually, it was my first message about the kit that used the word
"included". The second message, in which I mentioned the $13K, used a
different phraseology that might have been confusing had you not read my
first message.

Old April 17th 04, 05:45 PM
Mark Smith

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
you guys have more money than brains !

Perhaps I was unclear, but my message about the $13K said the kit
"included" the door. With my limited communication skills, I thought that
would be interpreted that the kit comprised a number of components, one of
which was the door; not that the kit was comprised *solely* of the door.

sory, thought we were talking doors,

I don't 13K in both of my 40 by 42 hangars, including the trifold
doors,,,,,,,,
--

Mark Smith
Tri-State Kite Sales http://www.trikite.com
Old April 18th 04, 04:07 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 11:45:18 -0500, Mark Smith wrote:

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
you guys have more money than brains !

Perhaps I was unclear, but my message about the $13K said the kit
"included" the door. With my limited communication skills, I thought that
would be interpreted that the kit comprised a number of components, one of
which was the door; not that the kit was comprised *solely* of the door.

sory, thought we were talking doors,

I don't 13K in both of my 40 by 42 hangars, including the trifold
doors,,,,,,,,

And I doubt there's $13K in the other four hangars on the field here.

Old April 18th 04, 07:52 AM
Craig

"Blueskies" wrote in message om...
Not these doors, which is what I have. They have the aux arms on the sides which allow them to open further with a given
opening...

http://www.hi-fold.com/

They don't gain as much headroom as you think. By their own spec's,
the vertical height of the door opening will need to be nearly 30"
over the height that I would need. Besides, here in the summer time
heat and wind, a bifold is a PITA. It's too hard to regulate airflow
through the hangar.

Craig C.

Old April 18th 04, 02:19 PM
Mark Smith

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
you guys have more money than brains !

Perhaps I was unclear, but my message about the $13K said the kit
"included" the door. With my limited communication skills, I thought that
would be interpreted that the kit comprised a number of components, one of
which was the door; not that the kit was comprised *solely* of the door.

sory, thought we were talking doors,

I don't 13K in both of my 40 by 42 hangars, including the trifold
doors,,,,,,,,

And I doubt there's $13K in the other four hangars on the field here.

sounds like a possible slum area ????

Mark Smith
Tri-State Kite Sales http://www.trikite.com
1121 N Locust St
Mt Vernon, IN 47620

The Auction Hangar - Completely free aviation auction site. The Auction Hangar Instrument Flight Rules 10 April 19th 04 12:37 AM
wanted: hangar door tips Joa Home Built 35 April 18th 04 02:19 PM
wanted: hangar door tips Joa Owning 36 April 18th 04 02:19 PM
The Auction Hangar - Completely free aviation auction site. The Auction Hangar Piloting 1 April 6th 04 02:39 PM
The Auction Hangar - Completely free aviation auction site. The Auction Hangar Owning 0 April 6th 04 12:58 AM