What skills atrophy first?

Old April 20th 04, 01:38 AM
Jim Baker

"ET" wrote in message
"Jim Baker" wrote in
:

"Michael 182" wrote in message
news:Zw%fc.155251$K91.408307@attbi_s02...
Flew today for the first time in two months. I'm a 1000 hour pilot,
so

it's
not as if I'm starting from scratch, but I really felt slow on every
thinking step. Had to refer to checklists to remember all the
preflight, startup, takeoff drills, which made me wonder what I had
forgotten on emergency and other checklists, so I reviewed them in
the run up area.

Once
I got off the ground I was fine, and landings were no problem -
probably muscle memory takes over. So I guess, for me, the thing that
atrophies

first
is procedures. Maybe a sign of age...

Michael

The last time I flew was 6 years ago. I hadn't flown in about 2 years
at that point. Like you, the procedures had gone kaput, but I wasn't
a small airplane, civil pilot anyway so didn't think too much about
that. Like you, I could fly the airplane fine...the CFI "said" he was
impressed since I hadn't flown a small (172SP) airplane since the late
1970's and wanted me to go on...probably more for having a student
than anything else lol. Unlike what CJ posted above though, I didn't
have any problems on the radio, flew a couple of ILS approaches under
the hood and the cross check was fine but the thing that surprised me
the most was not a lack of skill, but interest. After about 5,000
hours of flying, I just had no interest in doing it anymore. I was
surprised, flying had been my life for a long time. But, the fire
just wasn't there anymore and it still isn't. I like to hang around
the newsgroups because so much of my life was tied up in flying, but
I have no desire to go do it anymore. Strange.

JB

I know not of what I speak, since I've only been behind the controls of a
plane twice in my life, but I read an article awile back that the
prescription for your afliction is a flight behind the controls of a
Piper Cub.....

Dunno, but it's probably worth a try :-)

--
ET

(future student pilot and future Sonex builder)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

You might be right ET. Maybe I just need to get as far from big, fast
aircraft as possible to enjoy flying again. I'll look around the area and
see if there's any Cubs available.

Thanks,

JB

Old April 20th 04, 10:52 AM
Cub Driver

prescription for your afliction is a flight behind the controls of a
Piper Cub.....

Not only for his affliction, but for almost anyone's, for almost any
ailment

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! blog www.vivabush.org
Old April 20th 04, 08:03 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

prescription for your afliction is a flight behind the controls of a
Piper Cub.....

Not only for his affliction, but for almost anyone's, for almost any
ailment

Thanks, but I'll go with the WACO YMF-5!!

Old April 21st 04, 04:59 AM
Jim Fisher

"Wizard of Draws" wrote in message

I've met Jim. He is.