FAA Application -- kinds of time

Old November 17th 04, 08:26 PM
Gary Drescher

Default FAA Application -- kinds of time

"Nicholas Kliewer" wrote in message
I am filling out my FAA Application for my instrument
checkride and had a couple of questions:

1) I am going for a private/single engine/instrument,
do I check all three blocks at the top? Or just the
instrument? Or just the SE and instrument?

On mine, I checked SE and instrument.

2) What is the difference between:
Solo & PIC
Cross Country Solo : Cross country PIC
Night takeoff/landing : Night takeoff/landing PIC

"Solo" is solo: no one else in the plane. "PIC" is time loggable as PIC
according to the regs (it includes all solo time, and some non-solo time).

The for night takeoff/landing. Is that supposed to
be time spent in the pattern at night? Does it include
night X-C time if I was the one to land the plane?

It includes all pilot time at night (as defined in the regs: between evening
civil twilight and morning civil twilight).

Does all of the time I have received dual at night
count for Night Instruction received even if I was
doing it under the hood and the instruction wasn't
necessarily "night" related? And for that matter,
does all the time that I had XC with my instructor
count as "Cross country instruction received?"

Yes and yes.

What I guess is that "solo" time means when you are
not receiving dual.

Nope, "solo" means no one else in the plane.

--Gary

Old November 18th 04, 05:41 PM
Peter MacPherson

You should go over this with your instructor. He needs to sign the
8710 anyway. I go over all of this with each student so there is
no confusion.

[...]

I am surprised that the FAA doesn't have this in their
FAQ.

Old November 22nd 04, 05:38 PM
Nicholas Kliewer

Peter MacPherson wrote:

You should go over this with your instructor. He needs to sign the
8710 anyway. I go over all of this with each student so there is
no confusion.

The problem was that my instructor and I disagreed on what should be
in the "night take-off and landing" columns. He wanted me to put
total number of night landings -- where I thought it should be hours
of time spent doing night flight where I was the PIC landing pilot.
I just acquiesced -- due to receiving no response here, from the FDSO,
and finding nothing on the FAA website.

I guess it was OK though. I took and passed my IA checkride!
Old November 22nd 04, 05:48 PM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:38:07 -0600, Nicholas Kliewer
wrote:

The problem was that my instructor and I disagreed on what should be
in the "night take-off and landing" columns. He wanted me to put
total number of night landings -- where I thought it should be hours
of time spent doing night flight where I was the PIC landing pilot.
I just acquiesced -- due to receiving no response here, from the FDSO,
and finding nothing on the FAA website.

I guess it was OK though. I took and passed my IA checkride!

It could be because night takeoffs and landings are irrelevant to the
instrument rating.

zero would have been acceptable.

Old November 23rd 04, 02:33 PM
Mark Kolber

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:20:11 -0600, Nicholas Kliewer
wrote:

2) What is the difference between:
Solo & PIC

Solo means sole occupant of the airplane
PIC means loggable pilot in command time under FAR 61.51
Solo is loggable as PIC, but not all PIC is solo.

Cross Country Solo : Cross country PIC

Xc solo is a cross-country flight in which you were the only person in
the airplane
Xc PIC is a cross-country flight in which you were either solo of had
loggable PIC time under 61.51

Night takeoff/landing : Night takeoff/landing PIC

A night takeoff and landing is loggable when you were the sole
manipulator of the controls during the night takeoff or landing

A night takeoff and landing as PIC is a night takeoff and landing
when you were the sole manipulator of the controls during the night
takeoff or landing and had loggable PIC time under 61.51.

Does all of the time I have received dual at night
count for Night Instruction received even if I was
doing it under the hood and the instruction wasn't
necessarily "night" related?

Of course it does. 61.51 tells us to log the conditions of flight. If
the flight took place in simulated instrument conditions at night,
both simulated instrument and night are the conditions of flight.

And for that matter,
does all the time that I had XC with my instructor
count as "Cross country instruction received?"

Sure. If your CFI endorsed it as an instructional flight and it was a
xc, then it was a xc instructional flight

What I guess is that "solo" time means when you are
not receiving dual.

No. "solo" means that you are "solo" - the only person in the
aircraft.

I am surprised that the FAA doesn't have this in their
FAQ.

Maybe because it's so simple? Besides, most of this =is= in the FAQ.

Mark Kolber
APA/Denver, Colorado
www.midlifeflight.com
email? Remove ".no.spam"