USAF RAPE Academy

Old August 30th 03, 05:44 AM
BUFDRVR

Default USAF RAPE Academy

A department official who had read the report, speaking on condition of
anonymity, said the survey done this year showed that 109 of the 579
female cadets surveyed, or 18.8 percent, said they had been sexually
assaulted in their time at the academy. Sexual assault was defined as
anything from unwanted touching to rape.

First let me say I am no fan of the USAFA. I believe as a money saving venture
it should be closed down. However this rape thing has gotten out of control. If
you go to University of Maryland or University of Southern California (just two
random schools) and survey females there you'll get a rate of at least 18.8%,
especialy when you say "unwanted touching" is rape.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old August 30th 03, 12:13 PM
Gooneybird

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
A department official who had read the report, speaking on condition of
anonymity, said the survey done this year showed that 109 of the 579
female cadets surveyed, or 18.8 percent, said they had been sexually
assaulted in their time at the academy. Sexual assault was defined as
anything from unwanted touching to rape.

First let me say I am no fan of the USAFA. I believe as a money saving venture
it should be closed down. However this rape thing has gotten out of control.

If
you go to University of Maryland or University of Southern California (just

two
random schools) and survey females there you'll get a rate of at least 18.8%,
especialy when you say "unwanted touching" is rape.

Lou Dobbs did a piece on that last night, and I can't remember which institution
he mentioned other than it was an Eastern one, but he cited a comparable survey
where the numbers were about 8%.

What bothers me about the whole mess is that the male cadets haven't apparently
gotten the message that keeping their zippers up and their hands to themselves
was a reflection of the amount of self-discipline they had, i.e. - doing what
you have to do even if you don't want to do it, or vice versa, and that failures
in that line might well have a negative effect on our willingness to entrust our
valuable and expensive aircraft as well as our national security to people who
are that undisciplined.

Are my expectations in that regard unreasonable? I don't know.

BTW, Dobbs also reported that similar surveys were being initiated at the USMA
and the USNA.

George Z.

Old August 30th 03, 05:03 PM
BUFDRVR

Lou Dobbs did a piece on that last night, and I can't remember which
institution
he mentioned other than it was an Eastern one, but he cited a comparable
survey
where the numbers were about 8%.

Remember, the "compareable survey" needs to be identical. If you don't include
"unwanted touching" you'll lose many "yes I've been raped" votes.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old August 30th 03, 05:39 PM
Joey Bishop

"BUFDRVR" wrote
Lou Dobbs did a piece on that last night, and I can't remember which
institution
he mentioned other than it was an Eastern one, but he cited a comparable
survey
where the numbers were about 8%.

Remember, the "compareable survey" needs to be identical. If you don't include
"unwanted touching" you'll lose many "yes I've been raped" votes.

I think a good plan would be to insist that no virgins be allowed into the
academy. 1) the boys won't be trying to get laid for the first time, and 2) the
girls will know how to operate a switchblade.

Old August 30th 03, 08:15 PM
Gooneybird

BUFDRVR wrote:
Lou Dobbs did a piece on that last night, and I can't remember which
institution
he mentioned other than it was an Eastern one, but he cited a comparable
survey
where the numbers were about 8%.

Remember, the "compareable survey" needs to be identical. If you don't include
"unwanted touching" you'll lose many "yes I've been raped" votes.

That doesn't matter to me. I'm not going to quibble about how many did this
****ty thing and how many did that slightly less ****ty thing. Copping a free
and unwanted feel isn't that much better than going whole hog. They're both
demonstrated actions of immature cadets who feel or show no respect for those of
their fellow cadets who happen to be female. Those attitudes have to be
unacceptable in any military organization where both men and women serve. We
cannot turn tomorrow's leaders loose feeling that it's their right to satisfy
their sexual urges however they see fit while Americans entrust their wives and
daughters into their care while they are serving their country.

Any cadet who can be clearly identified as one of those culprits ought to be
booted out of the Academy to pursue some other career. We don't need that kind
of leader in tomorrow's Air Force.

George Z.

Old August 31st 03, 03:39 AM
Joey Bishop

"BUFDRVR" wrote

I agree completely. My only beef is the libral way they're throwing around the
word "rape". This USAFA thing is serious and doesn't need to be "hyped up".

The word "rape" has been so raped, that is has no meaning. Today it means that
you can decide at any point that you are being raped, while years ago it meant
you were brutally taken down against your will. Things we hung people for. Alas,
now a woman can decide just before orgasm, hell, I suspect even after orgasm,
that you have stopped having sex, and are now being raped.

Don't get me started. I have some great stories where men are in prison today
because they admitted to oral sodomy. A woman can admit to oral sodomy, a
man cannot, and so goes the initial interview by the prosecutions detectives.

But a comment by Roger Rosenblatt (about Clinton) guides me in life:

"a man who is profligate with his affections is vulnerable to any accusation."

Actually, if we could breed out the penis, 652 laws would fall by the side.

Old August 31st 03, 07:17 PM
Guy Alcala

BUFDRVR wrote:

snip

I agree completely. My only beef is the libral way they're throwing around the
word "rape". This USAFA thing is serious and doesn't need to be "hyped up".

In the original post cited, I didn't see liberal use of the word "rape". What does
appear to be used liberally is the phrase "sexual assault."

Guy

Old August 31st 03, 07:20 PM
Joey Bishop

"Guy Alcala" wrote
BUFDRVR wrote:

snip

I agree completely. My only beef is the libral way they're throwing around the
word "rape". This USAFA thing is serious and doesn't need to be "hyped up".

In the original post cited, I didn't see liberal use of the word "rape". What does
appear to be used liberally is the phrase "sexual assault."

or "sexual harassment." Whew! Ask for a date, end up in prison...

Old August 31st 03, 08:56 PM
Leslie Swartz

I trust the suddenly self-righteous will be just as intolerant of the female
cadets who do things like get drunk at a prohibited party, play strip poker,
engage in intercourse, and decide later they were raped; or have sex with
their boyfriend, get pregnant, are confronted by their parents, and decide
they were raped; or get dumped by their upperclassman boyfriend, then decide
they were raped; etc.*

Yes, it "takes two to tango" but creating a system where the male is the
only party held responsible for prohibited acts; or is even the "responsible
party by default" is a disaster.

Investigations of allegations of sexual assault are, shall we say,
"problematic" as any truthful DA/cop will tell you. The *truth* of what
happened is often secondary to demonstrating politically that "We Will Not
Tolerate" this, that, or the other.

The Stake, Charcoal, and Lighter Fluid are ready.

Bring on some Witches!

Steve Swartz

*all examples from a few of the most notorious recent USAFA cases.

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
"Gooneybird" wrote:

What bothers me about the whole mess is that the male cadets haven't

apparently
gotten the message that keeping their zippers up and their hands to

themselves
was a reflection of the amount of self-discipline they had, i.e. - doing

what
you have to do even if you don't want to do it, or vice versa, and that

failures
in that line might well have a negative effect on our willingness to

entrust our
valuable and expensive aircraft as well as our national security to

people who
are that undisciplined.

Are my expectations in that regard unreasonable? I don't know.

This weekend is "Parents Weekend" at USAFA. It's the opportunity for
the fourthclassmen to have their parents come and visit at the end of
their doolie summer. The Sup't, Lt Gen Rosa and the Commandant, B/Gen
Weida have made a couple of clear speeches about the problem--first
Weida on Thursday to the assembled cadets, then Rosa on Friday to the
new class and their parents.

Both have said the organization is in jeopardy and nobody better
downplay the accusations or try to rationalize that they are being
picked on by the media.

It appears that a much-needed, no-tolerance policy is being enacted.
Weida in particular, addressed the cadets with a sword in hand, saying
it was a symbol of a warrior and that the actions of a few have
tarnished, rusted, corroded that sword. He made clear that violaters
will be gone.

Hope all of this works.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (ret)
***"When Thunder Rolled:
*** An F-105 Pilot Over N. Vietnam"
*** from Smithsonian Books
ISBN: 1588341038

Old August 31st 03, 10:14 PM
Mike Marron

"Leslie Swartz" wrote:

I trust the suddenly self-righteous will be just as intolerant of the female
cadets who do things like get drunk at a prohibited party, play strip poker,
engage in intercourse, and decide later they were raped; or have sex with
their boyfriend, get pregnant, are confronted by their parents, and decide
they were raped; or get dumped by their upperclassman boyfriend, then decide
they were raped; etc.*

Exactly right. So far its been a totally one-sided affair and the
media has yet to tell us the MEN'S side of the story.

Yes, it "takes two to tango" but creating a system where the male is the
only party held responsible for prohibited acts; or is even the "responsible
party by default" is a disaster.

It's "takes two to tango" but the women cadets are alleging the exact
opposite has occurred at the AFA. In other words, they claim that
they've been sexually assaulted or raped and when they reported
it they were drummed out of the air force while the perpetrators got
off scot free, became officers, and are now flying jets.

Investigations of allegations of sexual assault are, shall we say,
"problematic" as any truthful DA/cop will tell you. The *truth* of what
happened is often secondary to demonstrating politically that "We Will Not
Tolerate" this, that, or the other.

Agreed.

The Stake, Charcoal, and Lighter Fluid are ready.

Bring on some Witches!

Yep.

-Mike (politics as usual) Marron