The real benefits of high fuel prices

Old June 9th 08, 08:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
John Ewing

Default The real benefits of high fuel prices

"Michael Henry" wrote in message
node...
Stealth Pilot wrote:

the other thing I like about high fuel prices is that the chinese have
to pay them as well. that'll slow the buggers down. maybe the jobs
will stop being exported over to them in the long run.

That's a pretty archaic view! It is Chinese demand for our natural
resources which is making the Australian dollar so strong! As Ben Lee said
"We're all in this together"

I'm of the opinion that high fuel prices are good for another reason: it
makes alternative fuels more viable. I look forward to the day when we're
all running aero-diesels burning biofuel. (The current perception by
consumers that biofuel is responsible for high food prices is rubbish.
Destruction of native forests for the planting of feedstock is a bigger
issue. We'll work it out eventually...)

Skip biofuel ... go straight to zero pollution hydrogen powered vehicles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_vehicle

http://www.science.org.au/nova/063/063print.htm

John

Old June 9th 08, 09:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
Bernd Felsche

"John Ewing" none@needed wrote:
"Michael Henry" wrote:
Stealth Pilot wrote:

[...]

Zero-pollution? How are you going to get the hydrogen? Safely? Onto
the aircraft?

Hydrogen, unless it's been extracted directly from fossil sources,
is only a storage medium for the energy needed to produce it. And at
that, it's certainly not perfectly efficient.
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | Great minds discuss ideas;
X against HTML mail | Average minds discuss events;
/ \ and postings | Small minds discuss people. -- Eleanor Roosevelt
Old June 9th 08, 10:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
Peter Smyth

Stealth Pilot wrote:

[...]

Maybe you should read what you posted. Currently the production of hydrogen
for comerical use uses far more energy that a petrol motor.

Old June 9th 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
John Ewing

"Michael Henry" wrote:
Stealth Pilot wrote:

[...]

From water probably using solar cells. Recent developments have
dramatically increased their efficiency, and there is likely to be further
improvements.

Safely? Onto the aircraft?

Safely? Innovative reckoning would suggest liquid hydrogen
Hope we are not going to recount the old "hydrogen is too dangerous - look
what happened to the airships"
To be honest I was considering that we'd get surface vehicles converted
before we try aircraft.
I am not claiming it is a proven or fully researched option at the present
time, but it has greater potential than most other alternative energy
sources.

Hydrogen, unless it's been extracted directly from fossil sources,
is only a storage medium for the energy needed to produce it. And at
that, it's certainly not perfectly efficient.

Very few things in life are perfectly efficient.
Sorry - you've lost me. Not sure what your point is.

Cheers,
John

Old June 9th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
John Ewing

Stealth Pilot wrote:

[...]

Maybe I did. Thanks for your other observation. And for your apt
qualification - the word "currently".

Let us hope those Governments with funds available for research divert the
billions they are spending on oil wars into long term viable, sustainable
and pollution-free energy options. I think hydrogen is certainly one to be
considered. Biofuels may have a role as a stop-gap measure.

Cheers,
John

Old June 9th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
Peter Smyth

u...

Stealth Pilot wrote:

[...]

A Uni has been doing intense study in using solar panels to produce
Hydrogen. They can in very small amounts. very small at this stage

Old June 9th 08, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"John Ewing" none@needed wrote in
u:

"Michael Henry" wrote:
Stealth Pilot wrote:

[...]

From water probably using solar cells. Recent developments have
dramatically increased their efficiency, and there is likely to be
further improvements.

Safely? Onto the aircraft?

Safely? Innovative reckoning would suggest liquid hydrogen

Too heavy. Unless there's been some breakthrough in thermally lined
tanks it should be as a gas and that means a LOT of volume.

Hope we are not going to recount the old "hydrogen is too dangerous -
look what happened to the airships"
To be honest I was considering that we'd get surface vehicles
converted before we try aircraft.
I am not claiming it is a proven or fully researched option at the
present time, but it has greater potential than most other alternative
energy sources.

It's a good idea to try and deveop it. There are several vehicles for
ale that will run on hydrogen right now. Morgan has just built a new
fuel cell car to go along with it's already available H2 powered IC car
so it's making a small start anyway.

Hydrogen, unless it's been extracted directly from fossil sources,
is only a storage medium for the energy needed to produce it. And at
that, it's certainly not perfectly efficient.

Very few things in life are perfectly efficient.
Sorry - you've lost me. Not sure what your point is.

Well, it is pretty efficient on paper, but it's certainly not all that
practical for aircraft. You either need a massive amount in volume in
gas form or al the complexity of liquid H2. NASA flew a Musketeer on
lquid H2 in the 70s and it worked fine, but the tanks were quite heavy.
I think it was less an experiment in an H2 powered airplane than it was
some sort of research for space flight anyway.

Bertie