METAR Question

Old January 23rd 13, 06:31 PM
test_driver test_driver is offline
Junior Member

Default METAR Question

Hello, I was wondering what the "I####" code in the remaks section of a METAR means.

Example:
kbis 111650Z 36009kt 1 1/2sm r31/5500vp6000ft -sn br bkn009 ovc014 m09/m11 a2962 rmk ao2 upb11e13fzrae1554snb1554e11b13 cig 008v012 p0000 I1000

At the very end there is I1000, because there is a 1 directly after the "I" that makes me think that it may be related to a negative temperature but I am not sure especially sense there is just 000 that comes after.
Any help you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated!
Old January 24th 13, 05:04 AM
test_driver test_driver is offline
Junior Member

I wanted to add that I have another example:

KBIS 230852Z AUTO 32008KT 10SM CLR M12/M15 A3018 RMK AO2 SLP257 I3000 T11171150 53014

In this one the remark in question is now "I3000" so I know it can't be temperature.
I have looked many places and can't figure out what this is.
Old January 25th 13, 05:33 PM
test_driver test_driver is offline
Junior Member

I thought I would let you all know that I figured out what that code means in the METAR.

The code deals with Ice Accretion:

Hourly Ice Accretion Amount:
Ice accretion for the current hour encoded in hundredths of an inch (0.01 in.) has the following format:
• I1nnn Whe “I” - is the icing indicator for the group “1" - is the reported time period (one hour) “nnn” - is the thickness accumulated to the nearest one-hundredth of an inch (0.01 in.). A trace amount is encoded as “000.”

Three (3-) Hourly Ice Accretion Amount:
• The accretion of ice over the past three hour time period in one-hundredths of an inch (0.01 in.) would have the format: I3nnn Whe “I” - is the icing indicator for the group “3" - is the reported time period (three hours) “nnn” - is the thickness accumulated to the nearest one-hundredth of an inch (0.01 in.). A trace amount is encoded as “000.” The remark may be encoded at the intermediate synoptic times (0300, 0900, 1500, or 2100 UTC). When conditions warrant, the “I3nnn” remark will be encoded immediately following the hourly ice accretion amount (I1nnn).

Six (6-) Hourly Ice Accretion Amount:
• The accretion of ice over the past six hour time period in one-hundredths of an inch (0.01 in.) will have the format: I6nnn Whe “I” - is the icing indicator for the group “6" - is the reported time period (six hours) “nnn” - is the thickness accumulated to the nearest one-hundredth of an inch (0.01 in.). A trace amount is encoded as “000.” The remark may be encoded at the mandatory synoptic times (0600, 1200, 1800, or 0000 UTC). When conditions warrant, the “I6nnn” remark will be encoded immediately following the hourly ice accretion amount (I1nnn).

This could be very helpful to us but the NWS has not installed this update to all stations yet.
Old January 26th 13, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Poitras

Where did you find that defined? I looked in all the spots I
normally used and none of them had Ixxxx.

--
test_driver

--
Don Poitras
Old January 26th 13, 04:56 AM
test_driver test_driver is offline
Junior Member

It was a simple process but I didn't think of it at first because nobody on several forums had any idea and all I thought it would be was a simple "ah someone on a forum will know". So today I decided to called an airport and the lady there didn't know, so then I talked to one of the guys in the tower he wasn't sure but suggested I contact the NWS, the guy there wasn't sure but he said that it just started showing up after an update with the software on their ASOS. That answer gave me the extra piece of info that seems very simple in hind sight, all I had to do was search google for "ASOS I3000" (click the "Search only for ASOS I3000" link) and the first non-ad listing is a pdf from the NOAA about the new software and what the new groups mean, including the ice accretion one.

It goes to show that forums and the internet are great but sometimes you have to go a little beyond to find the answers.

Last edited by test_driver : January 26th 13 at 05:50 AM.
Old January 26th 13, 01:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Poitras

test_driver wrote:

[...]

Excellent. I did that search, but only found pdfs discussing the
testing of the new ASOS software and how the presence of I3000 etc.
was normally an error. e.g.:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/ops2/Surface..._307_draft.pdf
---
Please Note: In situations when FZRASN is manually entered in the
Present Weather field, an inappropriate trace accretion amount (I1000,
I3000, I6000) might be entered in the remarks section of the METAR /
SPECI reports. This is a known issue and will be addressed at a later
time.
---

This is the page I usually go to, but it hasn't been updated since
2008: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...ardecoder.html

The link at the bottom is dead. I tried to get to the "National Weather
Service Office of Systems Operations" pages, but most required a NOAA
login.

I also found this very official looking "handbook", but it's from 2005:
http://www.ofcm.gov/fmh-1/pdf/FMH1.pdf

--
Don Poitras
Old January 26th 13, 09:30 PM
test_driver test_driver is offline
Junior Member

That is the information that I found also and what I was going off of but then I also got an email reply from the NWS guy I talked to and he confirmed that the I#### is the Ice Accretion group and also that the reason it showed up on the METARs I looked at was because there was trace amounts of ice on the plate.

metar slp reading? Paul kgyy Piloting 8 September 6th 12 11:49 PM
METAR code [email protected] Piloting 19 February 9th 08 11:16 AM
METAR from Mexico Przemek Piloting 2 October 21st 05 02:45 AM
Metar Report [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 12 August 22nd 05 11:12 AM
Interesting METAR Nathan Young Piloting 1 May 15th 04 03:37 PM