How does a wet cloth really help (scientifically) to survive an airplane crash?

Old May 16th 14, 12:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design,rec.aviation.piloting
Ann Marie Brest

Default How does a wet cloth really help (scientifically) to survive an airplane crash?

I'm not sure WHERE to ask this, but, how does a wet cloth
work in an airplane crash anyway?

In step 3 at 45 seconds into this video shows it in use:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXaTt...etailpage#t=49

What's the wet cloth (scientifically) doing?
Old May 16th 14, 01:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design,rec.aviation.piloting
Frank[_16_]

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pil.../Smoke_Web.pdf
Old May 16th 14, 02:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design,rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F

Ann Marie Brest wrote:
I'm not sure WHERE to ask this, but, how does a wet cloth
work in an airplane crash anyway?

In step 3 at 45 seconds into this video shows it in use:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXaTt...etailpage#t=49

What's the wet cloth (scientifically) doing?

My guess would be that the wet cloth catches many of the smoke particles, and
the water will cool the air you inhale.

Old May 16th 14, 04:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design,rec.aviation.piloting
Ann Marie Brest

On Thu, 15 May 2014 20:16:19 -0400, Frank wrote:

What's the wet cloth (scientifically) doing?

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pil.../Smoke_Web.pdf

That nicely summarized FAA article explains:
- Smoke is a complex of particulate matter, invisible combustion gases & vapors suspended in the fire atmosphere.
- Inhalation of toxic gases in smoke is the primary cause of fatalities
- Carbon monoxide & hydrogen cyanide are the principal toxic combustion gases
- Carbon monoxide combines with the hemoglobin in blood and interferes with the oxygen supply to tissues
- Hydrogen cyanide inhibits oxygen utilization at the cellular level.
- Carbon dioxide is a relatively innocuous fire gas, increases respiration rate causing an increase in the uptake of other combustion gases
- Irritant gases, such as hydrogen chloride and acrolein, are generated from burning wire insulation
- Generally, carbon dioxide levels increase while oxygen concentrations decrease during fires.

And then finally, the article suggests:
- Cloth held over the nose and mouth will provide protection from smoke particulates;
- If the cloth is wet, it will also absorb most of the water-soluble gases (i.e., hydrogen cyanide & hydrogen chloride).

What's interesting is that the entire article doesn't discuss any dangers
of breathing smoke particulates, so, why it bothers to mention a dry cloth
is perplexing since we can safely assume that filtering out particulates is
merely a convenience, and not a safety issue.

So, now we're left with the a WET cloth absorbing water-soluble gases.
Of the two water-soluble gases, only hydrogen cyanide was listed in
the article as being a safety issue (the other water-soluble gas was
merely an irritant).

So, I guess we finally have the answer to "why the wet cloth?".

The WET CLOTH filters out (water soluble) hydrogen cyanide:
"Hydrogen cyanide poisoning signs & symptoms are weakness, dizziness, headache,
nausea, vomiting, coma, convulsions, & death. Death results from respiratory arrest.
Hydrogen cyanide gas acts rapidly. Symptoms & death can both occur quickly."

Old May 16th 14, 04:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design,rec.aviation.piloting
Ann Marie Brest

On Thu, 15 May 2014 18:22:53 -0700, Bob F wrote:

My guess would be that the wet cloth catches many of the smoke particles,
and the water will cool the air you inhale.

Based on the one referenced FAA article, the dry cloth does nothing for
safety, but a wet cloth reduces the water-soluble hydrogen cyanide gases.
Old May 16th 14, 04:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design,rec.aviation.piloting
Ann Marie Brest

On Fri, 16 May 2014 03:30:48 +0000, Ann Marie Brest wrote:

Based on the one referenced FAA article, the dry cloth does nothing for
safety, but a wet cloth reduces the water-soluble hydrogen cyanide gases.

Armed with the new keywords "wet cloth hydrogen cyanide", I find more
on the toxicity of HCN over he

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/MMG/MMG.asp?id=1141&tid=249
"Hydrogen cyanide is readily absorbed from the lungs; symptoms of poisoning
begin within seconds to minutes. The odor of hydrogen cyanide is detectable
at 2-10 ppm (OSHA PEL = 10 ppm), but does not provide adequate warning of
hazardous concentrations. Perception of the odor is a genetic trait
(20% to 40% of the general population cannot detect hydrogen cyanide);
also, rapid olfactory fatigue can occur. Hydrogen cyanide is lighter than air.
Children exposed to the same levels of hydrogen cyanide as adults may
receive larger doses because they have greater lung surface area:body
weight ratios and increased minute volumes:weight ratios."

"Hydrogen cyanide acts as a cellular asphyxiant.
By binding to mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase, it prevents the utilization
of oxygen in cellular metabolism. The CNS and myocardium are particularly
sensitive to the toxic effects of cyanide."

"In the United States, antidotes for cyanide include amyl nitrite perles
and intravenous infusions of sodium nitrite and sodium thiosulfate,
which are packaged in the cyanide antidote kit."

But, what we need to know is how effective is the wet cloth in reducing
the hydrogen cyanide gases in the cabin air.
Old May 16th 14, 04:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design,rec.aviation.piloting
Ann Marie Brest

On Fri, 16 May 2014 03:41:06 +0000, Ann Marie Brest wrote:

Armed with the new keywords "wet cloth hydrogen cyanide", I find more
on the toxicity of HCN over he

And, here's what OSHA has to say about the dangers of HCN:
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/81-123/pdfs/0333.pdf

"[Hydrogen cyanide] is capable of bringing to a halt all
cellular respiration".

"A few inhalations of high concentrations of HCN may be
followed by almost instantaneous collapse and cessation
of respiration."

"270ppm HCN is immediately fatal to humans"
"181ppm HCN is fatal after 10 minutes"
"135ppm HCN is fatal after 30 minutes"
"110ppm HCN is fatal after 60 minutes"

"Humans tolerate 45ppm to 54ppm for 1/2 to 1 hour without
immediate or delayed effects, while 18ppm to 36ppm may
result in symptoms after exposure for several hours."

So, the key question is what the HCN concentrations are in
a typical airplane cabin fire?

Old May 16th 14, 05:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design,rec.aviation.piloting
Ann Marie Brest

On Fri, 16 May 2014 03:52:45 +0000, Ann Marie Brest wrote:

Armed with the new keywords "wet cloth hydrogen cyanide", I find more
on the toxicity of HCN over he

This flight safety PDF titled "Guarding the airways", is of interest:
http://flightsafety.org/download_fil...t06_p28-30.pdf

It mentions only that the "wet cloth" prevents irritation, which we're
not concerned with in this discussion.

They also explained that the "dry" heat of a cabin fire isn't of great concern:
"the human body’s upper airway naturally provides significant protection
to the lower airway and lungs against extreme heat from hot, dry air".

I'm pretty surprised about those findings, but they in this article
specifically about guarding your airway during an airplane cabin fire.

Old May 16th 14, 05:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design,rec.aviation.piloting
Ann Marie Brest

On Fri, 16 May 2014 04:00:28 +0000, Ann Marie Brest wrote:

I'm pretty surprised about those findings, but they in this article
specifically about guarding your airway during an airplane cabin fire.

This Airbus briefing discusses HOW to use the wet towels properly:
http://airbus.com/fileadmin/media_ga..._OPS-SEQ06.pdf

"Use wet towels, a wet cloth, or a head rest cover to reduce some of
the effects of smoke inhalation. Instruct passengers to hold the wet
towel/cloth over their noses and mouth and breathe through it."
..
This onboard emergency description mentions not to use ALCOHOL:
http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_asset...r/apr_fire.pdf

"To limit the effects of toxic fumes, a wet cloth should be
placed over your nose and mouth (a headrest cover or any other
available fabric is suitable). Use water, soft drink or other
non-alcoholic beverages to moisten the fabric."

Given that alcoholic drinks are almost all water anyway, I wonder
why they bothered to mention non-alcoholic drinks?

Does alcohol on the wet fabric do anything different with HCN?
Old May 16th 14, 05:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design,rec.aviation.piloting
Ann Marie Brest

On Fri, 16 May 2014 04:00:28 +0000, Ann Marie Brest wrote:

They also explained that the "dry" heat of a cabin fire isn't of great concern:
"the human body’s upper airway naturally provides significant protection
to the lower airway and lungs against extreme heat from hot, dry air".

Here they mention the heat inside your body during a cabin fi
http://wenku.baidu.com/view/8abb4621...fcc220e6f.html

"In an aircraft accident that involves a fuel-fed fire, cabin air
temperatures could be expected to reach 662 degrees F (350 degrees C)
and higher. During inhalation, the air temperature might be reduced to
between 360 degrees F and 302 degrees F (182 degrees C and 150 degrees C
[respectively]) by the time the air reached the larynx"

They also mention the wet towel, although they talk about things
that aren't safety related (apparently only the HCN is what we care
about for the wet towel):

“Wet towels will filter out smoke particles, acid gases such as
hydrogen chloride and hydrogen fluoride, and hydrogen cyanide.
Breathing through clothing will also filter out smoke particles,
but it will be less effective in filtering out acid gases
and hydrogen cyanide. Neither a wet towel nor clothing will
filter out carbon monoxide.”

As an aside, they mentioned that slowing down people for one
second could cost one life, so, you don't want incapacitated
people blocking the aisles.