Unbelievable Airbus A380 vertical Take-off + Amazing Air Show ( HD ) Paris Air show 2013

Old October 3rd 14, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Unbelievable Airbus A380 vertical Take-off + Amazing Air Show ( HD ) Paris Air show 2013

Wanna see, what happens if you place two former military pilots of the French
Navy in the cockpit of an Airbus A380? A vertical take-off and some acrobatic
maneuvers are the result. Two pilots who previously worked for the French Navy
have been working as test pilots for Airbus since a few years. This was the
most amazing A380 performance I have ever seen. Very impressive to see such a
big bird gliding threw the skies as if it would be a small Cessna. Of course
the fuel tanks were empty because the Airbus just made a short presentation
flight for the audience in France. I hope I could see such a performance again
someday: http://youtu.be/RJxnwF-MPi0

A380 Approach and Landing KSFO San Francisco SUBTITLES English (without
commentary): http://youtu.be/ENe89j89tBA

More videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Cargospotter/videos
Old October 3rd 14, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

Wanna see, what happens if you place two former military pilots of the French
Navy in the cockpit of an Airbus A380? A vertical take-off and some acrobatic
maneuvers are the result. Two pilots who previously worked for the French Navy
have been working as test pilots for Airbus since a few years. This was the
most amazing A380 performance I have ever seen. Very impressive to see such a
big bird gliding threw the skies as if it would be a small Cessna. Of course
the fuel tanks were empty because the Airbus just made a short presentation
flight for the audience in France. I hope I could see such a performance again
someday: http://youtu.be/RJxnwF-MPi0

A380 Approach and Landing KSFO San Francisco SUBTITLES English (without
commentary): http://youtu.be/ENe89j89tBA

More videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Cargospotter/videos

Nor "acrobatics" or, more precisely, aerobatics there. They never
exceeded 60 deg bank angle (more like 45 deg), nor 30 deg. climb angle.
They also never retracted the flaps, allowing for enhanced low-speed
maneuvering. Also, isn't it amazing how low-speed maneuverability is
enhanced with (very) minimum fuel load and no payload?

Yes -- it is impressive to see such a huge bird put through its paces --
especially when its very size makes it look as if it is barely moving.
Old October 3rd 14, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george152

On 03/10/14 13:00, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

[...]

Yup.
The first B747 I ever saw just seemed to stay in one place and the world
around it grew smaller...
Old October 3rd 14, 08:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

Larry Dighera wrote in
news
http://youtu.be/RJxnwF-MPi0

I wanna see 'em Tex Johnston the thing.

Brian
--
http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/index.php - Earth Sciences discussion
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old October 3rd 14, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Skywise wrote:

Larry Dighera wrote in
news
http://youtu.be/RJxnwF-MPi0

I wanna see 'em Tex Johnston the thing.

Brian

Any airplane that can take 3G can be aileron rolled successfully. It
would be like watching an elephant dance.
Old October 3rd 14, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert Moore

Orval Fairbairn wrote
Any airplane that can take 3G can be aileron rolled successfully. It
would be like watching an elephant dance.

Why 3Gs? I don't recall any specific elevator input when doing
aileron rolls back in my Navy aerobatic training nor more
recently while flying a YAK-52. You aren't one of those people
who confuse aileron rolls with barrel rolls are you?

Bob Moore
Old October 4th 14, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_3_]

On Friday, October 3, 2014 5:28:05 PM UTC-4, Robert Moore wrote:
Orval Fairbairn wrote

Any airplane that can take 3G can be aileron rolled successfully. It

would be like watching an elephant dance.

Why 3Gs? I don't recall any specific elevator input when doing

aileron rolls back in my Navy aerobatic training nor more

recently while flying a YAK-52. You aren't one of those people

who confuse aileron rolls with barrel rolls are you?

Bob Moore

Just happened on the thread in passing by. Like to answer this for you but experience tells me not a good idea. :-))
Best to you Bob,
Dudley Henriques
Old October 4th 14, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article . 167,
Robert Moore wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote
Any airplane that can take 3G can be aileron rolled successfully. It
would be like watching an elephant dance.

Why 3Gs? I don't recall any specific elevator input when doing
aileron rolls back in my Navy aerobatic training nor more
recently while flying a YAK-52. You aren't one of those people
who confuse aileron rolls with barrel rolls are you?

Bob Moore

Just in case there is a pooch waiting for you at the end.
Old October 4th 14, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_3_]

On Friday, October 3, 2014 5:28:05 PM UTC-4, Robert Moore wrote:
Orval Fairbairn wrote

Any airplane that can take 3G can be aileron rolled successfully. It

would be like watching an elephant dance.

Why 3Gs? I don't recall any specific elevator input when doing

aileron rolls back in my Navy aerobatic training nor more

recently while flying a YAK-52. You aren't one of those people

who confuse aileron rolls with barrel rolls are you?

Bob Moore

I'm fairly sure Orval means that the airplane should be capable of at least 3g's coming off the backside of the roll, especially for a non-aerobatic airplane. In an aileron roll in these airplanes you will be above 1g temporarily as you pull the nose up to a set point to initiate the roll. Once the roll begins you can of course unload the wing or go over the top at 1g as desired. But the back side recovery will be a rolling pullout with asymmetrical g loading on the wings. It's here you have to be careful in non aerobatic aircraft. The ability to handle at least 3g's would be a reasonable number.
Dudley Henriques
Old October 4th 14, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Dudley Henriques wrote:

[...]

Another factor, not usually talked about is the lateral centrifugal
accelerations imposed on the engine pods -- both lateral from the
rolling and the coupled inertial forces between the rotating masses and
the airframe attitude changes.

An old co-worker described an autopilot test in the Convair 880:

He was applying a preplanned set of gains to the autopilot and reading
the aircraft responses when another told him to look outside at the
engines. He said that one of the engines was moving in a figure-eight
motion -- they immediately suspended the tests.

When you have such large, flexible structures flying in unusual motions,
you may see some unusual (and not always pleasant) sights.