Is a 152 a good start?

Old April 19th 05, 10:04 PM
AliR

Default Is a 152 a good start?

Hi Everyone,

I just saw an ad for an IFR 1978 152 with 5230 total hours, 370 SMOH for
$30K.

Is that a good first plane? I am wondering how much insurance will run for
such an airplane (I am IFR with 230+ hours, working on Commercial ticket).

How much is the operational cost of a 152?

AliR.

Old April 19th 05, 10:08 PM
Dan Luke

"AliR" wrote:
I just saw an ad for an IFR 1978 152 with 5230 total hours, 370 SMOH for
$30K.

Is that a good first plane?

A Cherokee 140 is a more useful airplane for about the same money.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old April 19th 05, 10:34 PM
Casey Wilson

"AliR" wrote in message
. ..
Hi Everyone,

I just saw an ad for an IFR 1978 152 with 5230 total hours, 370 SMOH for
$30K.

Is that a good first plane? I am wondering how much insurance will run for
such an airplane (I am IFR with 230+ hours, working on Commercial ticket).

How much is the operational cost of a 152?

Overall, it is a good first plane. Five GPH is a reasonable number for
fuel consumption in the -15x series. But if you are going to include all the
ownership costs in figuring the operational cost per hour, too many
variables exist for me to help there. While the -152 might be a reasonable
IFR training platform, it might not be all that comfortable in the skag. For
example, with the relatively slower speed you'll thrash around in the
turbulence longer and the excursions may well be more dramatic. But you've
probably already figured that out.
If you are a member of AOPA, you can do an aircraft evaluation (VRef)
on the web site. That's a good place to find out the value. The more
information you have about the avionics, the more accurate will be the
valuation.

Old April 19th 05, 11:13 PM
John Galban

Casey Wilson wrote:
If you are a member of AOPA, you can do an aircraft evaluation

(VRef)
on the web site. That's a good place to find out the value. The more
information you have about the avionics, the more accurate will be

the
valuation.

I've been using VRef for years and the values they put out are always
high. They are generally higher than the asking prices that you see
published TAP (which means they're probably much higher than the actual
sale price).

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old April 20th 05, 12:49 AM
Carl Orton

Depends on what you really want to do with it. For a time builder, it can't
be beat. If you want to fly *with* anyone (and either of you are more than
170 lbs), it's not that good.

When I was looking for my first plane, I, too, was considering only
150/152s. Every plane I looked at, when I asked why they were selling it,
said "I should have bought a 172!". So I bought a 172. Now I realize I
should have bought a 182, because I want more speed.

Insurance cost is a function of hull value. I got a quote of $650 from
AOPAIA last year for a $20K 150. I pay $850 for a 40K 172. Since you have
your IFR ticket, it will be quite a bit less.

Operational cost, calculated VERY roughly, is (gals per hr x fuel cost) +
(insurance / hrs per year) + (annual hangar cost / hrs per year) + (engine
reserve fee [~$15K / # hrs remaining on engine]) + (annual inspection cost /
hrs per year) + (a WAG value on maintenance reserve cost per hour [how much
you want to set aside for things you think *might* break, enhancements you
might want to add, etc.]).

I fly about 80 hrs per year. I probably pay more for the plane than rental
costs, but it's 100% mine, I can fly when *I* want, and know every square
inch of it. THAT is an intangible value!

Carl

. ..

Old April 20th 05, 02:24 AM
aluckyguess

I went with a Cherokee 180. I still think I made the right choice a year
later. Its a good plane. It will carry 4 good size people and travel @ 140
mph with a 9 gallon an hour fuel burn.

. ..

Old April 20th 05, 03:42 AM
Newps

AliR wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I just saw an ad for an IFR 1978 152 with 5230 total hours, 370 SMOH for
$30K.

Is that a good first plane?

Only if you live near sea level. Here at 3600 feet they are a joke.
Old April 20th 05, 04:18 AM
George Patterson

AliR wrote:

Is that a good first plane? I am wondering how much insurance will run for
such an airplane (I am IFR with 230+ hours, working on Commercial ticket).

My first aircraft was a 150. I thought it made a pretty good first plane.
Consider a couple things, though.

If you actually try to fly in IMC, it's a little slow and a bit short on fuel.
Finding a decent alternate when the weather's bad for several States around can
be difficult.

If you're one of these people who believe that real humans weigh at least 200
pounds, it's a single-seater.

How much is the operational cost of a 152?

Insurance will probably be between $700 and $900. Flat-rate annuals will run you
around $500. Allow another $500 for unexpected maintenance. Cruising properly
leaned, they burn about 5.8 gph. The cost of tie-downs or hangars varies a lot;
check locally. I vaguely recall spending about $5,000 one year on my 150 and
flew about 100 hours. That was in the early '90s.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.
Old April 20th 05, 04:41 AM
Matt Barrow

"AliR" wrote in message
. ..
Hi Everyone,

I just saw an ad for an IFR 1978 152 with 5230 total hours, 370 SMOH for
$30K.

Is that a good first plane?

It depends on what you intend to use it for (of course). If it's just for
fun and building hours for one or two people it's probably okay.

I am wondering how much insurance will run for
such an airplane (I am IFR with 230+ hours, working on Commercial ticket).

For that background it'll probably bee less than your car insurance if you
live in California or Arizona! :~)

How much is the operational cost of a 152?

Sorry...someone else will have to fill that in.

Old April 20th 05, 04:43 AM
Matt Barrow

"Newps" wrote in message
news

AliR wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I just saw an ad for an IFR 1978 152 with 5230 total hours, 370 SMOH for
$30K.

Is that a good first plane?

Only if you live near sea level. Here at 3600 feet they are a joke.

Come on up here (5800 feet) and say that! :~)

--
Matt