FAA Rejects Farnsworth Lantern Test

Old August 4th 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Default FAA Rejects Farnsworth Lantern Test

Roy Smith wrote:

If you cannot distinguish red, green, and white, you cannot recognize an
aircraft's position lights, and thus determine it's orientation to you.

if you rely on color to determine risk of collisions, you may be the
one having a problem. Anyway this argument has been debunked long
ago.

--Sylvain
Old August 4th 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article , "Morgans"
wrote:

if you rely on color to determine risk of collisions, you may be the
one having a problem. Anyway this argument has been debunked long
ago.

If that is so, why do airplanes still use different colored lights, instead
of all the same color lights?

inertia?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old August 4th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

chuckle That is as good of an answer as any other! g
--
Jim in NC

Did anyone else notice that Jim somehow managed to POST-date/time this
post with an 8:35 AM send time? This has placed it at the top o' the
heap (in Google Groups) since he posted it.

How'd you do that, Jim? Or was it just a glitch in the Google matrix?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 4th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article , "Morgans"
wrote:

if you rely on color to determine risk of collisions, you may be the
one having a problem. Anyway this argument has been debunked long
ago.

If that is so, why do airplanes still use different colored lights,

instead
of all the same color lights?

inertia?

chuckle That is as good of an answer as any other! g

We got into this a while back, and it seemed to be that there is no FAR
regulating who is to hold course, and who is to change course, when it comes
to intersecting paths in flight. What holds true with colored lights and
right of way in boats is not true for airplanes, so I was told, here.

That seems like it is an omission, to me. It seems like both airplanes
could make a change to avoid each other, and instead, both change course in
the direction that takes you right into each other.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 4th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article . com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

chuckle That is as good of an answer as any other! g

Did anyone else notice that Jim somehow managed to POST-date/time this
post with an 8:35 AM send time? This has placed it at the top o' the
heap (in Google Groups) since he posted it.
How'd you do that, Jim? Or was it just a glitch in the Google matrix?

Change the time on your computer.
Old August 4th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2006-08-04, Roy Smith wrote:
You see two lights at 12 O'Clock. Is the other aircraft moving towards you
or away from you? Would it help if I told you what color the two lights
were?

You only have to be able to determine the colour of one light. Since the
red/green lights only shine forward, if you see a colour other than
white, you know the other aircraft is facing you.

Since colour deficient people can at least determine one of red or
green, that's sufficient to tell whether the other aircraft is facing
you or has its tail to you.

Old August 4th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
chuckle That is as good of an answer as any other! g
--
Jim in NC

Did anyone else notice that Jim somehow managed to POST-date/time this
post with an 8:35 AM send time? This has placed it at the top o' the
heap (in Google Groups) since he posted it.

How'd you do that, Jim? Or was it just a glitch in the Google matrix?

Down the rabbit hole!

No, really, my ISP or the contracted news server seems to have a problem
with time. For a week or two, about a year back, I was one or two hours
fast on all of my posts. I think they were posting it with St Louis time,
which is where the Charter home office is.

Who knows, this time!
--
Jim in NC

Old August 4th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

Did anyone else notice that Jim somehow managed to POST-date/time this
post with an 8:35 AM send time? This has placed it at the top o' the
heap (in Google Groups) since he posted it.
How'd you do that, Jim? Or was it just a glitch in the Google matrix?

Change the time on your computer.

Nope. Posts are time stamped by the news server your ISP uses.
--
Jim in NC
Old March 9th 13, 04:15 AM
wgator58 wgator58 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Copeland View Post
"Important note: The FAA no longer accepts The Farnsworth Lantern D15."

I just happened to stumble on this. I have been planning to take the
Farnsworth Lanterns test. Seems it's no longer accepted by the FAA. For
AOPA members, here's the link:
http://www.aopa.org/members/files/medical/colorvis.html

Also according to that link, you can only take the signal light test
twice. After that, they may refuse to allow you to take it again.

The link also lists the following as acceptable substitutes. They
recommend trying to pass one of these with your optimologist before you
apply for the signal light test. Anyone have any idea which one is
preferred since the Farnsworth test is no longer allowed?
* Keystone Orthoscope.
* Keystone Telebinocular.
* LKC Technologies, Inc., APT-5 Color Vision Tester.
* OPTEC 2000 Vision Tester (Model Nos. 2000PM, 2000PAME, and 2000PI).
* Titmus Vision Tester.
* Titmus 11 Vision Tester (Model Nos. Tll and TIIS).
* Titmus 2 Vision Tester Model Nos. T2A and T2S).

Greg
They do accept the FARNSWORTH LANTERN test. I just talked to the FAA today.